What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gutted when they left.

2010Dragons

Bench
Wayne Bennett
David Waite
Steve Edge
Steve Morris
Jamie Soward
Lance Thompson
Jarred Staffy
Beau Scott
Russell Packer
Nathan Blacklock when he left to union
Anthony Mundine x 2
Jeremy Smith

Walpole

Juniors
Michael O'Connor was the first one I thought of.

Brett Morris and Tallis were hard ones to swallow too, especially seeing as who they joined.

John moz

Juniors
Still dont know what is going on with our club .Players since we merged want to stay but the dragons wont pay what they deserve .Ben hunt is a big yes in the history of the club as our first quality no 7 signed on to be the first million dollar player.The storm with the big 3 have done it for years.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
Losing Scott Gourley and David Barnhill to the Roosters really pissed me off back in the day.
Oh, and Damien Chapman to the Reds! That guy was going to be the next Peter Stirling! Haha

Coffs dragon

Bench
Heaps of great ex Dragons have been mentioned, but the ones that pissed me off that they left were:
Michael O'Connor
Wayne Bennett
Chris Johns
Slippery Morris & his 2 sons

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Mick Weyman
Jarred Saffy
Craig Fitzgibbon
Mick Devere

It's not like any of them were your Juniors in the first place, Weyman came via the South Coast & the Raiders, Saffy was a Rah Rah who tried out at the Tigers, Fitzy was A Steeler where his Dad coached while De Vere came from out Campbelltown way who thought that Uncle Wayne was a better bet 10 years before he signed on.

Como Connection

First Grade
From the old days
Kevin Ryan
Steve Edge
Mick O'Connor
Need to sleep on later ones.
It's 8:30pm, bed time for me after a poor golf game at Beverly Park today.
Good night all.
CC

Sloth

Juniors
It's not like any of them were your Juniors in the first place, Weyman came via the South Coast, Saffy was a Rah Rah who tried out at the Tigers, Fitzy was A Steeler where his Dad coached while De Vere came from out Campbelltown way who thought that Uncle Wayne was a better bet 10 years before he signed on.

I realise none of them were a Dragons junior, however I was gutted when they left. The title doesn't read Gutted when our juniors left?

gregstar

Referee
michael o'connor was a devastating loss in my books.

however we lost so much reliable lower grade talent from 83-85 who went on to perform wonderfully at other clubs.

in 84-85 our club was head & shoulders above the others by a country mile in depth.
if it hadn't been for an eric grothe try in the final, we would have had all three grades in grand finals 2 years in a row. As such, parra rolling us in that 84 final robbed the lower grades of their regular players who were ineligible to play because of the amount of first grade they played throughout the season.

over the next 2 years (86-87) there was a steady flow of retiring experienced players & talented players leaving who could have helped develop the lower grades coming through. we lost so much reliable lower grade talent who went on to perform wonderfully at other clubs.

an example; we had the gun player of the presidents cup in marc glanville & let him leave. we kept graeme wynn who by that stage was a semen stain.

the heart of the club was torn out. the players signed did not in any way compensate for this. players such as linnane, noke, funnell, kinchella, burgess etc were unable to reach the heights they could have because the experience of gearin, rogers, johnson, walsh, jarvis, o'grady, morris, haddock & stone retired or left. and the likes of gavin allen & johns who were tremendous young first graders who went on to shine at other clubs.

as such 86-90 were the gomer years. the disappointment i felt was paralyzing. in fact i still get sad at the memory of it. we went from such strength to pure geniuss.

however, last year under jowls was the single worst year of footy i have ever witnessed by our club.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
Losing Scott Gourley and David Barnhill to the Roosters really pissed me off back in the day.
Oh, and Damien Chapman to the Reds! That guy was going to be the next Peter Stirling! Haha
How did I miss David Barnhill!! One of my all time favourite Saints(where Paul Vaughan is headed). Have met Barney on a few occasions and a nicer bloke would be hard to find. He was even shouting me drinks at a Brisbane pub long into the night as we celebrated after Saints beat Brisbane on the bell at Suncorp in 2003!
I recall reading 'X' Dragons player(can't recall the name)was the heart of the team & David Barnhill was the soul. I thought that summed him up nicely.

Minh

First Grade
Luke Patten, Amos Roberts and Craig Fitzgibbon all went on to be far better players at other clubs so that was quite devastating in hindsight....

Latest posts