What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halfway point, who will be premiers?

Who will be the 2006 premiers

• Broncos

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • Storm

Votes: 45 17.2%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 38 14.5%
  • Cowboys

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • Knights

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Sea Eagles

Votes: 27 10.3%
  • Sharks

Votes: 24 9.2%
  • Dragons

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • Tigers

Votes: 27 10.3%
  • Raiders

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Roosters

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Pathers

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Eels

• Warriors

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Souths

• Total voters

Inferno

Coach
The Sharks are far from laughable. We've competed strongly this year after a shaky start despite not once a full strength team on deck. There were so many stages where the wheels could have fallen of the wagon for us.

We had Steve Rogers untimely death, Hutch Mavaia punching a teammate, the Bird sms saga, the "vicious" emailing campaign to sack the coach, Ben Ross going down for the season, Darren Mapp urinating in a pub, Latu being sacked, and then our most promising junior suffering one of the most horrific injuries a young footballer could suffer. Honestly the fact we are even anyway near the top is a miracle. PLUS we haven't hit anywhere near top gear yet ;-). I wonder how a lot of coaches would cope with their number 1 prop going down, or having to sack a player mid season. People always underate us, but don't worry we love it.

That said I don't think we'll take it out this year. Cows seem to have already peaked but they will be there at the end of the year. I'd put my money on either the Broncs (great overall team) or Dogs (outstanding forward pack and yet to hit top gear) or the Storm (Benchmark backline) and surprise surprise they are the current top 3.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Inferno said:
The Sharks are far from laughable. We've competed strongly this year after a shaky start despite not once a full strength team on deck.

The Sharks were good...without KIMMORLEY and with DYKES as the no7!

Balmain_Boy

Based off today's performance I think we'll make the 2nd week of the finals at least. I'm confident we can win it.

Apart from the Tiges, I like the look of the Dogs. I don't think they are playing particularly good football, but they are getting the job done. Their forward pack will be lethal come finals time.

Inferno

Coach
Damn Tigers.

I think they are doing it on purpose just to fly under the radar and then bitch slap everyone in the finals again.

Estoboy

Juniors
Broncos - can't win it. Even if they are minor premiers, they just wont make it
Storm - a real chance and probably the best bet, but I can see them fumbling along the way
Bulldogs - the potential is there, but I think they'll crack at the crunch time
Cowboys - like melbourne but it depends on injuries and finding someone to partner JT
Knights - If they are full strength heading into Week 3 with Johns, they'll walk away with the trophey. If not, then goodbye 2006
Sea Eagles - Potentially they can do it, but we'll see. I don't like their backline
Sharks - the chant will be sung for many more years to come
Dragons - nope, they've blown it. Their only chance is if they get their act together NOW
Tigers - consistance is starting to creep into the Tigers style, but ATM they will crack under the pressure
Raiders - lol
Roosters - nope
Panthers - ditto
Eels - haha
Warriors - no chance, even if they had a 12 point start
Rabbitohs - sadly not this year, but their biggest win may happen off the field

BrisVegas

Juniors
My Prediction:

The Broncos - If firing at the end of the season, finish in the top 4 and get direct entry to week 3 they will be a lock. There has been a complete change of staff below Bennett, new trainers and conditioning regimens. The team has been building towards better performances all year with the fowards excelling in recent weeks (see Bulldogs game). They have the depth, a potent mix of youth and experience and Webcke's retirement as a source of inspiration. Lockyer has built a great partnership with Hunt and we finally have some strike power on the wings with Tame Two Tries Toupu and Darrius Boyd. Losing Ennis was a blow, but if it had to happen at least it was early in the season. Only Lockyer being ruled out for the rest of the season will put the team out of contention. Have won 7 of their last 8.

Other Legitiment Threats

The Storm - One of the top 3 coaches in the League. Amazing depth in the backs and solid fowards who always put in 100%. Getting Crocker back in the run home will be a big boost. If they finish in the top 4 I pitty the team which will have to travel to what is becoming a graveyard at Olympic Park. As long as Smith stays on the field they will be a threat. If Bellamy and the senior players can get the less experienced in the right frame of mind for finals football they will be dangerous.

The Bulldogs - Always a threat during finals no matter if they finish 1st or 8th. Great foward pack when switched on. Sonny Bill needs to recapture that form of 18 months ago. Hazem will make sure any try scored is worth 6 points.

Wild Cards

The Cowboys - If they can reproduce their magic of the first 6 weeks they will be a force. It all hangs on post-Origin performance. I believe Murray can pull them through it though.

The Tigers - I was nearly ready to write them off but the are beginning to recapture the form of last years finals. Need to keep Benji on the field. Jury is still out, but things will be clearer at the end of the month. The True Wild Card of the competition.

The Pretenders

The Knights
- Biggest one man team in the competition. If Johns is on fire so are the Knights. If Johns is tired so are the Knights. If Johns can't play the Knights shouldn't bother turning up. I don't think Johns will be able to hold up on the home streach and the first few weeks of finals.

The Dragons - Will make a surge up the table during the final third of the comp only to fizzle out in the second or third week of the finals. Nathan Brown is not the man to coach them to the premiership, at least not yet.

