What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Side/Era put together!

Munky

Coach
Bump!

With changes.

This is an upsetting task IMO due to how short each window was for each champion team which is lacking automatic selections to the GOAT side.

For me (born 85 so relying on bad memory)

1. Wesser (short peak but amazing while it lasted) Edwards, complete defensive fullback with probably over 1,000 metres in grand finals.
2. Rooney (another short peak but amazing under the high ball)
3. Girds
4. Fitler Critta
5. To'o (a six again every set in 2020 and 2021)
6. Presto (picking him as he took control when Gower was blinded in a Gf. Also don't want to have our other great halfbacks in a position they weren't known for playing)
7. Cleary (Gower was good for two seasons at best at half and I can't remember Brandy).

8. Lang (only knew one way) Moses
9. Priddo (best gf performance by any player of the NRL era)
10. Fish
11. Tony P Martin
12. Kikau (A Ferrari surrounded by Hiluxes so this side could carry his lack of involvement)
13. Yeoweh

14. Gower (great hooker and halves cover)
15. Sorro (two seasons of pure impact off the bench, recency bias I know)
16. Geyer (before my time but for the aggression)
17. Lewis (not sure which year but could cover every position bar hooker, prop and fullback). Tony P

Brandy missing out due to my own viewing, maybe switch for Gower.

Edit: I'm viewing this from a modern lens where defence in the middle is everything and Yeo is an all timer.

Spencer may have made the bench but his lack of attention to detail in the ruck defending was exploitable.

At lunch I might do a second seventeen.

Munky

Coach
Second seventeen:

1. Wesser
2. Lewis
3. Izzard
4. Tago
5, Mick Gordon
6. Luai
7. Alexander
8. Lang
9. Simmons
10. Clinton
11. Cartwright
12. Joe G
13. Vandervoort

14. Fittler
15. Spencer
16. Waterhouse
17. Rodney (only because he was my favourite player for years)

Harsh on Scarter.

Picked on reputation for the early 90s fellas.

Struggled with the second winger and Flash was awesome for us.

soc123_au

Staff member
Second seventeen:

1. Wesser
2. Lewis
3. Izzard
4. Tago
5, Mick Gordon
6. Luai
7. Alexander
8. Lang
9. Simmons
10. Clinton
11. Cartwright
12. Joe G
13. Vandervoort

14. Fittler
15. Spencer
16. Waterhouse
17. Rodney (only because he was my favourite player for years)

Harsh on Scarter.

Picked on reputation for the early 90s fellas.

Struggled with the second winger and Flash was awesome for us.
I'm thinking of doing a best team via a poll on each position over the off season. We did it 5 or 6 years ago, so it will be interesting to see what changes there are. I'd imagine quite a few.

Pomoz

Bench
I am lucky enough to have seen all our GF teams play. I watched the 91 team from when they were juniors. Alexander and Fittler were the two best players in that side.

If i had to combine the lot, only those who played in a GF make the cut, and I am trying to create a team with some balance. I would probably go:

1. Edwards - Is there any truth in the rumour he declined to get the team bus home after the grand final? Apparently, he said he wanted to run home, to keep his fitness up.

2. To'o - In the team for his amazing hair. Can play a bit too. I thought I saw somebody tackle him one on one and stop him dead in his tracks. Turns out the ref had blown for half time. As the saying goes "Wingers are people who hang around footballers. But not Brian"

3. Girdler - Tago might overtake him one day, but he was criminally underrated. Skilful, quick, great vision and a smart player.

4. Fittler - Even at 18, playing against the premier centre in the game (Mal Meninga), on the biggest stage, he didn't take a backward step. Before anybody knew who he was, he was 17 and I was at a game where he once stepped through the Bronco's backline and beat the fullback with a step so big he wasn't actually able to put a hand on him before he placed the ball between the posts. The Bronco's players turned to each other and are like "who the f*ck was that".

5. Crichton - on the wing in 21 and was brilliant. He moves out because Freddy really was that good. He captained. Australia when Penrith was as popular as haemorrhoids.

6. Alexander - His defence was not as good as Luai's but his vision and kicking were much better. Oh and his running. Poetry.

7. Cleary - I think he is now the Panther GOAT. You can stand down now Brandy, it's time to rest.

8. JFH - I can't believe Lang loses out, but OMG JFH is a superstar.

9. Priddis - This was the toughest position. Api was good, but I think prime Priddis was better. Kenny may yet claim this place. We haven't seen the best of him yet.

10. Leota - Why do they call you "Tank" Moses? Nuff said. Our two props are the best we have ever had. They are literally the rocks on which this current team was built. When they were both on the field on Sunday, the Broncos scored NIL points. Nil. Nada. Nowt. F*ck all. You shall not pass. Billy Slater must be so happy they are Kiwi's.

11. Martin - He has all the aggro of Geyer without the brain explosions. A maniac with brains.

12. Lewis - He was such a versatile player. Winger, centre, lock, back rower. He could do it all. Tony P could be amazing too. Or not. Just depended whether he could be arsed. Geyer or Cartwright were better players than Tony P, but Lewis was more skilled than all of them.

13. Yeo - well duh! My favourite comment about Yeo was a journalist talking about Jake T and saying that when Jake T goes to sleep at night, Yeo is the ball playing lock he dreams he is.

14. Gower - a brilliant, tough utility. Don't forget to lock the drinks cabinet though.

15. Geyer - in case this team isn't tough enough, he can bring some extra oomph. I once watched him knock Graham Wynn out with a shoulder tackle (they were legal then). Wynn was a big man and part of the Eels three peat team. He was asleep before he hit the floor. MG is the only player I have ever seen scare QLD SOO forwards. They were actually shitting themselves and he was trying to tear them limb from limb.

I think it would probably be made illegal to have Geyer, Martin, JFH and Leota on the field at the same time. It would constitute displaying offensive weapons in a built up area. Might need a special licence.

16. Lang - The Kamikaze every team needs. Nails hard. Fearless, although even he might baulk at running at this pack. "Err, sorry, hamstrings playing up. You take this hitup".

17. Cartwright - Kikau was also in with a shout, flashy and explosive, but Carty captained the club. When the chips are down, he will not let you down. Skilful, tough, great ball player and a true team man.

Oodles of skill and a forward pack so tough even Chuck Norris would back down. As for creativity, Fittler, Girdler, Alexander, Cleary. That is just bucket loads of points. Conversions? OMG Cleary, Girdler, Alexander, Crichton!!

What a team this would be. Its almost a cheat code.

Iamback

Coach
How many make our best ever 17? Api and Yeo 100%. Nathan will surpass Brandy (we all know why he didn't have the career he should have). Fish at least makes the bench as well

You look back, These sides lacked middles, forwards in general

Yeo, Moses, JFH and Martin all make it on achievement and the fact they will be top of the games played at the end of their time here

Latest posts