What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus Gould whinging about rules and referees...

BuffaloRules

Coach
Why do we have to cop it every week?

Is there any sport elsewhere where the primary commentator is so belligerent and criticising of the game that affords him his wealth?

Last week he didn't even know the rules in respect of the Graham incident...

When will he be f**ked off?

FlameThrower

Bench
....and the constant old men stories, that are mostly private jokes or mention of players or events 70% of the viewers would not even know!!!!

Someone has to question some of the nonsense that goes on. He might do it a bit too much but it's necessary to have high profile people voicing issues. It was only regular comments by vossy that got the ridiculous corner post rule changed. And whatever you think of Gus he has more of a clue about the game than most and certainly more than the idiots who run the game and make the rules.

Canard

Immortal
He is the single most negative impact on the game currently.

He is the most influential person Rugby League and yet he only wants to criticize and be negative.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep no other sport I have ever watched has commentators constantly critiscing the rules or the refs or the administration or the players like our sport does. Geez I heard someone the other day say what a "bludger" of a game it was. That's going to get fans interested in the sport!

Glen

Bench
All of the NRL's competition has overwhelmingly positive commentary. Some to the point of inducing vomit but not always. Is it something the commission should be getting "fixed" at the next TV rights contract? They can't ask Ch9 to sack people, especially big names, but perhaps they could forfeit some cash to have the host networks be official promoters of the game as well

Brutus

Referee
Yep no other sport I have ever watched has commentators constantly critiscing the rules or the refs or the administration or the players like our sport does. Geez I heard someone the other day say what a "bludger" of a game it was. That's going to get fans interested in the sport!

The amount of f**kwits in the media that criticized the Knights v Dragons game was vomit-inducing. No mention at all of the horrid weather.

That Andrew Moore wannabee tool from 2GB Mark Levy was complaining about calling that game. Well piss off you rotund clown and let someone call it who actually respects the game.

All of the NRL's competition has overwhelmingly positive commentary. Some to the point of inducing vomit but not always. Is it something the commission should be getting "fixed" at the next TV rights contract? They can't ask Ch9 to sack people, especially big names, but perhaps they could forfeit some cash to have the host networks be official promoters of the game as well

Jesus f**king christ. I know the tards at the nrl copy everything from the vfl but that would be channeling the Victorians on a whole other level.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I've said it before, they sound like a bunch of old guys at the pub who sit around telling stories & laughing at their own jokes, then occasionally look at the footy & whinge about it. They are happy when things go their way, but complain when they don't as it impacts on their betting!

It's frustrating, because Phil Gould made plenty of sense when interviewed by Sterlo a few weeks ago.

JohnLawrence

Juniors
I've said it before, they sound like a bunch of old guys at the pub who sit around telling stories & laughing at their own jokes, then occasionally look at the footy & whinge about it. They are happy when things go their way, but complain when they don't as it impacts on their betting!

It's frustrating, because Phil Gould made plenty of sense when interviewed by Sterlo a few weeks ago.

JohnLawrence

Juniors
in my opinion Gus shouldn't be calling the game he should be running it he has the knowledge and he could have the League running like a well oiled machine

Danish

Referee
In all honesty we need Rabs Warren to fall off the perch for there to be any improvement. 9 will never fire him and he is too old and senile to keep Gould in check. Only problem is it seems once he goes 9 will get Tim f**king Gilbert as their replacement!

So perhaps Rabs doesn't have to go the way of old yeller. 9 just need to lose the rights, and quickly

FlameThrower

Bench
You can add, Lockyer, Wally, Finch, Fittler and Johns to that list....most are terrible...notable exception is Sterlo....too many ex-players who really should have little or limited air-time....

BuffaloRules

Coach
in my opinion Gus shouldn't be calling the game he should be running it he has the knowledge and he could have the League running like a well oiled machine

I doubt it.

It's easy being the one on the sidelines doing the criticising.

Much harder when you have to be making the decisions...

There are always going to be controversies, refereeing blunders and coaches employing negative tactics to win games... Wouldn't matter if Jesus Christ was in charge...

BuffaloRules

Coach
You can add, Lockyer, Wally, Finch, Fittler and Johns to that list....most are terrible...notable exception is Sterlo....too many ex-players who really should have little or limited air-time....

I suspect that the problem is that most of that list got promised commentary gigs by Packer/Nine as rewards for staying loyal during SuperLeague or not going to Union...

Exception might be Lockyer... He might be there for the Qlders but he is out of his depth - he is shocking, as is Wally...

Might be better if Nine lose the TV rights so some new blood can call the games...

Latest posts