What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gus gould - deregister the offenders automatically

Raider_69

Post Whore
Indeed Gus. And that is precisely why Blake Ferguson wont be sacked. What ever his punishment, be it just the 4 weeks or a year, when he's back on the footy field it will be for the Raiders, for precisely the reasons Gus mentioned

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the whole thing is becoming cringeworthy. They should just be treated like normal individuals with normal jobs - not some f**kin super hero footy star who's above all morals.

#.

Except
A) They are on posters on kids walls, that's not normal
B) They earn a shed load of money, partly through the money the game can bring in from its brand and image, that's not normal
C) They are under the microscope of media as they are public images, that's not normal
D) Monkey see, monkey do, (or in our case kids see, kids do ala the Gallen thing), that's not normal.

Tell you what if they don't want to be under the spotlight then f**k off and be normal individuals in normal jobs, there's plenty going!

barney gumble

Juniors
Take big, dumb kids from low socio-economic backgrounds with low education and no social skills.

In a very short period of time they are getting paid 10 times their peers, therefore lose all value of earning money. They are put on a pedastle by family, friends, fans, media and managers. Thousands of facebook and twitter friends.

The first paragrah plus the second paragraph equals trouble, eventually. And this won't change just because everyone wants to elevate our game above its station. We are and have always been a working class game at heart. I for one hope this never changes, take the (mostly) good with the (occassional) bad.

kmav23

Juniors
Take big, dumb kids from low socio-economic backgrounds with low education and no social skills.

In a very short period of time they are getting paid 10 times their peers, therefore lose all value of earning money. They are put on a pedastle by family, friends, fans, media and managers. Thousands of facebook and twitter friends.

The first paragrah plus the second paragraph equals trouble, eventually. And this won't change just because everyone wants to elevate our game above its station. We are and have always been a working class game at heart. I for one hope this never changes, take the (mostly) good with the (occassional) bad.

As in NFL some on these players would be in prison if not for the game.

No excuses as many people in poor areas are hard workers with good ethics.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As in NFL some on these players would be in prison if not for the game.

No excuses as many people in poor areas are hard workers with good ethics.

And lets not forget 90% of players go through their careers with no dramas and doing plenty of good with the opportunity they have got.

shiznit

Coach
I'd like to see some sort of compensation have to be paid to the club who sacked the player.

That could be a suitable player swap or maybe a portion of cap space transferred over from the new club to the old one. In the josh Dugan case you would say to St George that if they sign Dugan then 400K each season of they're salary cap for the remainder of seasons left on Dugans Canberra contract would be transferred to Canberras Cap.

400K was just a random figure... That could be anything.

Let the NRL and the 2 clubs negotiate.

Last edited:

skeepe

Immortal
Dugan wasn;t convicted of anything was he? If Raiders wanted to put up with him being a fckwit they could have but chose not to. The fact St's have decided they don;t mind employing a fckwit is there own look out.

Different where criminal charges are involved and if serious then lengthy bans should be in place. Having said that they would just move to Union or SL so not like they are being punished that harshly really.

Dugan walked out on a contract. He stopped turning up to training and left town. What he did was the same as what SBW did to the Bulldogs.

In the case of the Bulldogs, the NRL supported them and refused to register another contract for SBW until this year.

In the case of the Raiders, the NRL basically told us to go f**k ourselves. So if they want Fergo sacked, they can go f**k themselves.

POPEYE

Coach
F**k off Jabba, you'd have Monaghan deregistered because his privacy was invaded. Go and find a courthouse somewhere on any Wednesday and stand up and shout when some feral gets a slap on the wrist for something far worse than brushing pussy, then goes home to brag to the local kids.

franklin2323

Immortal
Gross overreaction.

Taking Ferguson as an example why should he be sacked for something that gets most booked either a slap in the face, a drink thrown over them or a smack in the head from the boyfriend..

I am a bit each way on this. We don't know that Ferguson or even Teo weren't set up. So can't having sackings as a result are harsh.

Though the otherside of it. IF Ferguson and Dugan wanted a pre Origin drink. Get a hotel room and a case of Cruisers and stay in private problem solved

Though if Ferguson or in Lui's case found guilty then De-Registered no problems but atm you can't do it

franklin2323

Immortal
Love Gould but he picked up a few sacked Rabbitohs players. Mansour and Roberts for starters..

Yep. An example of Grey areas. Both were sacked for minor reasons though didn't match what South's expected. Like Dugan not illegal can''t really stop another club from signing in that case.

firechild

First Grade
I think there could be a lot of problems with taking this line, although I tend to agree with the idea. There's two scenarios in my mind:

If it involves the judicial system then I think taking this path undermines innocent until proven guilty considerably, a value that many of us defend jealously. In my mind it comes down to "What if we just deregistered a player who the courts later find to be innocent?". Up until the point the court delivers its judgement, I think a player should remain on the books at a club. There is certainly valid reasons to stand them down with pay in the meantime, but we need to defend innocent until proven guilty. If they are found to be guilty - and the appeal period has passed - then come down as hard as we can on them i.e. deregister them, big fines etc etc.

In fact, bail conditions are a similar concept. An interim punishment based on the possibility of guilt.
If it's an internal issue then I think there may be cases where deregistering is appropriate, but I think the clubs and NRL would need to be very transparent in their decision-making process, and there would need to be an appeal process available, ideally overseen by an independent panel.

Our own judicial system supports the concept of punishing a person without being found guilty of a crime. An AVO can be taken out on a person who is charged with a crime and if the charges are withdrawn or the person is found not-guilty, the AVO can remain in place. The AVO may prevent a person from going to a certain place (even their own home or workplace) which is a punishment for a crime they may or may not have committed.

In fact, bail conditions are similar. An interim punishment based on the possibility of guilt.

Last edited:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Let another club either pick them up and deal with their rubbish, or not. If you sign him and he's going off the rails you decide as a club whether he's worth the effort to fix, or not and you either take responsibility for him when you sign him, or you stay out of it - at your decision.

Let the person who's f**ked up either work their way back into contention and prove themselves, or not. Pretty bloody simple I would've thought.

it is simple but unfortunately in a results driven business clubs would sign pedophiles if they were good at footy. i dont like the fact the NRL has to deregister a player with serious behavioural issues - i'd rather the clubs say "we don't need this tarnishing our image", but we've seen clubs give scum like lui chances because they can help them win games. the tigers had the opportunity to sack him after he initially bashed his missus but didnt for the same reason

if the clubs had less control over serious behavioural breaches it would go a long way to fixing some of the reluctance in sacking players. ffs arana tomato had 6 or 7 clubs before he played first grade. if the clubs had the integrity not to sign a dickhead like this he would have f**ked off ages ago to a code which let his dog come to the stadium

IF fergusson is guilty (i have no idea whetehr he is or isnt) he should be deregistered, as should ALL players found guilty of a serious charge. i'm pretty sure some players in superleague played with ankle bracelets on.....they should have been deregistered as well..

kmav23

Juniors
Gross overreaction.

Taking Ferguson as an example why should he be sacked for something that gets most booked either a slap in the face, a drink thrown over them or a smack in the head from the boyfriend..

Wow you have low standards, do you have a daughter?

In sure you want criminal charges against men touching her genitals.

YouareT

Juniors
This is stupid. I agree to an extent if the police are involved but the Raiders didn't have to sack Dugan so if another club wants him, tough titties.

Latest posts