What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GWS

or at least, not out west
Any accountant looking at the books would tell Vicky Kicky house to pull the midgets and put them in Canberra as the Canberra Giants, but stubborn pride won't let them do that, and in the meantime the will continue to be a huge financial blackhole for them. Without a doubt they are the biggest financial hole of any sports team in Australian by a country mile.

I think its more like arragance

they genuinely think they have the best football code and its only a matter of time, I recall them saying at the time it may take up to 20 years to take over rugby league heartland but they are prepared to wait
The Midgets have been going for 14 years and haven't even made the slightest dent in junior Rugby League playing numbers or sponsorship, in fact the opposite to be honest and kids want to be associated with winners and the Panthers are winners and the Midgets are not, and that's why i think Vicky Kicky house will comprise the draw to get the Midgets a flag. Also as well the racism in Fumbleball will stop Pi's or or kids of Pi descent playing it, and to see that you only have to go on the bigfooty forum to see the hate directed at Pi players, and The Wookie and other mods on the site do very little to stop it, but ban posters who post links with facts that don't suit their agenda

The_Wookie

Bench
sponsorship

You got different sponsorship figures there? Are you talking in general or junior league.

Because GWS sponsorship figuires arent bad at all - while at the lower end 11.2m isnt bad by AFL standards - theres 6 or 7 clubs that make less. And more than every other club in Sydney reported except for Penrith

Sponsorship IncomeSponsorship Income
AFL Club2022NRL Club2022
Sydney20.776Brisbane14.187
Adelaide18.939Penrith12.936
Collingwood18.862South Sydney11.2
Hawthorn16.642Parramatta11.106
Carlton16.565Sydney10.25
Essendon15.719North Queensland9.809
Richmond15.205Canterbury7.532
Geelong14.496Cronulla6.14
Brisbane12.796Wests Tigers5.956
Melbourne11.713Canberranr
G.Western Sydney11.232Melbournenr
Western Bulldogs10.936Newcastlenr
St Kilda10.646Gold Coast
West Coast10.431Manly
North Melbourne10.325New Zealand
Gold Coast8.512St George
Fremantle8.121
Port Adelaidenr

Also as well the racism in Fumbleball will stop Pi's or or kids of Pi descent playing it, and to see that you only have to go on the bigfooty forum to see the hate directed at Pi players, and The Wookie and other mods on the site do very little to stop it,

I do have a policy of nuking that discussion where I can.

but ban posters who post links with facts that don't suit their agenda

Depends how its posted and the context of the discussion too. Bigfooty isnt LU conversations are can be a little more robust here than there.

The_Wookie

Bench
I think its more like arragance

they genuinely think they have the best football code and its only a matter of time, I recall them saying at the time it may take up to 20 years to take over rugby league heartland but they are prepared to wait

Its not 20 years to take over rugby league heartland, its 20 year to judge whether its successful or not. At the half way mark, its clear there remains work to do, despite a grand final and finals appearances.

You got different sponsorship figures there? Are you talking in general or junior league.

Because GWS sponsorship figuires arent bad at all - while at the lower end 11.2m isnt bad by AFL standards - theres 6 or 7 clubs that make less. And more than every other club in Sydney reported except for Penrith

Sponsorship IncomeSponsorship Income
AFL Club2022NRL Club2022
Sydney20.776Brisbane14.187
Adelaide18.939Penrith12.936
Collingwood18.862South Sydney11.2
Hawthorn16.642Parramatta11.106
Carlton16.565Sydney10.25
Essendon15.719North Queensland9.809
Richmond15.205Canterbury7.532
Geelong14.496Cronulla6.14
Brisbane12.796Wests Tigers5.956
Melbourne11.713Canberranr
G.Western Sydney11.232Melbournenr
Western Bulldogs10.936Newcastlenr
St Kilda10.646Gold Coast
West Coast10.431Manly
North Melbourne10.325New Zealand
Gold Coast8.512St George
Fremantle8.121
Port Adelaidenr

I do have a policy of nuking that discussion where I can.

Depends how its posted and the context of the discussion too. Bigfooty isnt LU conversations are can be a little more robust here than there.
Didn't Dave Matthews admit not so long ago that GWS are finding it harder now to make an impact in the West due to the growing number youngsters playing Rugby League, and didn't he also admit that some junior AF clubs are finding it to recruit youngers due to the appeal of Rugby League in Western Sydney?

