What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gregan reportedly set to retire

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Problem with that is the senoir players have the sh*ts with him becuase he prefers form over reputation.

skeepe

Immortal
David Nucifora was coaching the Brumbies for half of that season. He created disharmony and discord amongst the team, so much so that while only Harrison and Vickerman left, Mortlock, Paul, Roff and Gregan wanted out, among others.

The players coached themselves to the title with little input from Nucifora. He wasn't a head coach last year. Nucifora is NOT the answer.

lockyno1

Post Whore
skeepe said:
lockyno1, who would you put in place of Jones? Who do we have at the moment who is a better coach? Cite achievements and recent history to tell me why they are a better coach than Jones.

Ewen McKensie, John Mitchell, or David Nuicifora one of those 3 are much better than Jones. Jones once he took over the Wallabies has won about 4 in 30 away games, and considering the world cup is in FRANCE, how on earth is he going to win there!

lockyno1

Post Whore
skeepe said:
David Nucifora was coaching the Brumbies for half of that season. He created disharmony and discord amongst the team, so much so that while only Harrison and Vickerman left, Mortlock, Paul, Roff and Gregan wanted out, among others.

The players coached themselves to the title with little input from Nucifora. He wasn't a head coach last year. Nucifora is NOT the answer.

You are just worried that if Nicifora rightfully gets the job, your loverboy Gregan will be finished!:lol:

aqua_duck

Coach
skeepe said:
Actually it shows that I can think for myself, and not listen to News Limited's outrageous vendetta against this country's greatest ever player. The only rumblings of discontent about Gregan are coming from Sydney, just because an average halfback who plays for the Waratahs wasn't selected as test halfback. Whitakker is average, and nowhere near test standard - he has proven it time and again with shambolic performance after shambolic performance.

In each of the last 2 matches, Gregan was the best scrumhalf on the field. Yes he had a poor game against France, but everyone has those. There is no difference between the Gregan of today and the Gregan of 1999 when we won the world cup. I look forward to seeing Gregan lead us to another victory in 2007.
WHen were these shambolic performances you talk about?

I think you really are verging on BBSF syndrome, Gregan lead us to world cup victory?
Maybe if New Zealand, France, England, South Africa all pulled out.

Garts

Bench
Gregan has to go. It really is a no brainer.

He has done a great service to Australian and World Rugby but he is not our best half. If Eddie selects him next year he should be sacked. IMO he should probably get the sack anyway, we have been on a downhill slide since the 2001 lions series when he took over.

blackfriday

Juniors
to be fair to eddie jones he took over when the old guard were leaving but with that said the back line now is far stronger than whatever rod macqueen had (aside from burke at his absolutely best and timmy horan).

Garts

Bench
I understand that but figured our backline is superior now and he keeps saying the forwards are not working but he makes limited changes to the forwards where it matters. I know our front row depth is not the best but why not try something new? Only took him 2 years to try someone besides Baxter ffs.

I also believe we should not be playing Smith and Waugh at the same time, both class flankers but Smith is not a No 8 IMO.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Joost was a mile ahead of anybody in his dominant span of world rugby in the 90's, including the likes of Marshall and Gregan. We are in a phase of improving the tight 5, blooding the likes of Fitter, Holmes and TPN. I say we renovate the halfback position aswell, Henjak has a good running game, and average pass but has the ability to pose more problems for a defense. Gregan has got his record, and everything points to Australia not winning the WC because Jones refuses to make the hard decisions, and drop Giteau and co.

blackfriday

Juniors
giteau is actually an awesome player because he has some real pace and has a good head, but the wallabies current static style of play doesnt suit him. jones' stupid idea of using skilful backs as battering rams means that big blokes like turinui and johansson will of course be used as opposed to giteau. its also why peter hewat will never get a wallaby cap.

i agree that campo really has it in for gregan but nobody listens to campo (and if you do, you're an idiot). the fairfax guys like crowden and zavos have been critical of gregan for years and i would say that they are usually on the money when it comes to rugby.

aussies1st

Staff member
Turini does nothing, I would bring in Johannson. He can not only do the battering ram thing but he can actually make it through the gap. He is one hard machine to stop.

blackfriday

Juniors
or we could do the smart thing and stop using backs as battering rams and actually use our forwards to get over the gain line, get quick ball out to the backs to find gaps. as long as our forwards have poor body height when being engaged and as long as gregan continues his method of taking as long as he likes to pass, the wallabies will never recover.

bayrep

Juniors
Aus seems to be rotating the same players each season with no real new blood coming in (or they arent giving the new blood a chance) and they are getting the same results.

Come on Wales put the final nail in Gregans coffin!!!!!!!!

Thomas

First Grade
skeepe said:
However, as Gregan is the best halfback in Australia that won't be happening.

Get your Brumby goggles off, Skeepe.

As a former halfback I scream at the TV everytime Gregan gets the ball...the shuffle pass doesn't cut it and it puts his backs under pressure. When I first started playing halfback, my coach drilled into me to pass as soon as my hands touched the ball and not to take a little skip and a jump like Gregan does. Whittaker is better...as is Henjak...as is bloody Nick Berry in the Brisbane comp

His bad points:

He's a gob...he whines non-stop
He has a loopy pass that usually puts his 5/8 under pressure.
He doesn't run the ball
He gets caught a hell of a lot at the back of the scrum
He doesn't have that attacking attitude that a halfback needs.

As for Nucifora, he's a great coach and the fact that he had a run in with some senior players at the Brumbies doesn't mean he's a bad coach, it just means that some of the Brumbies players think they are bigger than the game.

Garts

Bench
How many times have we seen Gregan whinging to the ref for a penalty whilst the ball is coming out of a ruck only to be picked up by a opposition player. Gee that sh!ts me!!!

Garts

Bench
I dont mind a whinger, Tooves is my favourite all time league player:)

at least wait till you are not directly in the play.

blackfriday

Juniors
i have a feeling skeepe actually is poor old georgie gregan staying up late on a laptop prowling the world's rugby forums to defend himself

everyone on this site has been listening to drop kick peter jenkins too much. Gregan is not the problem, its the fact that we have about 2 forwards that are up to test standard. Jones realises that we dont have the cattle in the forwards and its because of this we have to play this rubbish style of rugby where we can't use the forwards to drive the ball up the field and we simply go to ground at every opportunity. Has anybody watched the all blacks lately?...compare the platform that weepu gets from his dominant forward pack to the sh*tty ball gregan gets all day.

It doesn't matter how much campo or jenkins whinge, the real issue in australian rugby is our abysmal set or forwards.

Latest posts