What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis to play as 'second fullback'

Licence to roam: Greg Inglis. Source: The Daily Telegraph

SOUTH Sydney will give superstar centre Greg Inglis more room to move to add punch to their finals charge.

Coach John Lang has come to the conclusion there is no point having the best player at the club since Ron Coote if he isn't able to get his hands on the football.

Greg Inglis says he will play a role similar to a "second fullback" for the rest of the season.

"I think trying to get around and pretty much floating as a second fullback," Inglis said after the Rabbitohs' thrilling 21-20 win over the Roosters on Saturday."Second half I had to get in the game and get more involved. We had a game plan about getting the ball out to me a bit more but that didn't happen in the first half and it came more undone in the second half as well."

Inglis said there is "not really" any chance of him being moved to fullback with his personal preference to stay in the centres and Rhys Wesser expected back this weekend from a knee injury.

Lang said the club has been trying to discover new ways to give Inglis opportunities in attack, but admits the club is yet to find the right answer.

"We've got to get him the ball and get him the ball with a little bit of room to move," Lang said

"When we do that he's dangerous. We're working on different things to get him more involved rather than him just sit out wide."

He said it has been difficult for Inglis and the club to reach their full potential this season because of injury and representative duty disturbances.

"He was very underdone at the start of the season and then he got injured, then he's had the State of Origin, before we knew it we have a third of the season left," Lang said.

"It's hard. It's been very hard for Greg and for us to develop how we're going to use him.

"But I think we'll really see the best value out of him in the next seven games."

http://www.rabbitohs.com/warren/showthread.php/14697-Greg-Inglis-to-play-as-second-fullback

correct big sam we would be better served having inglis at 6 and move sutton to 13 i hope maguire puts a pin up sutton's backside next year he could do with some well needed one on one coaching from maguire and matty john's and like i said it's best that mcqueen stays on the wing unless we get another forward injury i am happy crocker came thru thankfully after his attempted low tackle.

one-eyed rabbitoh.

It's taken Lang 19 rounds of the competition to reach this conclusion??????

Jesus H Christ!

Agreed ! :crazy:... Lang has been a great coach over the years, but geez he has lost it.

From the first game Inglis played they should have gave him the every set.

IMO Maguire would know how to involve Inglis well, most people on here have said he will be moving into a playmaking role; should be interesting to see how he is prepared for it.