What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird is gone big time

Tommy Smith

Referee
Raider_69 said:
Im yet to see it but if its like its been explained nothing less than 12 weeks will be suffienient
It's every bit as bad as people have been saying and what will make it worse is the cheeky grin he gave when he kneed him in the head. Greg Bird is going to get nailed and there's a thousand camera angles to back it up.

Anonymous

Juniors
An act of frustration which was absolutley disgracful.

He knew it as soon as he done it as well.

And well done to Tony Archer for having the balls to send a player off. Other refs in the past would have just put it on report, which just sickens me.

~knights~

Juniors
Greg Bird....what were you thinking [-X

He seemed really frustrated at the time.

Shame on you! :evil:

Woods

Juniors
El Duque said:
Stevens should get a couple of weeks for his trip too.

What kills me about that is he had the balls to complain about getting penalised after it. If Archer actually knew how bad it was he'd probably have sat him down as well.

From March last year:
An angry and impassioned defence from coach Chris Anderson saved young Cronulla five-eighth Greg Bird from suspension at the National Rugby League judiciary.

Bird was found guilty of contrary conduct, but avoided a one-match ban after Anderson convinced the panel to downgrade the head-slamming offence from grade two to the most minor of misdemeanours.

Anderson was seething when the three-man panel of former hardened premiership forwards Royce Ayliffe, Mal Cochrance and Jeff Hardy initially found Bird guilty of head-slamming Melbourne front rower Rodney Howe at Toyota Park on Sunday.

Asked by judiciary chairman Greg Woods if he wished to appeal the grading, Anderson snapped: "It should be downgraded to a f***ing good tackle".

Commissioner Jim Hall said that wasn't an option, leaving Woods to intervene and instruct the panel to consider a reduced grading for Bird.

Which it swiftly did.

Bird, 19 and a rookie of just 10 top-grade games, admitted to feeling daunted at having to front the judiciary for the first time.

"I felt like I was on trial for murder," he said before offering his relief at being free to make the round-three trip to Brisbane after the Sharks' bye this weekend.

Anderson, the teenager's sole defence counsel, told the hearing of his dismay at Bird even being hauled into league headquarters.

"It beats me how you can say a 92kg player is responsible for how a 106kg player falls," Anderson said.

http://www.thefanatics.com/category/News/35330408.html

Woods

Juniors
eternaltreblinka said:
From March last year:
An angry and impassioned defence from coach Chris Anderson saved young Cronulla five-eighth Greg Bird from suspension at the National Rugby League judiciary.

Bird was found guilty of contrary conduct, but avoided a one-match ban after Anderson convinced the panel to downgrade the head-slamming offence from grade two to the most minor of misdemeanours.

Anderson was seething when the three-man panel of former hardened premiership forwards Royce Ayliffe, Mal Cochrance and Jeff Hardy initially found Bird guilty of head-slamming Melbourne front rower Rodney Howe at Toyota Park on Sunday.

Asked by judiciary chairman Greg Woods if he wished to appeal the grading, Anderson snapped: "It should be downgraded to a f***ing good tackle".

Commissioner Jim Hall said that wasn't an option, leaving Woods to intervene and instruct the panel to consider a reduced grading for Bird.

Which it swiftly did.

Bird, 19 and a rookie of just 10 top-grade games, admitted to feeling daunted at having to front the judiciary for the first time.

"I felt like I was on trial for murder," he said before offering his relief at being free to make the round-three trip to Brisbane after the Sharks' bye this weekend.

Anderson, the teenager's sole defence counsel, told the hearing of his dismay at Bird even being hauled into league headquarters.

"It beats me how you can say a 92kg player is responsible for how a 106kg player falls," Anderson said.

If he was scared after fronting for a headslam, he should be crapping his pants right about now.

ali

Bench
eternaltreblinka said:
From March last year:

Possibly the best thing he said all year. :lol:

But Anderson's influence still lasts with our club. Tonights ill discipine is a lasting reminder of Chris Anderson. Raper comes from the John Lang school of coaching so will be fuming. Our 3 front rowers plus Bailey should be put on notice to get their act together. Nutley really has a problem with penalties, the bloke is an idiot. I fear he is too old to learn, so maybe we should just get rid of him for the good of the team.

I'm not sure what to make of Bird. I'd like to think the bloke is not stupid enough to deliberately knee a guy in the head. But it sure looked bad. The only positive is that I have his likely replacement in all of my VNRL teams. Overall his loss wont hamper us as Russ Aitken is a good player, but our forwards need to get their act together.

t-ba

Post Whore
What a Gimp :lol: .

Maybe Sullivan can finally get a start?

That would mean that Norths 1999 lower grade halves, Orford, Kearney and Sullivan would all have starting gigs at their clubs. Poor Bastards were really building a nice side there before they went bankrupt.

innsaneink

Referee
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
Unlucky for him they must have got it on tape with a few angles.

Paul Rauhihi certainly got away with it.

Yeah Rauhihi got away with it allright....and only becoz there wasnt a decent camera angle of it. His was probably worse, IMO, with Hopoate bent over in a scrum with one arm around his hookers neck and the other binding with Rauhihi, he was as open as a cheap tarts pins. And Rauhihi knew it too.
I predicted 10- 12 weeks for Rauhihi .....6-10 for Bird.

skeepe

Immortal
I think the Sharks may well be without a few players next week.

Bird and Stevens are gone already. There should be no question about that. Enough has been said about Bird's cheap shot, but I think that has overshadowed something that was almost as bad, Jason Stevens deliberatly going out of his way to trip over Willie Peters in full flight. Could have been very nasty.

Then they've got Michael Sullivan on report for that high shot on MacDougall, and the judiciary may possibly want to look at Isemonger's high shot early on in the game as well.

I wonder, should they all get charged which is quite possible, would there have been 4 players from one team cited ever before in just one round?

Suspensions should be something like:

Bird 14-16 weeks
Stevens 5-6 weeks
Sullivan 1-2 weeks
Isemonger 0-1 week

Trollhammaren

Juniors
That was one of the cheapest shots I've seen in quite a while, I wouldn't disagree with him being gone for the year. Stevens should see some time on the sidelines too for that trip.

skeepe

Immortal
What gets me is the way almost every single Sharks fan on the way out of the ground tonight was whingeing about how Archer cost them the game. Archer didn't score 36 points guys, get over it.

Oh and to the guy who said Kimmorley had a cry because Bailey got pinged for being offside, the ref should have kept penalising him. He was deadset 2 metres offside at EVERY SINGLE TACKLE. His and Kimmorley's arrogance are clearly remnants of a legacy that still, unfortunately for Sharks fans, still seems to be prevalent.

thomo

Juniors
skeepe said:
What gets me is the way almost every single Sharks fan on the way out of the ground tonight was whingeing about how Archer cost them the game. Archer didn't score 36 points guys, get over it.
They were bloody lucky they didn't have players put in the sin bin. I thought it would be difficult to top some of the ill-disciplined performances that we put up last year but Cronulla did it easily tonight.

dice

Juniors
Many trips have been overlooked over the last few years. Stevens deserves time off but he would be one of the unlucky ones.

Latest posts