What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus comments on our future

Panther Pete

Juniors
Just in case anyone missed it, Gus got interviewed before the game today and spoke about where we are heading. He said we will have two or three local juniors debut next year and expects that trend to continue for the next few years. He also said we are not interested in Shaun Johnson (which is extremely disappointing). When asked if the chequebook had been put away for next year, he said no and that we are currently in negotiations with another player for next season ..........any idea who that may be???

TeamSatan

Juniors
I dont think he said we are in negotiations.
Thought it was we have enough money left for another quality signing.

But yeah...who we gonna sign ?

Big Mick

Referee
What do u expect him to say about Shaun Johnson?

We aren't allowed to even talk to him or his representatives till November at the very earliest.

Any talk of us entering any type of negotiation or showing any interest would be classified as tampering.

We may or may not be interested in him...but why show our hand so early? Wouldn't make sense and exposes us to a huge fine.

murraymob

Coach
Just in case anyone missed it, Gus got interviewed before the game today and spoke about where we are heading. He said we will have two or three local juniors debut next year and expects that trend to continue for the next few years. He also said we are not interested in Shaun Johnson (which is extremely disappointing). When asked if the chequebook had been put away for next year, he said no and that we are currently in negotiations with another player for next season ..........any idea who that may be???

me it will cost them a pie and a few bourbons .Should fit under the cap

franklin2323

Immortal
We also said we werent after JT (A realitve of a senior offical told me the details AFTER we put out the statement). We were here would be no different we can't go for him until Nov. At the WC Ivan & the other kiwi's to sell the club to him.

As for the debutants. No real surprise look at all teams F/T squads. Clear top 13. 7-10 FG the rest kids. We filled 35 spots with fg even fringe FGers so had no spots.

Next year VTK etc should be in FT squad & leave room for them to actually get game time.

chahrour123

Juniors

We are still after Peter Wallace, if his price tag comes cheap then we will go for him

mxlegend99

Referee
I honestly wouldnt be upset if we signed Wallace on a 2 year deal (for cheap) and still went all out for Johnson for 2015 onwards.

Soward / Wallace would be a solid halves combination, and if we landed Johnson we could just use Wallace the way the Storm use Finch. Hell he might even surprise us and excel behind our pack with Soward as his halves partner. I was never a huge Wallace fan, but he has shown he is capable of good footy with the right coach and halves partner. Certainly he is ahead of where John was when we signed him... And he has played some great footy for us.

meek

Juniors
Wallace part of a solid combination !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have you actually been watching Wallace when he played havles for the broncs ?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
We will definitely be making a play for Shaun Johnson. Gould's denial yesterday was so fake.

age.s

First Grade
On Wallace, it all depends on how cheap he is and how he ends up being used. Anyone saying he wouldn't be decent depth is just being blind.

mxlegend99

Referee
On Wallace, it all depends on how cheap he is and how he ends up being used. Anyone saying he wouldn't be decent depth is just being blind.
Yep. Prior to this year he was a better player than Isaac John and Luke Walsh. When he was paired with a dominant 5/8 is Lockyer and being coached by Wayne Bennett he was well and truly more than a solid player.

Broncos have been poorly coached for years now, and had some truly terrible halves recently aswell. He's clearly not a halfback who can carry a team, but he's one who can play a role in a good team. Plenty of players who look average or poor and can do a good job when they have the right team around them.

franklin2323

Immortal

We have Coote, John, Humble, Capewell. All as Soward partner options/ Depth in the halves. Then we have Foster, Evans Moylan etc. Johnson is elite so he's a no brainer but we need a left centre and we are better off going after a centre then a 5th half

age.s

First Grade
We have Coote, John, Humble, Capewell. All as Soward partner options/ Depth in the halves. Then we have Foster, Evans Moylan etc. Johnson is elite so he's a no brainer but we need a left centre and we are better off going after a centre then a 5th half

Wallace is a way better player than Humble and Capewell. If Wallace isn't signed and either of those two players see first grade time with us then I'd consider that a complete recruitment failure.

As to the rest, Wallace is hardly leagues behind any of those options. All of them are either fringe first graders (John or Coote) or have only shown promise in the halves (all the youngsters).

Like I said it would have to come at the right price. No one is suggesting we throw the check book at him but if he comes cheaply he shouldn't stop us from signing anybody.

franklin2323

Immortal
Wallace is a way better player than Humble and Capewell. If Wallace isn't signed and either of those two players see first grade time with us then I'd consider that a complete recruitment failure.

Not saying he's not but we can't fill NSW Cup with all halves we will never develop the centre we need or get a look at Moss and co in the 1 and Foster and Evans will be NSW Cup next year look good long term. Release Coote and 1 other then yes.

The OX

Juniors
From what Im hearing today, Coote will be out of future equations.

He is being shopped around to all who will listen.

Leary is a fool if he thinks Coote is a $530k ++ a year player.

Shame is Gus has to fix the problem.

meek

Juniors
Learys been made to look a fool with most if not all of the stupid contracts he tossed around - couldn't run a toilet .
Him and that tosser Elliot are to blame for Panthers woes -
I agree feel sorry for Gus with the cards he's been dealt - Hopefully they can fix the mess they have been left with.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
I got the impression it was Elliott moreso than Leary that rated Coote through the roof.