What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus Gould in PNG

Paul J

Juniors
This post is fail.

The sports teams you refer to are by and large supported by the wealthy elite in South Africa and India. The supporters of the PNG bid are saying it will be a team 'for the people' not for the wealthy elite.

It is for the people. The people badly want an NRL team.

The wealthy elite will ensure the team's success as the country improves.

age.s

First Grade
People suggesting that a NRL team should not be present in PNG because there are "better ways to spend money there" are not looking at the bigger picture.

PNG is beset by a myriad of problems. Living standards and health are obviously huge ones, but social problems, education/literacy and crime are enormous problems too. All three of the latter are not problems that can be solved by just throwing money at them. You can build schools but how do you get kids to attend them or even better, to actively engage in learning? You can hire more police but how do you stem corruption from within the force and solve the unhappiness that can contribute (Note I said contribute? There are obviously a myriad of factors) to crime?

Many of the problems that can be solved by throwing money at them, will start getting solved with increased foreign investment and the resources boom. To think that RL cannot play a role in solving the "soft" problems PNG has (probably is already helping solve tbh) just isn't looking at the bigger picture.

And as others have mentioned, it's a bit patronising to be suggesting that Australians or the NRL should be telling PNG how to best solve their countries problems. I don't see how patronising them helps anybody really.

nqcowboy87

Bench
That is a photo of the village of Hanuabada. The village was there long before the city of Port Moresby got built and enveloped it to what it is now.

And Kokopo is not a rough neck place at all. I lived there for 5 years and it is more peaceful than western Sydney.

yeh i know i didnt mean rough neck as in violent but it is a whole, nivest most friendliest people but its a whole. and the hills of moresby are littered with ramshackle huts and it doens t matter that sea side village was there before the city its still there and its a dump

So they have to solve their social problems before they can get a team? But the government is saying they need a team to help solve some of their social issues.

Classic case of catch 22 I'd say.

Latest posts