What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hagan puts faith in kids

Prodigal Eel

Juniors

PARRAMATTA coach Michael Hagan has assured Brett Finch and Tim Smith first crack at forming the Eels' new halves combination, despite both being left out of the opening trial.
Hagan named a mostly inexperienced side for Saturday night's trip to Parkes to play the Sharks, with not one of the players named in the backline likely to feature come round one of the NRL season.
The pack has a more familiar look about it with hooker Mark Riddell leading a group that includes Josh Cordoba, Justin Tsoulos and former Sydney Roosters back rower Richard Fa'aoso in the starting line-up and rugged prop Aaron Cannings on the bench.
Feleti Mateo and Blake Green were named at five-eighth and halfback respectively, but Hagan said Finch and Smith still remained his first-choice and likely halves pairing for the Eels' NRL opener against New Zealand Warriors.
"I know training's one thing and playing's another but they've been really impressive in what they've done," Hagan said.
"They're running the team particularly well so I'm going to give them every chance to work together and get some confidence."
Finch joined the club in the off-season after an up-and-down four year stint at the Roosters.
He was viewed as the ideal replacement for departing five-eighth John Morris, and so far Hagan likes what he's seen.
Finch and Smith are likely to play in next week's trial against Gold Coast Titans in Lismore, with the opening trial against the Sharks more a chance for the younger brigade to shine.
"I guess you could say it's a reward in some cases for some players," Hagan said.
"Most of those young guys have spent a fair bit of time with us in the pre-season and deserve the opportunity at the start of the trial campaign to show what they can do.
"(Mateo and Green) have served a pretty good apprenticeship. Both played in premiership winning teams in Premier League, they've both been at the club a number of years.
"I think one or both would be a real chance of playing some first grade this year either in the halves or Feleti could even play lock or back row. He's probably going to have that all rounder sort of tag."
The match will mark the return from shoulder reconstructions for front rowers Tsoulos and Cannings, both having missed the tail end of last year's run to the NRL finals.
Hagan said Riddell had come to him seeking to play in the trial, a request the former Newcastle Knights mentor was only too happy to agree to.
"He's a bloke that needs to play games and (we're) mindful of getting him as much footy as we can before the season starts," Hagan said.
"But as far as the amount of work that he's done and his weight's going. He's done everything asked and he's trained really well so hopefully he'll start the year in pretty good shape."
After the clash with the Sharks, the Eels take on the Titans in Lismore on February 24 before wrapping up their pre-season preparations with a match against the Roosters in Gosford on March 3.
AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21220354-23214,00.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Blake and Mateo make a good halves pair so Timmy and Finchy better watch their backs

its gonna be a good battle I reckon

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Cannings and Justin out injured in the tail end part of the year? actually they were missing 3/4 of the year, Cannings only played 2 or so games?

bartman

Immortal
I hope that Feleti, Green and Keating all make the most of any first grade bench duties they may be given in the season. I hope they all get a taste of the big time to keep them keen, and in case through injury we need to call on them in key roles.

cardinal

Juniors
Phillips said:
the trial match team for parkes is a joke

Maybe drive to Sydney one weekend and see a first grade game,if seeing some of the the best young talent going around is not your cup of tea. :roll:

Hellsy

Immortal
They have been saying for ages that the Parkes team would be mainly young-un's.
Lismore is meant to be a mix
Gosford is meant to be a full NRL team

saturday cant come soon enough for me, is anyone going to be able to post updates here for us unlucky peole who can't make it...would be awesome if someone could.

We Might be able to send SMS scores back to a Range of people to have the updates put up live.

We might be even able to record a bit of a half time video review show for you if we want to get technical.

Phillips

Referee
cardinal said:
Maybe drive to Sydney one weekend and see a first grade game,if seeing some of the the best young talent going around is not your cup of tea. :roll:

i dont drink tea :eek:

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
geeze, you're easy ;-) :lol:

yes, well when you turn around to me at the football on a cold wintery night and you're pouring coffee from your thurmace into you plastic cup and ask me, where did we get this Weller kid?? I'll be more than happy to help out, i promise. ;-)

Latest posts