What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surely

Post Whore
look in the end i am just disspointed with the inconsistency shown by the nrl, this was in all likelyhood a one off accidental incedent and bird is rubbed out.

Then we have another player from another club who has an AVO against him, has allegedly slapped around a previous partner, then makes inappropriate remarks to a sponsors daughter, when he arcs up about it he slaps him around as well. A serial assaulter, still playing the game.

I want them to be consistent with their stance towards players who find themselves in trouble off the field.

Gaba

First Grade
look in the end i am just disspointed with the inconsistency shown by the nrl, this was in all likelyhood a one off accidental incedent and bird is rubbed out.

Then we have another player from another club who has an AVO against him, has allegedly slapped around a previous partner, then makes inappropriate remarks to a sponsors daughter, when he arcs up about it he slaps him around as well. A serial assaulter, still playing the game.

I want them to be consistent with their stance towards players who find themselves in trouble off the field.

But bird didnt only lie to the police he lied to the sharks, the other players havent lied to the police or thier clubs so you cant put them in the same bracket

Gaba

First Grade
Bird put this on himself, if he didnt lied to the club then the club may have protected him more then they did, but since he lied to them and the police Bird's own doing you cant blame the nrl , Bird is to blame himself

Surely

Post Whore
Bird put this on himself, if he didnt lied to the club then the club may have protected him more then they did, but since he lied to them and the police Bird's own doing you cant blame the nrl , Bird is to blame himself

So Gaba you are more concerned with lying than serial assaulting ?

Not one off gabba, but a history of it.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
why do you continue to talk to Gaba.
He takes issues with lies. Because he doesn't lie. Because his girlfriend doesnt lie. He thinks.

Dave Q

Coach
geeze Old Marcus Enfield must have been gagging from the stench.

look at him struggling to breath.

einfeldcrop-420x0.jpg

Hes seen a lot of life, now he gets to see life behind bars as well.

I am waiting for his RSL club show or his book when he gets out.

My dad said that he would pay His Honour's speeding fine just to get him out of the papers as his story was wasting good journalistic space.

Make a good cellie for Bird, they can discuss legal strategies.

Last edited:

coolumsharkie

Referee

I agree 100%, f**k em all off or none of them, just be consistant.

All in all if you were a bit of a lad but a good footballer, who would you choose to play with?

Why is Stewart still playing footy? He's an alledged rapist.. WTF????

Dave Q

Coach
I agree 100%, f**k em all off or none of them, just be consistant.

All in all if you were a bit of a lad but a good footballer, who would you choose to play with?

Why is Stewart still playing footy? He's an alledged rapist.. WTF????

Because Manly are selfish vile inbred scum while your guys, however awkwardly and not devoid of misgivings, stood up for what they thought was right.

It doesnt sound like the club we all know, follow, support or were born to support, but thats what happened.

At the moment, Cronulla is the most righteous, ethical and moral club in the NRL.

The chuch of the latter day sharks.

Its a truly sickening thought for the rest of us to hold you up as role models.

Last edited:

Surely

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25407077-5006066,00.html

NRL
Article from: Bring Greg Bird back to NRL - Paul Gallen

By Andrew Webster | April 30, 2009 12:00am
Have your say!Add your comments or read what others are saying

0,,6601959,00.jpg
Guilty ... Greg Bird leaves court after his conviction. Photograph: Noel Kessel / The Daily Telegraph

SHARKS captain Paul Gallen wants to see disgraced former teammate Greg Bird playing in the NRL again - and possibly in a sky blue NSW jumper. Speaking at the Blues induction day at ANZ Stadium yesterday, Gallen expressed sympathy for his former teammate, who was convicted on Tuesday of recklessly wounding girlfriend Katie Milligan.
"He's a great talent," Gallen said. "There's no doubt he would be in this room if he was available.
"I'd love to see him keep playing footy for sure and one day return to the NRL. It'd be great. He's got nothing to prove - but there's a lot he still has to offer to the NRL."
Bird was on a flight to France last night and his management has indicated to Catalans officials he intends to appeal against the court's decision in the Supreme Court.
Meanwhile, the NRL is holding its cards close to its chest about the situation, although chief executive David Gallop last night said Bird had not been ruled out of playing in the NRL based on this week's events.
"The court process still has a fair way to go," Gallop said. "Obviously, we'd sit down with Greg and his advisers at some point - but until the court process is complete there is not much we can say or do."
Gallen met with Bird when he returned to Australia last week and has been in contact with him since he had his contract with the Sharks torn up earlier this year.
"I saw him on Friday and spoke to him then," Gallen said. "It's a legal matter and to be honest something I don't know too much about. I've just got my fingers crossed that he's all right and comes out of it all right."
Asked if he thought Bird could ever play for NSW again, Gallen replied: "That's up to him and whether his form warrants it. But he's a good enough player, if he can get back past this situation and play again in the NRL."
 CATALANS want to offer Bird an extended two-year deal despite his conviction, club officials said last night.

carcharias

Immortal
Because Manly are selfish vile inbred scum while your guys, however awkwardly and not devoid of misgivings, stood up for what they thought was right.

It doesnt sound like the club we all know, follow, support or were born to support, but thats what happened.

At the moment, Cronulla is the most righteous, ethical and moral club in the NRL.

The chuch of the latter day sharks.

Its a truly sickening thought for the rest of us to hold you up as role models.

Coming dead motherless last.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The Bird Txts.

Greg Bird

Don't come home or answer your phone to anyone buddy. Really sorry but life and death call me when you get a chance.

Greg Bird

Whatever you do don't come home!

Greg Bird

Just don't speak to anyone. Ring me when your done and wel meet somewhere and talk through it.

Sorry mate

Greg Bird

I know mate il call u when shes sweet to talk. If it looks like theres gonna be any trouble for u wel change plans straight away.

Theres no way il let u get into trouble

Greg Bird

My manager he;s helping us sort this sh*t
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25405913-5001021,00.html

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
So, the magistrate is saying he has a guilty mind(whatever that means) & has been convicted on the charges based upon his lies, well, I'm still having trouble finding where the lies are.
"shes been drinking & fell" possible lie I guess.
At this stage, the only one doing the talking & therefore lying, is Milligan.
When does Birds statement to police get released? or doesn't it?

Also CCTV shows Milligan walking to her car after the incident then Bird coming to get her. f**king weird.

Surely

Post Whore

Not sure if it does, i got a copy of the statement of facts from the prosecution in my mothers case, but if i wanted to see the brief of evidence i have to apply through FOI

samshark

Juniors
So, the magistrate is saying he has a guilty mind(whatever that means) & has been convicted on the charges based upon his lies, well, I'm still having trouble finding where the lies are.
"shes been drinking & fell" possible lie I guess.
At this stage, the only one doing the talking & therefore lying, is Milligan.

Also CCTV shows Milligan walking to her car after the incident then Bird coming to get her. f**king weird.

Let it go Reefy. We know he is guilty.
Bird had a conversation at the hospital with staff and police and that is in brief. I am sure I've actually read part of it on the news.com.au website in the articles over the last couple of days. Cant be bothered searching for it. He never made a formal police statement or interview.

At the end of the day there is one thing the magistrate said in his ruling that to me says it all (not verbatim) 'If it was some kind of accident then why not just say so'.

Gregos is right, at some point in the future you will be able to read the hearing transcript online.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Well as you well know, I was shocked at the result of this hearing. I still think it has a way to go. A long wasteful way. If I cant find the lies & I was on a jury....well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts