What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guttenbeil heading for France

Keep Betham, he has been around with the club for a long time and we owe him at least that just don't let him go near captaincy EVER AGAIN.

On Gutts leaving well he has done us some great service in the past and I wish him all the best!

Jonah Lomu

Juniors
But why should we keep Betham besides loyalty?As SpaceMonkey pointed, he's either injured or suspended half the season and when he does actually play he gives away 3+ penalties a game and offers nothing on attack.The only saving grace he has is his defence and he's a workhorse,but so are all our other backrowers except they offer alot more on attack.So we really should get rid of Betham so we can free up some cash and buy some more ball playing backrowers.

THE MINGSTER

Juniors
shaneh said:
we have a goal kicking 2nd rower in the waiting. ERVAN TUIMVAVAE.

Tuimavave plays in the front row, and his goal kicking isn't all that accurate either. Certainly not better than Jones.

We should definitely not release Clinton Toopi, he along with Faumuina, are our best ball playing options. He's starting to come into some good form as well.

All this talk about the Warriors trying to secure a "ball playing and attacking second rower", is trivial. We have some young promising options in Mannering, Lauaki and among others. I can't see any real need to chase any Australian based players. We need to give Lauaki more game time, he only gets around 10 to 20 mins a game, and that's enough time for him to show his ability. Hopefully Mannering will get a decent amount of time on the field to impress. We should instead use the spare money to keep Palea'aesina, which is a must.

Jonah Lomu said:
But why should we keep Betham besides loyalty?As SpaceMonkey pointed, he's either injured or suspended half the season and when he does actually play he gives away 3+ penalties a game and offers nothing on attack.The only saving grace he has is his defence and he's a workhorse,but so are all our other backrowers except they offer alot more on attack.So we really should get rid of Betham so we can free up some cash and buy some more ball playing backrowers.

I know your completely right, to make matters worse he just came up 2nd in the "who wouldn't you pick a fight with?" in the player's poll (behind Carl Webb) in RLW yesterday, so you can look forward to seeing more of his brain explosions as he attempts to prove how hard he is in the NRL.

But still I think he has been a great servant to the club having to lose Stacey is bad enough I would hate to see Monty go as well. The real tragedy being he could actually be quite a good player, if he just cut out the niggle/ill discipline, he hits hard in defense and runs the ball up agressively oh well what a waste......

I maybe the in minority here but I have not been a big fan of booting homegrown players to sign a few aussies even if the aussie players are more talented.

Ask yourself would you really be happy if the Warriors won a premiership with a team consisting of mostly Aussies? I for one wouldn't it just wouldn't feel right.

THE MINGSTER

Juniors
Keep Betham. He is still a competent NRL performer, and his defensive skills are highly-rated. However, I'm not sure where he fits in the starting side next year especially with Anderson, Koopu, Mannering, Lauaki, and Faumuina there. Maybe he might find himself in a bench position - who knows. Betham's still got a big part to play this season though, with Anderson injured for the season.

Jonah Lomu

Juniors
I know where your coming from Resident Warrior, and don't me wrong i feel Betham has been a great servant for the club and is a respected player, but i just feel he's holding back our potential.We have some good young second rowers coming through such as Louis Anderson, Simon Mannering and Epalahame Lauaki,but i feel with Betham there they might not be given much of an oppurtunity.All Mannering needs is a chance to prove himself and he'll be a star, Lauaki just needs to improve his fitness and he could become a dominant force in the NRL, while Louis Anderson is already a Kiwi international.

And just on the Warriors winning the premiership,i'd love nothing more than having 17 Kiwis out there, but i would'nt mind if it was say 12 Kiwis and 5 Ausies.

mahanga

Juniors
Poor Awen's been carrying all the crap at the moment and probably right up to the end of 05. Be interesting whose turn it will be next year!!!

I'm hoping him and Stacey will turn it on in the remaining games before their departure.

Good luck to them both in France.

mahanga

Juniors
Great match this afternoon and all the boys played well..... including these two blokes[Awen and Stacey.]

spook

Juniors
according to the Catalans coach in the UK press this week Guttenbeil has never been on the French shopping list and will not be signing for them...?!?

so is he staying with the warriors or going elsewhere?

Iafeta

Referee
Staying.

He's contracted through till the end of 2006.

He apparently has personally confirmed this.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Thats GREAT news.

Our back row is looking quite good for next year if we keep fit and guttenbeil keeps his form

my backrow:

11. Koopu
12. Anderson
13. Faumuina

14. Guttenbeil
15. Lauaki?? Betham??

Kemps back row most likely

11. Koopu
12. Anderson
13. Betham

14. Faumuina
15. Guttenbeil

mahanga

Juniors
I notice now when Awen comes off the bench He brings that steadiness to the team and his off-loads always keeps the opposition on their toes.

Good to know that he is staying for another season.

MKEB...

Staff member
someone before suggested ball playing back rowers.. and evarn tuimavave, I understood he is off to the gold coast.

Can anybody see aproblem with trying to snare someone the likes of scott hill, Or tony grimaldi.

Phillips

Referee
mad kiwi elloco bandido said:
someone before suggested ball playing back rowers.. and evarn tuimavave, I understood he is off to the gold coast.

Can anybody see aproblem with trying to snare someone the likes of scott hill, Or tony grimaldi.

Tony Grimaldi would be a great buy for the Warriors, something like a Kevin Campion type player

MKEB...

Staff member
Or maybe clint newton when off suspension.Or a Trent waterhouse I hear he is having trouble with his negs... I know kempy Watson dont want to buy,.. but sorry I cannot see much future for lauaki Big ,strong, and unfit.

Just out of interest.. I have noticed people talking about putting webb into stand off.
I dont disagree with that (although he is finding amazing form, and I previously berated him)we have a ready made fullback in Rowan Baxter.I reakon a michael oconnor in the making...