What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

duck_dodgers

Juniors
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rugby_league/article5533706.ece

From The Times

January 17, 2009

Bradford swoop for Greg Bird’s signature after other suitors lose interest

Christopher Irvine

div#related-article-links p a, div#related-article-links p a:visited {color:#06c;}Bradford Bulls emerged yesterday as surprise winners in the race by engage Super League clubs to sign Greg Bird, the controversial 24-year-old Australia stand-off, who earlier gained a release from his four-year contract at Cronulla Sharks to revive his career in England.

Bird has been sidelined at Cronulla since he was arrested for allegedly attacking Katie Milligan, his American girlfriend, in August. He is due in court in Sydney on April 27 on charges of reckless wounding, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and lying to police. Bird has maintained his innocence and Milligan has stood by him.

Bradford swooped for Bird after Wigan Warriors pulled out of the race and Warrington Wolves and Huddersfield Giants, who have been casting around for a replacement for Todd Carney, the Australian who was refused a visa by the British High Commission in Canberra last week, withdrew their interest.

Ian Lenagan, the Wigan chairman, confirmed that the Warriors had made a bid for the player, but added: “We are not going to bust the salary cap and we are not going to pay stupid money to bring Bird to Wigan.”
Bradford have lined up Bird as a direct replacement for Iestyn Harris, the former dual-code Wales player who has dropped down a division to join Featherstone Rovers as a player-coach.

While Bradford wait on Bird’s visa application, Michael Crocker, the Australia forward, has revealed that a criminal conviction has been holding up his move to Hull. The second-row forward had been due at the club last month but has yet to receive a visa and was in Melbourne as his new team-mates travelled to Portugal this week for their pre-season camp.

Crocker, who has been training with his former team-mates at Melbourne Storm, said that British Embassy officials had requested copies of police and court documents from his arrest and conviction for affray after a scuffle outside a Sydney hotel in 2005.

“Right now I am just waiting on the legal documents they requested to arrive,” Crocker said. “I am hoping they will get here this week, so I can get it completed and sent off by Monday, so they can do their review. Once the work permit comes through I will book a flight and get over there. Hopefully I will be there in time to at least have a few hit-outs with the boys before the season starts.”

-----------

this question from the UK visa application will be the curly one ...

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/pbs/tier2sportsperson.pdf

E3. Has the applicant ever been charged in any country with a criminal offence for which he/she has not yet been tried in court ?

If answered yes please give further details .

----------

given the British high commision's recent history of delaying and/or refusing work visa applications I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for Greg Bird running onto the field with Bradford anytime soon .

MsStorm

Bench
Sounds like Mick Crocker's should go through soon, but with Bird its a different story.....there's got to be a catch in this somewhere or else he would not have signed...bet it has something to do with his girlfriend..

Just a question: was Greg Bird charged with contempt of court for visiting Kate Milligan in the US? If it is a part of the charges to be filed, could any police / lawyers on this forum tell me what kind of sentence he could expect for:

- Contempt of court
- Falsifying a report to police
- Assault and battery
- GBH
- Other charges not thought of by a hack like myself who hasn't watched a cop show since Water Rats / Stingers

The Dodger

First Grade
the avo is only valid in nsw.
they cant do shiit about him visiting her in the US.

bird will be back.

its a shame it will be for another team though.

cant wait to see peoples comments when he signs with their team too.

Gaba

First Grade
J what kind of sentence he could expect for:

- Contempt of court
- Falsifying a report to police
- Assault and battery
- GBH
- Other charges not thought of by a hack like myself who hasn't watched a cop show since Water Rats / Stingers

Hard to answer i guess its up to the judge to decide
I would give him the number of years the sharks havent won premierships :)

Last edited:
the avo is only valid in nsw.
they cant do shiit about him visiting her in the US.

bird will be back.

its a shame it will be for another team though.

cant wait to see peoples comments when he signs with their team too.
One of the sections included Bird not being able to visit or have contact with Katie Milligan at all, be it at Cronulla, the USA, or Mars.

The Dodger

First Grade
and that is why nothing happened.

it is only valid in NSW.

DOnt believe everything the meida tells you now...