What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HAL 09/10 :: R12 Fri :: The F3 Derby :: Newcastle 2 Central Coast 1 @ EnergyAustralia

Who will win the F3 Derby?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roboshark

Coach
:lol:

Might want to try filling at least one of your own bays before making comments on the other team's level of support. 6,188 for a local derby :lol: Shameful.

I was down that end, there were maybe 1 or 2 kids in the area?

Are you telling me that both the Squadron and all Jets fans have never sworn? :lol:

I'm here. You may have noticed I was responsible for the 6am Four Nations game this morning - win or lose I wouldn't have been posting until now anyway. Congratulations on the win. Was to be expected, Strebre almost danced in awarding the two Jets goals. Some pisspoor fouls given right throughout but we couldn't get the breakthrough.

Good from the Jets' P.O.V. that Kennedy finally showed some mettle at keeper, he made a number of good saves last night.

You were right next to the family hill. It could be heard quite clearly from there. The same as when they sang "who the f**k are ya" to the mascot walking around the ground

Obviously I have no f**kin issue with swearing but I do have issues when it is so obvious to a lot of kids and their families

Just my thoughts though.....I feel the same if its the squadron

NK Arsenal

Juniors
:lol:

Might want to try filling at least one of your own bays before making comments on the other team's level of support. 6,188 for a local derby :lol: Shameful.

The CCM got 5,917 for the first ever derby...

But anyway, if we win a few more games in the next few weeks we can get our crowds to ~10k (hopefully)

I'm here. You may have noticed I was responsible for the 6am Four Nations game this morning - win or lose I wouldn't have been posting until now anyway.

Sure you wouldn't have ;-)

Congratulations on the win. Was to be expected, Strebre almost danced in awarding the two Jets goals. Some pisspoor fouls given right throughout but we couldn't get the breakthrough.

Stebre had a great game imo

Good from the Jets' P.O.V. that Kennedy finally showed some mettle at keeper, he made a number of good saves last night.

Got to agree with that one, BK was great. Despite what others have said, I don't think he was that bad against the Victory last week tbh..

And also, I have to say that the merkin who goes by the name of Kwasnik played decent, as did that Welsh bloke

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
All points well taken but EPIC :lol: at using the second ever round of the A-League to compare to an outside-RL-season fixture 5 seasons on at EAS.

No matter which way you cut it, last night's crowd was disgraceful. You're lucky you were playing a local away side, would've been far less had you played anyone except maybe Sydney.

And I disagree with your earlier assertion we bought less fans than Melbourne a week earlier.

Timmah

Staff member
You were right next to the family hill. It could be heard quite clearly from there. The same as when they sang "who the f**k are ya" to the mascot walking around the ground

Obviously I have no f**kin issue with swearing but I do have issues when it is so obvious to a lot of kids and their families

Just my thoughts though.....I feel the same if its the squadron

Oh dear I missed some of this.

First of all, I'd argue we're hardly educating the children of Newcastle. That aside, the family hill crowd equated to four men and four dogs, that was about it.

Seeing players clearly swearing to me is much worse than a group of yobbos chanting the f word what, four or five times?

Being a bit precious IMO.

I also remember the mascot chant and there was no F word in it mate.

Timmah

Staff member
Not much to talk about past the 30-odd minute mark apart from McGlinchey's 40m attempt.

Game turned boring after that.

Nevan_

First Grade
If i were a Newcastle fan, i wouldn't be happy. You're still from Newcastle and have a sh*t coach.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Not too sure why there are constant barrages from either side of the fence in ANY of the A-League threads RE: crowds. It's quite obvious the crowd attendances are fairly ordinary this year, so instead of saying "oh, you got 6k, but we got 7k so therefore we must be better than you", how about you think about WHY the crowds are down. I mean, really, who gives a f**k what the crowd figure is. Does it really matter? And is it REALLY something worthy of getting "brownie points" over rivals on an internet forum? JMO.

Timmah

Staff member
Beg to differ. We're consistently getting 8-9-10k, which is far more than we managed in our first season from memory.

You guys are yet to crack 7k if I'm not mistaken - something that should be happening easily given your population in relation to ours. Big problems in Newcastle. Not denying there aren't problems everywhere.

Timmah

Staff member
I mean, really, who gives a f**k what the crowd figure is. Does it really matter? And is it REALLY something worthy of getting "brownie points" over rivals on an internet forum? JMO.

I'm concerned about crowd figured because it affects the profitability and marketability (is that a word?) of the game. Newcastle's crowds this season are back in NSL territory, even allowing for the Knights being on the radar for the first 8 or 9 weeks of the season.

From a CC perspective I'd love to see our crowds crack 10,000 more regularly - it means more exposure, better sponsorship opportunities, and quite frankly it looks and sounds better.

FWIW, I thought Friday's crowd was closer to 8-9k than 6 - npt sure how they came up with such a figure.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Beg to differ. We're consistently getting 8-9-10k, which is far more than we managed in our first season from memory.

