What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halfback term ?

beekershark

Bench
Hoping you lads can clear something up for me.

A debate in the Sharks NRL forum raised an interesting question. Someone suggested that in the UK, the term HALFBACK is used to refer to both the traditional number 7, and the traditional number 6 .

Is that the case ?

I have spent a good deal of time in the UK watching league and have heard that our " 5/8" postion is sometimes referred to as STAND OFF, and the number 7 is of course the HALFBACK. But is the term HALFBACK EVER used for both "halves" ??

The question was raised in reference to Ryan Mcgoldrick, is he playing HALFBACK or STANDOFF for Cas ?

Games I have watched had him feeding the scrum, which I can only presume is at traditional number 7.

any clarification would be super as I must say I've never heard of you Poms calling the number 6 " halfback"

Azkatro

First Grade
Ryan McGoldrick is playing at stand-off for Castleford, in English terms. Andy Kain is their scrum half. Ben Roarty is the preferred choice at loose forward (lock). I've rarely heard the poms use the term halfback at all.

Skinner

Coach
The 6 & 7 are referred to as "halves" but individually the 7 is the halfback
and the 6 is either stand-off or five eight (although 5/8 is really a rugby
term).

Cheers

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Stevo calls the 6 and 7 halfbacks alot in commentary, but they only say it collectively. I don't know if it's the correct term or not but the poms use it all the time.

beekershark

Bench
So, Ryan Mcgolrdick feeds the scrums from 5/8 ?

I understand the term HALVES for the 6 and 7 together, but is the number 6 ever called a HALBACK ? per se ?

Padds

Juniors
Hi, guys, I'm English and we call 6 and 7 the halfbacks, collectively.

Separately they are the standoff #6 and scrumhalf #7.

And #13 is the looseforward

beekershark said:
So, Ryan Mcgolrdick feeds the scrums from 5/8 ?

I understand the term HALVES for the 6 and 7 together, but is the number 6 ever called a HALBACK ? per se ?

Gaz_E

Juniors
A few teams over here will have either the 'halves' feeding the scrum dependent on what side of the pitch it is. This is due to some teams (warrington included) playing a system where each 'half' will control one side of the pitch each. It's not a system i really like as i think teams are better served having the 'halfback' in aussie terms controlling the team. Warrington seem to play better when Lee Briers takes this role on and gets people running off his shoulder (must be the Joey influence). I think it's dependent on the type of players you have too.

BeenThere

Juniors
Just for you Beeker -- from an English newspaper

HALF-BACKS HOLD THE KEY
By Ian Laybourn, PA Sport Rugby League Correspondent
The emergence of Salford and the early-season struggles of Wigan are the current talking points in Super League and both can be linked by a common theme - the quality of their half-backs.

So just who is the most important player in a modern rugby league team?
In the good old days, the top sides made sure they had a world-class winger to ensure they could score tries once the forward battle had been won.
Now, though, increasingly the focus has moved to a fast, mobile pack which can make ground and create the space for the half-backs to dictate play.
It has, however, always traditionally been the case that forwards win matches and the backs determine by how much - and in the modern, attritional game, that has never been more true.

But the individual with the biggest influence on the outcome of a game these days is undoubtedly the tactical kicker.

Successful teams still rely on their go-forward, but it is the ability of the kicker to put the hard-won possession to good use which invariably affects the result.

In many cases, a goal-line drop-out is greeted with almost as much delight as that of a try, and increasingly teams decline even easy penalty kicks at goal in order to maintain pressure on the opposition defence.

An extra set of tackles in the opposition 20-metre area is sweet music to the ear of a coach as his team plays the percentages.

The form of Bradford's Paul Deacon in the second half of last season was the crucial factor behind the Bulls' late surge to the title.

The supreme kicking skills of Leeds skipper Kevin Sinfield and St Helens duo Sean Long and Paul Sculthorpe have been huge factors behind their club's recent successes while Danny Brough's emergence has mirrored that of his club, Hull.

The brilliant kicking skills of Lee Briers ensures that Warrington are invariably competitive in every match while Huddersfield rely so heavily on the expert boot of Chris Thorman.

The loss of Stacey Jones easily explains Catalans Dragons' failure to build on their impressive opening win, while the lack of an astute tactical kicker might perhaps go some to way to explaining why Wigan have struggled since the departure of Andy Farrell.

Warriors coach Ian Millward has still to decide on his best half-back partner for Dennis Moran, with Sean O'Loughlin, Kevin Brown and Danny Orr all getting their chances to hold down the number six role.

Perhaps Millward ought to borrow a player from Salford, whose plethora of half-backs has been the major factor behind their excellent start.

Karl Fitzpatrick, a valuable utility player who caught the eye of Bradford coach Brian Noble last year, performed an admirable job to help the Reds through their injury crisis at the start of the season.

Luke Robinson, ironically reared and then released by Wigan, has made a big impact on his return from injury and Salford's close-season recruitment of ex-Leeds playmaker Andrew Dunemann is proving to be the one of smartest pieces of transfer business.

Salford fans have yet to see their other major half-back signing, Stephen Myler, because of injury so the omens for Karl Harrison's men are particularly good as they continue to make a mockery of their pre-season odds of 300-1 to finish top.

Wigan, on the other hand, have drifted from 10-1 before the start of the season to 80-1 with one bookmaker after losing four of their first five matches and face a crucial fixture with relegation favourites Castleford on Sunday.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
I have always known the term 'half backs' to be the 6 and 7 in a team.

For me its stand off and scrum half, who are collectively known as the half backs.