What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halifax - days are numbered

GBT

Juniors
Halifax, once a club with a fine tradition, especially during the late 1940's to late 50's period.

For far too long, the clubs administration has played on the old tradition, losing touch with modern day trends and despite success in the 1980's, which saw something of a renaissance. All that those gains of the 80's, that onfield success is seemingly useless in the face of imminent relegation.

At last nights home game against Widnes, Halifax recorded a crowd of 1,919.

Should Halifax fail to stay up, what chance is there for the club's long term future?

Anonymous

Juniors
Gav, are you suggesting relegation or complete disintegration?
Is there an underlying reason for their demise?

terracesider

Juniors
Their demise is a result of a long, complicated off-the-field saga which I haven't followed in detail so I haven't completetly grasped it. As far as I can make out, Fax were a poor side to begin with this year, a problem compunded by a number of factors, including:

the previous board left the club with severe financial problems;
their unfinished new ground;
morale suffered a blow when they were deducted points for salary cap breaches;
a number of players have been done for doping.

All in all it's a mess. And in Huddersfield were are throroughly enjoying it after 30 years of stick from them, including a few years ago some highly dubious end-of -season performances producing results which saw us relegated.

Relegation is not the end for them GBT. We've spent most of the last 30 years in the lower divisions. In about 1988 we were in a much worse state, but we're back.

GBT

Juniors
terracesider said:
Their demise is a result of a long, complicated off-the-field saga which I haven't followed in detail so I haven't completetly grasped it. As far as I can make out, Fax were a poor side to begin with this year, a problem compunded by a number of factors, including:

the previous board left the club with severe financial problems;
their unfinished new ground;
morale suffered a blow when they were deducted points for salary cap breaches;
a number of players have been done for doping.

All in all it's a mess. And in Huddersfield were are throroughly enjoying it after 30 years of stick from them, including a few years ago some highly dubious end-of -season performances producing results which saw us relegated.

Relegation is not the end for them GBT. We've spent most of the last 30 years in the lower divisions. In about 1988 we were in a much worse state, but we're back.

Are you a 'Nosox' fan terracesider?

I'm not suggesting relegation is the end for Halifax, but they do seem to be in such a perilous state that it's a distinct possibilty.

Halifax have been playing financial catch up since the David Brook years; every succeeding administration has had to face the shortcomings of it's predecesor.

On to 1988-89. Yes, that period was bad, but crowds were far greater, even in the old second division. The lowest period was in the 1970's.

The trouble with the mindset at Halifax is a belief that unless results on the field improve fans won't be tempted back. This is untrue. A club can attract the fanbase without results. The real rot set in during the switch to summer, some clubs embraced the new opportunity, Halifax didn't.

terracesider

Juniors
A Halifax Fan? An insult GBT. I'm a Fartowner, come whatever. We've suffered decades of stick from Fax and now it's our turn now to dish it out. But I still don't want to see Fax go to the wall.

From the Fax board on RL Fans.com I've gathered that the worst of the off the field problems have been largely solved, although there are still concerns being expressed about the unfinished ground and some of the people who might be taking it over. On the field, although they have a poor team now, they have some promising talent coming through the under 21s and under 18s which bodes well for the future. It won't do them any harm to have a spell to regroup in the lower divisions.

I've heard the view expressed befoe that Fax's troubles are partly because the failed to grasp the new oppotrunities presented by summer rugby, but I'm not sure what those opportunities were.

At Huddersfield we are experts on bad chairmen and bad sides, God knows we've put up with enough. But we survived and I expect Halifax will do the same.

GBT

Juniors
Apologies terracesider, a faux pas on my part.

At Huddersfield you've had the luxury of Ken Davey's fairly deep pockets - Halifax have no-one of that stature.

When they do go down, it's far from certain they'll get back into Super League.

I hope Nosox stay in business.

terracesider

Juniors
I don't know if you've read any reports about the meeting last Monday between the Fax fans and the club. It seems there is a bit of regrouping taking place and the future existence of the club is more or less assured.
I suspect that Fax's immediate problem is to get a team together to compete in NL1, since the playing staff is already jumping ship.

terracesider

Juniors
UPDATE:
BBC website said:
Meanwhile, Halifax are back in the black after making the final payment to clear their £450,000 debts.

They haven'y got any decent players left but at least they have survived so, after 20 years of stick from them, we can now laugh as they descend into NL2. Isn't schaudenfraude disgraceful.

Meanwhile, the Aussie rats have been leaving the ship in droves and Chris Anderson is less than impressed with some of his fellow countrymen.

From the BBC.