What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hagan invokes Parra's spirit of 2001 - SMH

StEely Matt

Juniors
Hagan invokes Parra's spirit of 2001

June 9, 2007

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/hagan-invokes-parras-spirit-of-2001/2007/06/08/1181089324430.html

SIX years ago, Parramatta suffered heartbreak at the hands of Michael Hagan when he masterminded a surprise grand final win for Newcastle against the 2001 minor premiers.
Now Hagan is quietly moulding a Parramatta team which retains the core of that 2001 team.
There is goal kicker Luke Burt, workaholic back-rower Nathan Hindmarsh, the pesky PJ Marsh, Daniel Wagon, skipper Nathan Cayless and Hindmarsh's older brother Ian.
And last weekend Parramatta played with more than a touch of the style that took them so close to glory in 2001 in beating the Tigers 38-8.
Not that Hagan is getting carried away with talk of the side being a genuine premiership contender. "We have got enough players that can put it to one side," he said. "I let others take care [of controlling the hype], I'm not too concerned."
With Nathan Hindmarsh and boom winger Jarryd Hayne out of the side on State of Origin duty, Hagan believes today's clash against the Raiders in Canberra will be tougher than some suspect. "They're a different team in Canberra than they were last weekend," he said.
Hagan is right. Three of the Raiders' five wins have come at home, the most recent an impressive 30-6 drubbing of St George Illawarra.
"They haven't been tipped in the last two years, and last year they ended up in the eight," Hagan said.
Parramatta arrived in the nation's capital earlier yesterday in a bid acclimatise to the bone-rattling cold.
The Eels' only injury concern is the groin of back-rower Chad Robinson.
Meanwhile, Raiders centre Brad Cross will make his debut in place of Adrian Purtell, who is suffering from deep-vein thrombosis.
Halfback Michael Dobson said Cross would perform well. "Not many opposition teams would have much knowledge of the way he plays, which is sure to remain as an advantage for him, and he will go out onto the field on Saturday with a genuine chance to find himself a spot in the top 17 for the remainder of the season," he said.
Dobson, meanwhile, has re-signed with the Canberra Raiders for another season. The journeyman halfback, who made his NRL debut with the Raiders this year after successful stints with French outfit Les Catalans and Wigan in the English Super League, said he was happy to extend his tenure with the Raiders.
"It's been hanging over my head for a few weeks now but it's done now and I know what I'm doing next year," the 21-year-old said. "It gives me and the club an opportunity to know where we're both at. I've only played 11 games so it gives me an opportunity to back myself next year and hopefully I can prove myself."
Raiders general manager Don Furner said the club hoped to again extend Dobson's contract early next year.
"It's great to have Michael signed up for another year, and good to do it before we lost him to another club," Furner said.
"It's a one-year deal, and I would like to think that we would be sitting down with him early next year and extending that as well."
AAP

StEely Matt

Juniors
Oops, just realised this post is already here under a different Thread! My bad!! How dare SMH have 2 titles for the same article...