The Spoon:

Souths - A mortal lock that Souths will be adding to the cuttlery, especially if mass changes are made for next year. Only a team being penalised for gross salary cap breaches can save them.

wow this is another exciting comp anyone can win it i think

it would be great right now if parra started too fire as well it would be awesome too have at least 14 teams completely for the 8 spots during the last few weeks

The Preacher

First Grade
I still think the Dragons can win it, and if they don't I'll offer a little prayer, if needed, to make sure it's not the f**ken scummies. :pray:

DJ1

Juniors
There are now 10 teams who cannot win this year. I have added the Roosters to my original pre-season predictions.

Roosters - Cannot win this year despite having an open checkbook team. Ricky Stuart is a myth. Whilst he has many friends in high places who are constantly talking him up and giving him rep coaching opportunities he is unable to effectively coach a team which has not been built for him by a better coach. He won a Jersey Flegg premiership with a team that had won the previous 2. He won a GF on the back of the good work of G Murray. He has coached rep teams that you and I could coach to a win. He is absolutely lost without Brad Fittler and has no answers. His team selections and use of the bench show his uselessness. His record from 2002 to 2006 in games without Fittler stands at,

Games: 42
Wins: 16
Losses: 26
Winning Percentage: 38.1%

Previous pre-season predictions
Dragons - Should have won last year and every other year we hear the same story. Have about 1000 origin players in the line up. Will start favourites for the premiership. St George cannot win because Nathan Brown cannot coach finals football. He is still one of the boys despite the odd slap here and there. There will also be a growing disharmony within the ranks due to who's staying, who's leaving and who is or isn't taking paycuts to keep the Jubilee Idols. They are so good at choking you would think that Brian Smith had once coached the club.

Parramatta - Probably have the 2nd best roster in the NRL. Have shown they have the ability to destroy any side on their day. Parramatta cannot win this year because of the Brian Smith issue. The situation will progressively get worse throughout the season with Smith exiting before the finals get here. The Choking culture is still alive and well.

Panthers - still have a great roster and have a large group of players at the club that were victorious in 2003. Unfortunately, the Gower incident will not create a happy home environment and then the backstabbing of Lang will divert focus from where it needs to be.

Sharks - Perhaps its a bit of the case of "it has to happen one day". They are well overdue for one. Just like if a poker player plays enough hands, he will eventually get that Royal flush. Whilst this viewpoint may encourage Sharks fans, anyone with an understanding of poker or probalility theory will clearly see that a royal flush only occurs once every 649,740 attempts and the Sharks have only had 39. Long way to go. They simply don't have a winning culture. They could've had one but didn't have the stomach to let Anderson finish the job.

Raiders - Elliots mind will be on warmer climates. Too much development work to do.

Newcastle - Cannot win this year due to Joey either being injured, holding back from giving 100% cause he doesn't want to get injured, Joey's mind on his future Footy show career, Hagan wanting out or the squad wanting to impress their 2007 coach with a solid example of choking.

Warriors - What a controversy it would be if they were to get up this year. The loss of 4 points may see the warriors adapt 'the throw the ball around and see what happens' approach. Seige mentality can pull a team together, but the Villasanti refusal proves they haven't got what it takes this year. Certain teams can thrive and excel on the field whilst the club is in the midst of dramatic adversity. This is not one of them.

Souths - No. They needed Harrison and either Anasta or Orford minimum.

Tigers - Have a stronger side this year than what they had to win the title last year. Unfortunately for them, every team lifts to play the "premiers". No "Underneath the radar" anthem this year.

super_coach

First Grade
Come the end of season games,the dogs will be very hard to beat. Their go forward is second to none.They are just belting teams and when Shifty Sherwin gets some form back they will be near unstoppable in the big ones.
A team like the storm or the tigers on their day maybe able to attack them out of a game,but I really doubt they could control the dogs forwards.The Eagles are a dark horse,but their form at the moment is up and down

DJ1

Juniors
Only 5 left who can win it.

Broncos
Storm
Cowboys
Bulldogs
Sea Eagles

[furrycat]

Coach
Corbin said:
I'm a optimistic Roosters fan who voted for the Roosters....

My Bet would be Sea Eagles or Knights to romp this one home, i don't expect Broncos, Cowboys and Storm to be able to handle post Origin like most other years (mainly Broncos)

Bulldogs have a good case with that forward back, but there back line is just so piss weak now, Really need to buy back Vagana IMO, there centres are a shocker.

End of Season
1 Knights/Eagles
2 Eagles/Knights
3 Storm
4 Dragons
5 Broncos
6 Cowboys
7 Roosters
8 Bulldogs
9 Tigers
10 Panthers
11 Sharks
12 Warriors
13 Parramatta
14 Raiders
15 Souths :(

Something around that type maybe a few up and a few down, not sure about where I put tigers though

Corbin

:lol: Oh my god you have no idea. The Roosters higher than the dogs and tigers? :lol: Please...

Mr Saab

Referee
lockyno1 said:
Everyone keeps underrating the Broncos!

And rightfully so!
What have the Broncos done since 2002? Died in the a$$$$$$$$$$
Storm can win it, but i dont know about their halves...you need good halves to win it all.