What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Side/Era put together!

gUt

Coach
Not mine. He was a bad signing for us. A poor attitude and trouble maker as a captain. His influence in the other players was virtually nil. There is reason Gus cleaned the place out when he came on board. Jennings , Lewis, Petero, all left and they were our best players. How bad was the attitude at the club? Petero was supposed to be captain and set an example, but we sucked.
Really, I had no idea. I think you got the better of that trade tho lol

Munky

Coach
Best player vs greatest in a team can be weird.

For example Harry Kewell is the best player I've seen in a Socceroo jersey.

However Tim Cahill is easily the greatest Socceroo of my life time for what he did in the jersey.

Petero is the most complete prop I've seen, but wasn't that guy playing for us.

hindy111

Post Whore

However Tim Cahill is easily the greatest Socceroo of my life time for what he did in the jersey.

Yes agree. Cahill scored goals at crucial times but didn't have the skill of Viduka or Kewell.
What happened to the soceroos. Back then every player was in a top flight leage. Epl,Spain,Italy. If they come from the Dutch league it would be seen as a low point.

I put it down to these where all the kids of immigrants who lived and breathed soccer. Now they are feeding off the A-League. Do we even have one player in the top 3 leagues? I feel it's in the safest state ever.

age.s

First Grade
Yes agree. Cahill scored goals at crucial times but didn't have the skill of Viduka or Kewell.
What happened to the soceroos. Back then every player was in a top flight leage. Epl,Spain,Italy. If they come from the Dutch league it would be seen as a low point.

I put it down to these where all the kids of immigrants who lived and breathed soccer. Now they are feeding off the A-League. Do we even have one player in the top 3 leagues? I feel it's in the safest state ever.
I think having a semi dysfunctional national league forced players with ability to stay overseas, where now it's easier to get a cushy A-League gig and coast. McLaren's a good example of a guy who's career trajectory may have changed if he was forced to slug it out in Europe in his early 20s. Very talented player but there's something missing.

I have a strong suspicion that decoupling the national league from the heritage (read, ethnic) clubs may have caused some problems with the junior pathways but thats more of a hunch than anything else.

BossleyPanther

Juniors

Went to school with Harry. This current generation are very awkward to watch. Not many Europeans in the squad. Just barge smash and run. The system used all the way up to the Socceroos is so wrong.

Sime_11

Juniors
there's too much focus on fitness & physicality than skill in Australian Soccer - from what I've heard - the pathways/development is a very selfish process where it's who you know rather than actual ability.

there's 1 kid in Italy (Roma I believe) who couldn't crack the A-league ... was told by Sydney clubs they arent good enough.

Iamback

Coach

The opposite is Freddy, He never played his best footy here

Kilkenny

Coach
Not mine. He was a bad signing for us. A poor attitude and trouble maker as a captain. His influence in the other players was virtually nil. There is reason Gus cleaned the place out when he came on board. Jennings , Lewis, Petero, all left and they were our best players. How bad was the attitude at the club? Petero was supposed to be captain and set an example, but we sucked.
I’m not sure about his attitude on or off the field, I always felt on the field Petero gave his all. There were obviously issues in the playing group and yes Gus Gould made some tough decisions that had to be made. I still feel Petero gave 100% on the field at least thats the way I saw his on field performances.

Latest posts