What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Alexander

Vee

First Grade
Question for Smug fans. Brandy's been on the Panthers board for years, what qualifications does he bring? I get that he's probably the most naturally talented player I've ever seen, favourite son of the club and their first superstar, is it just his football knowledge? Does he have a business background?

I don't rate him as an expert at all, he wouldn't be commentating if I was paying. Freddie hand-picked him as his closest advisor, together they talked a good game and had their tires pumped up by the Sydney media but it didn't amount to much and eventually ended in tears.

I'm not having a shot, genuine question, what does he bring?

soc123_au

Staff member
Question for Smug fans. Brandy's been on the Panthers board for years, what qualifications does he bring? I get that he's probably the most naturally talented player I've ever seen, favourite son of the club and their first superstar, is it just his football knowledge? Does he have a business background?

I don't rate him as an expert at all, he wouldn't be commentating if I was paying. Freddie hand-picked him as his closest advisor, together they talked a good game and had their tires pumped up by the Sydney media but it didn't amount to much and eventually ended in tears.

Just speculating, but he probably understands what he is good at and lets those with the knowhow do the things they are good at. He is a recognisable face on the board would be how it started I'd say and he was smart enough to just go with it.

Back in the day he had a trophy shop, but iirc it went belly up. He was young then and would be a lot more savvy now you would think.

MugaB

Coach

Ahhh the old flog....
You need to start listen to sen radio... he gives pretty good all round RL analysis, not sure what qualities he brings at board level, might just be a case of giving a top job to the most reviered person currently at the club... Brandy is Penrith, there is no Penrith without him

You could say the same about Darren lockyer and the Broncos, Cameron Smith at the Storm, or Jonathan Thurston at the Cowboys

Vee

First Grade
Ahhh the old flog....
You need to start listen to sen radio... he gives pretty good all round RL analysis, not sure what qualities he brings at board level, might just be a case of giving a top job to the most reviered person currently at the club... Brandy is Penrith, there is no Penrith without him

You could say the same about Darren lockyer and the Broncos, Cameron Smith at the Storm, or Jonathan Thurston at the Cowboys
I've heard enough of him on Kayo, rarely says anything worthwhile.

Wasn't aware Smith and Thurston were on club boards but JT has his own foundation as well as a share of Skytrans so he probably offers a bit. Locky's seems a fair comparison.

I can’t say exactly what Brandy brings to the Board, but that is one of the reason why I think the Board as a whole is doing a good job; keeps itself to itself largely. However, when things need to be said it is generally Matt C and Brandy.