What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg 'Brandy' Alexander. How good was he?

Tommy Smith

Referee
I never really got to see him play. But when people talk about the great naturally talented players who could walk straight into first grade and tear it up, they mention the likes of Fittler and Brandy.

This generally gets mentioned when you here the commentators talk about how Benji and Sonny-Bill are freaks and good enough at 17, just like Brandy and Freddy before them.

So for those that saw him in his prime, how good was he? Up there with Sticky and Alfie? Better than Gower who is the current Panthers club legend atm? One thing i hear is that he was very quick...awesome acceleration.

Enlighten me, oldies.:eek: :p

Munky

Coach
I'd love to know this aswell.

I've heard people talk about him as the most talented player they've ever seen.

Too bad I was born in 1985.

The Colonel

Immortal
Alexander was always unlucky. He would have played more tests if not for Sterling and Mortimer when he started out and then Stuart and Langer during his peak years. Fantastic athlete. Could play anywhere in the backline. Excelled at fullback for Australia on the 90 Kangaroo tour.

Balmain_Boy

Quite funny, I was thinking of asking this myself the othe day. So I suppose that is a second call for opinions please.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Also, i believe Freddy has stated on a few occasions that Brandy is the best player he's ever played with.

sunny

Just a freakish natural talent. Remember his fg in the '91 grand final? Single best kick I have ever seen.

Suzie

Juniors
Alexander was a freak. A someone said before, the fact that Sterlo and Mortimer were still in their prime when he was playing probably cost him a few tests. He was definately the basis of Penrith's first climb from the bottom of the ladder. In the same way that Benji Marshall is being touted as the saviour of Wests, Alexander was the one if teh panthers won, adn th reason they lost if he didn't play. However, just like Benji, when Alexander was playing, there a depth of young talent at Penrith and they all played/clicked/ however you want to sayit, really well at that time, so again, liek Benji, I would dispute the 1 man team kind of scenario that is sometimes put about. I'm glad I got to see a lot of Alexander's games in the 80's and 90's. He was a very very talented footballer. No doubt.

simon says

First Grade
Very gifted player....and was good at a very young age.

Unfortunately he wasnt as consistent as the likes of Sterling,Mortimer,Stuart,Alf and co and therefore never quite got the accolades and rep jumpers someone of his sklls deserved.....

But on his day,as good if not better than anyone.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Thanks for the opinions, everyone.

So far i can gather that he was, at the very least, better than Finch. LOL

innsaneink

Referee
Great step, great acceleration, great kicking game....especially the chip is what i remember him doing.......he was very fluent and smooth, when he got in full flight...not unlike Sludge

choc_soldier

Coach
He was an amazing talent. I only saw him play in the back end of his career, but even in his final season in 1999, he was still playing great footy.

The best player to ever represent Penrith - I am willing to stick my neck out and say that.

cainen

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
So far i can gather that he was, at the very least, better than Finch. LOL

No comparison there. Brandy is the best ever to pull on a Penrith jersey.

nqboy

First Grade
A wonderful player. All the skills, including defence, and the elegance of one who glides around the field.

choc_soldier

Coach
I would be interested in reading how Warriors fans rated him in his two seasons over there in the mid 90's. That 1995 side had some awesome talent in it.

Here is his Penrith record:

Career: 1984-1994 and 1997-1999
Matches: 227 (3rd behind Carter and Simmons)
Points: 1104 (101 tries, 343 goals, 14 field goals) - was the club record until Girdler broke it around 2003.

nqboy

First Grade
I was high in the Ron McAuliffe Stand at Lang Park during Origin when Alexander cracked the line and ran diagonally for the corner from about the quarterline.

Paul Hauff came across in cover. Brandy put on the most dazzling array of steps, shuffles and footwork I've ever seen live but Hauff covered the lot and ran him into touch. I would have fallen over my own feet half a dozen times with what Brandy showed in that run.

When I watched it later on TV, the footage did no justice to the skills and drama that were contained in that 30 metre run.

Footnote: It's hard for many on here to accept after Hauff's career went so badly south after that but at that time, he was as good as any in his position with his size, strength, skill in the air and surprising speed with those long, loping strides.