You guys are yet to crack 7k if I'm not mistaken - something that should be happening easily given your population in relation to ours. Big problems in Newcastle. Not denying there aren't problems everywhere.
Yes, we are yet to crack 7k, however, I'm not too concerned by it because Newcastle people, quite frankly, are fickle. Start winning, the crowds will start to increase. It's as simple as that.

And yes, NFI how they got 6188 on Friday. There was at least 8k there. Not that that's anything to be proud of either, but still ...

fish eel

Immortal
I'm concerned about crowd figured because it affects the profitability and marketability (is that a word?) of the game. Newcastle's crowds this season are back in NSL territory, even allowing for the Knights being on the radar for the first 8 or 9 weeks of the season.

From a CC perspective I'd love to see our crowds crack 10,000 more regularly - it means more exposure, better sponsorship opportunities, and quite frankly it looks and sounds better.

FWIW, I thought Friday's crowd was closer to 8-9k than 6 - npt sure how they came up with such a figure.

No, they're not. Stop parroting media reports of A-League crowds.

Yes, some clubs have disappoingting crowds this year. But the crowds are still 2-3 times what most NSL clubs were getting (main exceptions being adelaide and perth). Newcastle would have considered 4K a brilliant crowd. Some sides in the NSL's final season got less than 1000 - and figures were terribly inflated.

And remember, NSL clubs were drawing those dismal crowds with no live tv unlike the A-League.....

Timmah

Staff member
No, they're not. Stop parroting media reports of A-League crowds.

Yes, some clubs have disappoingting crowds this year. But the crowds are still 2-3 times what most NSL clubs were getting (main exceptions being adelaide and perth). Newcastle would have considered 4K a brilliant crowd. Some sides in the NSL's final season got less than 1000 - and figures were terribly inflated.

And remember, NSL clubs were drawing those dismal crowds with no live tv unlike the A-League.....
I made specific reference to Newcastle, my concerns have nothing to do with the media. They're yet to top 7,000 with their lowest crowd 4,000-odd. That's approaching NSL levels. The real test is their next home match I suppose, now they've won a game.

fish eel

Immortal
I made specific reference to Newcastle, my concerns have nothing to do with the media. They're yet to top 7,000 with their lowest crowd 4,000-odd. That's approaching NSL levels. The real test is their next home match I suppose, now they've won a game.

Yes, and I am calling bullsh*t on that claim.

They got crowds of 2,3 and 4k in their last year. Or atleast thats what was announced. All NSL crowds were atleast 25% marked up - with NO live TV.

To say they're approaching NSL levels smacks of complete ignorance. But, hey, I'll cut you some slack because I doubt you ever followed the NSL, right?

fish eel

Immortal
anyway Timmah, dont believe me, lets look at the last year of the NSL and see how Newcastle United faired at home with their crowds in the NSL. To be realistic, you should mark these numbers down by 25%

R2 v Northen Spirit - 4673
Rd4 v Parramatta 3501
R6 v Adelaide United 3005
R9 v Sydney United 3672
R10 v Sydney Olympic 1651
R11 v Perth 2976
R13 v Wollongong 3513
R14 v Football Kingz 1433
R16 v Marconi 3084
R18 v South Melbourne 1231
R20 v Brisbane 2181
R25 v Melbourne KNights 3263

Pretty sure that's an average of less than 3k.

Might have missed a game or two, but aside from a spike when they plaed the northen spirit (and a good portion of that crowd would have been spirit fans), you can see their current crowd average is well above their NSL crowds. Mention the NSL when they announce crowds of 3.5k when there is probably 2.5 there.....

http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/NSL/20032004/NSL.html

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
If the current problem isn't remedied, those lows aren't far away. 4,000 has already happened this year.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
If the current problem isn't remedied, those lows aren't far away. 4,000 has already happened this year.
I'll call bullsh*t on that too ;-)

Something tells me we may have turned the corner. If we get a positive result against the Roar on Friday night (not beyond the realms of possibility considering our record up there), you watch the crowds flock back like seagulls to a hot chip :crazy:

fish eel

Immortal
If the current problem isn't remedied,

Well Timmah, I've never denied there are issues with A-League crowds.

those lows aren't far away. 4,000 has already happened this year.

When they start getting less than 4K, and crowds drop to below 2k, then you can start talking about NSL crowds. Until then, stop being so melodramatic.

Misanthrope

Staff member
:clap:

Well said. I'm sick of hearing all of this doomsaying and reading these tales of predicted woe. The A-League's doing fine. It had a fantastic start that has given people false hopes, and now it's settling down.

fish eel

Immortal
:clap:

Well said. I'm sick of hearing all of this doomsaying and reading these tales of predicted woe. The A-League's doing fine. It had a fantastic start that has given people false hopes, and now it's settling down.

Part of the problem is, you've got people like Timmah who now follow the A-League (which is great), but they have no idea just how dismal the crowds in the NSL were, because they had no interest, which leads to them sprouting utter nonsense in comparing A-League crowds with NSL crowds.