Its not 20 years to take over rugby league heartland, its 20 year to judge whether its successful or not. At the half way mark, its clear there remains work to do, despite a grand final and finals appearances.
Would you agree with me Wookie that on reflection it was a mistake to put a club in Western Sydney?
Perhaps the NT might have been more productive

The_Wookie

Bench
Would you agree with me Wookie that on reflection it was a mistake to put a club in Western Sydney?
Perhaps the NT might have been more productive

Yes and No. The thing was they had the funds to spend, and still do. Everyone understood it to be a long term "generational" project based on the Swans experience.

The league had rebuilt the pathways in QLD and NSW in the years before the teams were announced and with decent money coming in from broadcasteres for the first time they could really commit to a big spend - its not been a great start and theres been some big misteps in team management and performance on both sides - but the league had to take the chance when they could afford it - which they could then and still can. Theres no question of AFL funding running out.

Tasmania should have got a team - without the stadium being required, expansion of the existing stadiums and decent fixturing and that team would have been 10 years old by now, not in the state it is now. Unlike in NSW and QLD where they overhauled the state system, they havent done anything like that in Tasmania.

NT is going to work for anybody without the Fed Government assisiting to the tune of 15m per year as a social project, ala the 25m commitment to a PNG NRl team. The AFLNT business case was pretty clear that NT is a non starter.

Yes and No. The thing was they had the funds to spend, and still do. Everyone understood it to be a long term "generational" project based on the Swans experience.

The league had rebuilt the pathways in QLD and NSW in the years before the teams were announced and with decent money coming in from broadcasteres for the first time they could really commit to a big spend - its not been a great start and theres been some big misteps in team management and performance on both sides - but the league had to take the chance when they could afford it - which they could then and still can. Theres no question of AFL funding running out.

Tasmania should have got a team - without the stadium being required, expansion of the existing stadiums and decent fixturing and that team would have been 10 years old by now, not in the state it is now. Unlike in NSW and QLD where they overhauled the state system, they havent done anything like that in Tasmania.

NT is going to work for anybody without the Fed Government assisiting to the tune of 15m per year as a social project, ala the 25m commitment to a PNG NRl team. The AFLNT business case was pretty clear that NT is a non starter.
The biggest boost the Swans got was the Super League war, and that isn't going to happen again for GWS.
Agree about Tassie and think of the results they would have got with spending only half the money there that they do in propping up GWS.
For me with the demographics of Western Sydney GWS will always be a huge financial hole for AF.
I also think think that a team in Canberra is light years away with GWS playing games their, stopping the AFL putting a team there permanently.
Andrew Barr might have thought he was doing AF a favour by paying GWS to play there. Short term yes. Long term no.

The_Wookie

Bench
The biggest boost the Swans got was the Super League war, and that isn't going to happen again for GWS.
Agree about Tassie and think of the results they would have got with spending only half the money there that they do in propping up GWS.
For me with the demographics of Western Sydney GWS will always be a huge financial hole for AF.
I also think think that a team in Canberra is light years away with GWS playing games their, stopping the AFL putting a team there permanently.
Andrew Barr might have thought he was doing AF a favour by paying GWS to play there. Short term yes. Long term no.

Western Sydney is going to be a hard slog - the early misteps were big though - Blacktown, the G in GWS, playing half their games in Canberra, poor colour choices, poor player drafting. being crap....

bit of a joke when you consider the AFL is propped up by gambling sponsorship
And on bigfooty they moan about the amount that NRL clubs make from pokies.
Lets be honest here and say that that GWS take money from the ACT government, which shows they will take money from any anybody, and the AFL were happy to take money from CCP despite it's appalling human rights record.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
ACT Government not happy.
This possibly could have implications for the Giants down the track, and yes I'm aware that the article is over a month old.
Such a stupid waste of money by the ACT government. Near on $100 per attendee spent on taking games there. If the Victorian game was so committed to the district they wouldn't demand payment to play there.

Penrith fan

Juniors
GWS are top of the table. Huge game v Carton this week which will test how the franchise is going. Will it even rate a mention in the Sydney press?

GWS are top of the table. Huge game v Carton this week which will test how the franchise is going. Will it even rate a mention in the Sydney press?
It must be noted that there must must have been some creative counting to come up with a crowd figure of over 12,000 for the game at Manuka Oval this past weekend, or perhaps they was taking into account the amount of freebies given out.
8,000 at most there.