What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis to play for Essendon?

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Fox sports news is reporting that Greg Inglis met with Essendon officials in Sydney today.

What do you make from that? I dont know but i guess we will soon find out :crazy:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Im sure he will want to play in the AFL after seeing his team get destroyed tonight,he probaly couldn't handle getting another belting at the hands of the Eels.

intentcity

First Grade
id love to see him play AFL, but the AFLs just kicking league while its down now if true, i can tell you this though, the bombers are loaded but this is just getting ridiculous now, the AFL have their promo guys, give it a rest FFS.

im ashamed of the AFL at the moment.

Big Mick

Referee
Cue the AFL trolls.

Ch.9 and MJ Show didn't freakin help showing Inglis kicking that goal yesterday.

Idiots.

I wouldn't be surprised.

It may be the turning point in the game in which we finally get the value we need.

IMO increased Rep payments are needed to keep these players in the game.

Big Mick

Referee
All the AFL are doing is devaluing their code imo.

They are just saying that they think RL players are superior athletes and their game isn't big enough to produce superior talent on their own.

Far as i'm concerned it means more problems for them as far as junior structures are concerned and I'm positive that there will be backlash eventually if they keep on this path.

ALthough i'm sure that Back Page or AFL teams show will again say "yeah we are going to eliminate RL" again.

We'll survive, we'll re-build, and with a loaded bank account we'll develop our game the right way.

aqua_duck

Coach
Im sure he will want to play in the AFL after seeing his team get destroyed tonight,he probaly couldn't handle getting another belting at the hands of the Eels.
gees you talk out of your arse, the bloke terrorised you guys all night, I'm pretty sure you'll find he ran over your boy Hayne as well. The storm have nothing to play for I'm sure he won't be devastated by losing that game tonight.
BTW what are you still doing on this forum, thought you'd be in America getting a gig as an NFL punter since learning to kick a ball was one of the easiest skills to learn for you

intentcity

First Grade
All the AFL are doing is devaluing their code imo.

They are just saying that they think RL players are superior athletes and their game isn't big enough to produce superior talent on their own.

Far as i'm concerned it means more problems for them as far as junior structures are concerned and I'm positive that there will be backlash eventually if they keep on this path.

ALthough i'm sure that Back Page or AFL teams show will again say "yeah we are going to eliminate RL" again.

We'll survive, we'll re-build, and with a loaded bank account we'll develop our game the right way.

i wouldnt worry to much man, the bombers are filthy rich but they arnt stupid, im guessing it would take 700k minimum to get inglis to swap codes, the guy just wouldnt be worth it, the bombers dont give a sh*t about getting a syd audience so there wouldnt be any promo value, it would take him 12/24 mnths minimum to get up to speed on the skills, and even then he'd be a turnover machine, he'd never be a star worthy of big money, as i said, i wouldnt worry about it to much.

Last edited:

Greenbits

Juniors
Well for starters, he is signed to the Storm until 2012, so if they decide not to release him...

If the Storm do release him, I imagine he would attract offers of at least $500k. You would think he would need considerably more to be enticed across to a game he was no guarantee at succeeding in. AFL clubs also have to work under a salary cap and $600-700k is a big risk for a player who has never played the game.

So does the AFL step in with its "promotional" money? Well Essendon hardly needs promotion. I imagine this would piss off Melbourne AFL clubs, fans and in particular AFL players who would feel they were being undervalued.

Finally, nobody likes a bully and this move would alienate northern fringe AFL fans further at a time the AFL are trying to establish two new clubs in that market.

Exceptional loss to the NRL if he jumps though.

Doomednow

Bench
Do you really think so? I think he'd perform much better in the NFL, and I'd think he'd have both better chances and pay playing over there too. I think Intentcity is right about it being stupid for Essendon to consider though. Maybe the media is just turning every whiff of information it hears into a huge story now because they know code swapping is a hot topic.

intentcity

First Grade
Well for starters, he is signed to the Storm until 2012, so if they decide not to release him...

If the Storm do release him, I imagine he would attract offers of at least $500k. You would think he would need considerably more to be enticed across to a game he was no guarantee at succeeding in. AFL clubs also have to work under a salary cap and $600-700k is a big risk for a player who has never played the game.

So does the AFL step in with its "promotional" money? Well Essendon hardly needs promotion. I imagine this would piss off Melbourne AFL clubs, fans and in particular AFL players who would feel they were being undervalued.

Finally, nobody likes a bully and this move would alienate northern fringe AFL fans further at a time the AFL are trying to establish two new clubs in that market.

Exceptional loss to the NRL if he jumps though.
theres a rule i believe where code converts are out side the cap for 3 yrs or so, im not 100% sure, but believe when i say the AFLs salary cap is a complete joke, chris judd is probably on 700/800k per yr as a footballer, but he gets paid another 700/800k to be an "ambasador" for the president of his teams bussiness (VISY) (although that president passed away not long ago, but the deal was signed before hand, that extra 700/800k is outside the cap) theres so many fingers in different pies its almost worth not having a cap, this isnt an isolated incident neither, aparantly theres over 100 similar deals for AFL players.

many people beleive that chris judd is on around 1.6 million $$ per year, and that doesnt include endorsments, so IMO, id be very surprised if he didnt earn 2mill + all up per year, possibly more, he also shares a bed with rebecca twigly, how wells he going?, life just isnt fair sometimes lol, the funny thing is, today in the hsun, he was whining that he should be paid more!!!!!.

Last edited:

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
It's just another admission by the AFL that rugby league produces the best athletes.

Whats the good in producing athletes if you cant keep them?

He'd be the second 'player of his generation' to leave in the last few years if he were to go. The other of course being Sonny Bill.

Noa

First Grade
nothing article

1. most importantly bellamy said he doesnt want him to leave melbourne. Only direct comment he has made about any of the B4 from my memory

2. Will only happen if storm move him on as he loves melbourne

3. Refer to 1 why #2 wont happen.

Last edited:

analyst

Juniors
hypothetically- if origin game 3 is a decider and Inglis was to officially announce his move to AFL before game 3.....

would he be droped? -he would have to be droped for consistency if nothing else

chances are that if he is keen on AFL he would keep his mouth shut until the series was over ,but honestly QLD would be in big trouble without Inglis and Folau in NSW, for f**k sake....

El Diablo

Post Whore
hypothetically- if origin game 3 is a decider and Inglis was to officially announce his move to AFL before game 3.....

would he be droped? -he would have to be droped for consistency if nothing else

chances are that if he is keen on AFL he would keep his mouth shut until the series was over ,but honestly QLD would be in big trouble without Inglis and Folau in NSW, for f**k sake....

he can only go if the Storm release him. he is contracted till 2012

Latest posts