What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guttenbeil heading for France

carlnz

Bench
Kiwi Test forward Awen Guttenbeil is set to become the latest NRL star to join the Catalan Dragons for their debut in Super League next season, according to reports in New Zealand.

Guttenbeil, the Warriors’ best player when they were beaten 28-18 by Parramatta in Waikato on Saturday night, is said to have agreed to a deal when Catalans Chairman Bernard Guasch was in Auckland 10 days ago to watch his star recruit Stacey Jones in action.

Jones is said to have recommended Guttenbeil, who has played eight Tests for New Zealand (2002-03) and two World Cup games for Tonga (1995).

He joined the Warriors a year after his World Cup appearances and has since played 137 matches for the Auckland club.

www.rugbyleaguenz.com

ThrashViking

Juniors
No suprise really, he's past his best form and he'll never regain it.
Thanks for the memories Awen, have a nice holiday in France.
I wonder if Karl will go with him:-k

Jonah Lomu

Juniors
Good luck to Awen, he's in the twilight of his career and will hane a chance to make some extra cash for himself and his family.

Martli

Coach
!!!! Who's Going To Do The Pre-match Interview/baby Clothes Shopping With Toopi?????

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
shaneh said:
we have a goal kicking 2nd rower in the waiting. ERVAN TUIMVAVAE.
I thought he was more of a prop?
Anyway if it's true I'm not too sad, Guttenbeil's been a good servant for the club but he's well due for the ESL pension plan. We could use the cash elsewhere.

ThrashViking

Juniors
I thought he was pretty good in what was a rather inept preformance by the Warriors.
He did a truck load of tackling and had some nice touches with the ball.

Scott

Bench
If we are looking at losing Anderson and Guttenbiel, we may as well buy a world class back rower capable of playing in the front row! The one that springs to mind is Willie Mason...

Would be a sensational buy, but I can't see him leaving Sydney.

JJ

Immortal
RHYTHM AND STEALTH said:
With the $$$ available we need to purchase ball playing 2nd rowers

funny, just a couple of years ago the Warriors had an over-ubundance of ball playing second rowers - great succession planning eh

JJ

Immortal
NZ Warrior said:
I reckon all of this is shaping up for something big!!!

Willie Mason? Braith Anasta? Matt Orford?

they should offload Toopi somewhere and chase Stephen Bell while they're at it

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We don't need to offload Toopi, he's actually playing ok right now and we've got plenty of $$ to spend. If we needed the room under the cap fair enough, but there's no point offloading players for the sake of it, even if they are inconsistent.

Jonah Lomu

Juniors
I agree on keeping Toopi as he's starting to get back to his best,
but we should get rid of Betham and Martin.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
What's Betham do for us? OK he's an ok defender but he gives away penalties and gets suspended 3 times a season. At Least Toopi can create and score tries.
Meli is on thinner ice, unlike Toopi he doesn't create much although he's a decent finisher.

Latest posts