What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green 'fitter than league stars'

dazeely

First Grade
Green 'fitter than league stars'
By Grantlee Kieza
April 5, 2006

WITH six weeks to go before he tackles Anthony Mundine at a celebrated rugby league stadium, Danny Green has been declared fitter than any player in the NRL.

At 76kg he may not have the size or strength of the game's giants such as Brad Thorn or Shane Tronc but the gurus behind the Parramatta Eels' conditioning say Green is in better mental and physical shape than any footballer in the country.
"Without a doubt he is the most complete athlete I've worked with," said the Eels' physical performance manager Hayden Knowles, the man overseeing Green's fitness training for the Mundine fight on May 17 at Aussie Stadium.
"Obviously there are bigger and stronger guys playing in the NRL but in terms of overall endurance, mental toughness, speed and power Danny wins.
"We had a junior league team training alongside Danny at Parramatta Stadium recently and they were just in awe of his work.
"In rugby league terms he has the passion of Mark Riddell, the professionalism of Nathan Cayless and the fitness and strength of a Nathan Hindmarsh."
Knowles and physical trainer Craig Catterick work closely with Green's boxing coach - Bangkok-based Cuban Ismael Salas - in ensuring the Sydney Olympian hits his peak for the shootout after sundown on May 17.
"I've worked with a lot of league players who were really dedicated with their training - Cayless, Stephen Kearney at New Zealand, Jason Taylor and Gary Larson. But Danny is as dedicated and committed as any of them and he has an intensity and determination all on his own."
Green resumed training with Knowles and Catterick yesterday after spending the last month in Perth and he says training at Parramatta Stadium has given a new dimension to his fitness.

"I've never felt fitter or stronger," Green said. "My back injury has come good and I'm tapering perfectly for the big night. I've been waiting six years to fight Anthony Mundine and I can't wait for that bell to ring."

The Daily Telegraph

Y2Eel

First Grade
well youd want to be fit to step into a ring for 12 rounds and get your head bashed in....

stiffmeister

Bench
Not surprised, we the martial artists & boxers run rings around footy players in terms of fitness & athleticism. Like I say, I'd gladly train Parra players if they seek my training skills

Utey

Coach
stiff-meister eel said:
Not surprised, we the martial artists & boxers run rings around footy players in terms of fitness & athleticism. Like I say, I'd gladly train Parra players if they seek my training skills

ahahhaha does anyone see the comedy factor in this :lol:

parralight

Juniors
I dont know, always thought that Parra players were a little - unfit ....
The Cowboys are really fit under Billy Johnstone.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Pft.

Hindmarsh would eat Green for breakfast.

Anyway, they're vastly different sports. I'd say it's harder and more draining to run, play the ball, chase the kick, make the tackle and repeat for 80 minutes than run around like an idiot for an hour trying to punch someone.

Yeah, I hate boxing. Still - football is very demanding. ANY code - soccer, AFL, Union and League.

Pazza

First Grade
parralight said:
I dont know, always thought that Parra players were a little - unfit ....
The Cowboys are really fit under Billy Johnstone.

Billy Johnstone = Success

Some of those cowboys are incredible physical condition. Much like the Bulldogs where while Billy was there

coca-cola

Juniors
given how weak penrith are on the wings i expect parramatta to run around them all game. i would love to see green do the same to mundine.

Stagger eel

Staff member
stiff-meister eel said:

they'd benefit from a world title holder like yourself.

sooperdooper

First Grade
i agree danny is in great shape, as is mundine! and i do beleive both would better mentally and physically fitter than nrl players...

i am actually going for mundine is this fight! i wish danny luck but can not see him beating mundine