What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HAL 09/10 :: R12 Fri :: The F3 Derby :: Newcastle 2 Central Coast 1 @ EnergyAustralia

Who will win the F3 Derby?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'll admit to have never having followed the NSL closely, but I did tune in when they were on Seven and I did follow as best I could with my dial up internet connection from rural NSW. There's definitely no cause for alarm just yet, but that's not to say clubs shouldn't be taking steps to boost crowds all the same.

Ideally, you'd not have any clubs with an average of under 10,000.

fish eel

Immortal
GC are probably the biggest worry.

They want to actually cap their crowds at 5k by shutting most of the stadium.

Interestingly, Mick Cockerill wrote a piece before the season started basically saying they'd have poor crowds because they had basically ignored the grassroots

roboshark

Coach
I have been around since the newcastle kb united days. I have seen crowds go up and down like a yo yo. 2 jets wins in a row and there will be 15k at next game. Fickle city

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fair is fair though, even the Knights didn't dip below 11,000 this year.

Timmah

Staff member
Part of the problem is, you've got people like Timmah who now follow the A-League (which is great), but they have no idea just how dismal the crowds in the NSL were, because they had no interest, which leads to them sprouting utter nonsense in comparing A-League crowds with NSL crowds.

"people like Timmah" :lol:

My "utter nonsense" as you so delightfully put it is because I'm concerned about the success of the competition. I don't particularly want to see the sport cop another kick to the teeth if this competition disintergrates like the NSL did - and I especially don't want to see the region I live in lose (currently) its only professional sporting team. Call that melodramatic but without improvement, it could easily happen.

While the first few years have been much more successful and some teams still draw good crowds (namely Melbourne, where they've decided to add another team - go figure), the decline this year is of a major concern. Pretending it's not - because it hasn't fully reached the levels of back in the NSL competition - is like telling someone the sun isn't hot or the sky's not blue. The FFA and the clubs have a big task ahead of them. Personally I think it's going to take another positive World Cup from Australia to get some of the interest back from the public.

Settling for mediocre, which is what the current level of support is in general, isn't right IMO.

Knightmare

Coach
It wouldn't surprise me if he's doing some emotional eating at Broady maccas.

As for the "Marinators" they have been a joke since day one. What kind of supporters group is sponsored by the club they support? :lol:

When we played them down there about a month and a half ago, we almost filled 2 bays. They can't even fill half of one.

Victory fans had more supporters at EAS on Sunday then the M*r*n*rs did tonight.

The kind of supporters' group who know they are free to critiscize the club (if need be) without having the CEO threaten to throw us off the balcony of our stadium :lol:

roboshark

Coach
Good old con hey. Sitting in his box with his lacky john tsastimas....both useless

And I support the jets!!!

fish eel

Immortal
"people like Timmah" :lol:

I wasn't have a go precious, or was I wrong, did you follow the NSL?

My "utter nonsense" as you so delightfully put it is because I'm concerned about the success of the competition. I don't particularly want to see the sport cop another kick to the teeth if this competition disintergrates like the NSL did - and I especially don't want to see the region I live in lose (currently) its only professional sporting team. Call that melodramatic but without improvement, it could easily happen.

OH, FMD, the Central Coast losing their side?

No, you're not melodramatic.

Not at all.

While the first few years have been much more successful and some teams still draw good crowds (namely Melbourne, where they've decided to add another team - go figure), the decline this year is of a major concern. Pretending it's not - because it hasn't fully reached the levels of back in the NSL competition - is like telling someone the sun isn't hot or the sky's not blue. The FFA and the clubs have a big task ahead of them. Personally I think it's going to take another positive World Cup from Australia to get some of the interest back from the public.

Settling for mediocre, which is what the current level of support is in general, isn't right IMO.

You need to read my posts more.

I've said their is a problem.

How is that pretending it's not?:roll:

Timmah

Staff member
Pretending there's not a problem - defending crowds of 6 or 7k because they're not as low as the NSL. Pretty obvious to me. The trend is there, the only teams bucking it are Melbourne and Sydney, and even Sydney had a crowd around 8k last week from memory.

Any ideas for improvement, seeing as you aren't pretending there's nothing wrong?

fish eel

Immortal
Pretending there's not a problem - defending crowds of 6 or 7k because they're not as low as the NSL. Pretty obvious to me. The trend is there, the only teams bucking it are Melbourne and Sydney, and even Sydney had a crowd around 8k last week from memory.

Any ideas for improvement, seeing as you aren't pretending there's nothing wrong?

FFS Timmah, are you thick?

Show me where I said there was no problem you stupid git.

I acknowledged the crowds are a problem, I simply said it's not comparable to the NSL.

Are you having comprehension problems?

Well Timmah, I've never denied there are issues with A-League crowds.

Yes, some clubs have disappoingting crowds this year.

and I also said GC are the biggest worry.

So perhaps you should read more before you put words in my mouth.

And for the record, I've been attending club soccer matches in this country while a johnny come lately like you was still on the breast milk, so lecture me all you like, just make more of an effort to know what you're rambling on about.

As for ideas for improvements.

Adelaide will pick up if they start winning.

Perth are doing OK, they've got a lot of bridges to rebuild with the fanbase

Nth Qld are building a decent base if they can perform on field.

CCM will never draw big crowds.

Sydney would have had a bigger crowd last week had there not been that storm

GC, Brisbane are basket cases.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
As for ideas for improvements.

Adelaide will pick up if they start winning.

Perth are doing OK, they've got a lot of bridges to rebuild with the fanbase

Nth Qld are building a decent base if they can perform on field.

CCM will never draw big crowds.

Sydney would have had a bigger crowd last week had there not been that storm

GC, Brisbane are basket cases.
Wellington or Newcastle? :crazy:

Nevan_

First Grade
Wellington are going better than Newcastle at the moment. Newcastle will be fine IMO. Once they sack Branko and start winning some matches.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Sacking another coach really isn't the answer for the Jets. We've been doing plenty of that.

The Hunter, based on their support of the Knights, is an area that respects loyalty. The Knights almost went to pieces when Brian Smith came in from outside and started firing marginal players. The Jets have made little or no effort to keep on local heroes. While it was inevitable they'd lose clubs like Carle and Griffiths and Rodriguez - but we won a grand final and let go of guys like Bridge, Durante, and Musialik were fairly forced out of the club by Constantine's ego.

While I bemoan the lack of recruitment done by the Knights every season, it's still very easy to 'love' a team when it's mostly the same guys out there every week. A side like the Mariners, I hate to say, would have been far more popular in Newcastle because it's not been prone to the same shake-ups whenever things look a little bumpy.

Or, in the case of 07-08, even when they don't look bumpy.

fish eel

Immortal
Branko was a poor appointment IMO, but you guys got screwed over by GVE royally IMO. I would have liked to seen you grab Paul Okon but you'd have had to pay out GCU

Incidently, Newcastle's squad is good, I reckon much better than your position on the ladder indicates.

Solid in the centre of defence with Costanzo and Milicevic. Some good quality in midfield with Song and Kantarovksi and Bridges, Rooney & Sasho should be able to give you enough goals. The Iraqi is a good player as well. It's a top 6 squad.