What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hang me for saying this but the NRL needs to go national or go down the drain

music_2000

Juniors
Hang me for saying this but the NRL really needs to go back to a national competition. Being a fan of ALL the codes (afl,a-league, super14) I can't stand it when I start talking to someone from Perth about how the west coast eagles or Fremantle are going in the AFL and then when I say
what do you think of Tim Smith or Darren Lockyer they say Darren who???, they need league.

A team needs to relocated to Perth NOW or sometime in the future to keep NRL interest in the western state. unless a new team can be formed the sharks played their earlier this year with positive results so they would be a good team to do so

Adeliade needs a team again too and I don't know who should move there but a likely team may be the eagles or the bulldogs.

Ultimately I can see that the eels and panthers may eventually amalgamate. Souths may have to move to central coast too.

I'm sorry for saying these things but it may have to happen for NRL to sustain itself and I know people get into an uproar over a team relocating or merging but its not as bad as a team going completely bust now is it? at least the team exists.

Personally I think (as do others) there is no longer room for 4 codes of footy in Australia and I hope the NRL will the code that remains. thoughts?

willvillain

Juniors
music_2000 said:
I'm sorry for saying these things but it may have to happen for NRL to sustain itself and I know people get into an uproar over a team relocating or merging but its not as bad as a team going completely bust now is it? at least the team exists.

It's the same thing IMO. I go for the Manly Sea Eagles, but I seriously doubt I'd go for the Adelaide Sea Eagles.

t-ba

Post Whore
It's all over the place and barely coherent m2000.

You realise that Manly are the only team based in Northern Sydney Right? And that Northern Sydney has a population nearly as large as Adelaide's right?

We don't need Adelaide. Perth is a long term requirement, but until such a time that Melbourne can stand on its own two feet, there's no need for another money sink.

Billy Gunn

Juniors
It's all about TV rights - forget about everthing else.

The NRL will stay in Melbourne and continue to try and grow the game there so they can get TV rights in the three bigest markets in the country.

That is where the cash comes from - TV rights

BrisVegas

Juniors
There are 9 teams in the greater Sydney area, and I don't believe that all will be sustainable over the next 15 years, the area is far too over represented in a market place that is becoming more and more competitive with the AFL and A-League making strides. 7 years ago there were 12 teams in the greater Sydney area, in another 10-15 years I think 7 teams is a solid projection.

By about 2020 (3 TV deals time) I'd estimate the NRL to be an 18 team competition as thus:

North QLD
Brisbane
SE QLD/Sunshine Coast/Brisbane II (Possibly a relocated Sydney team)
Gold Coast
Central Coast (A relocated Sydney team)
Newcastle
Canberra
Sydney x7 (2 teams to relocate/joint-venture/go broke)
Melbourne
Perth
Auckland
Wellington

Ideally teams would play 17 games is the regular season, with all teams having a break for each Origin game, making a 20 week comp + 4 weeks of finals (still top 8). 24 is too many in terms of the physical strain on the players and it's hard to keep intrest over such a long season as losses don't mean as much. Each team would only host their opposition at home every second year allowing for greater hype of matches and bigger crowds, making games bigger local events.

David Gallop has said that the NRL will look at expansion proposals again in 2010 with an eye toward an 18 team comp, to coincide with the new TV deal to start in 2012. I would include Perth in 2012 and Wellington in 2013. The only way the CC will get a team is through relocation, NSW cannot justify another team being brought in afresh as it won't lead to marked increase in the NRL's no. 1 source of income, TV rights.

I believe Perth is more open to sports other than AFL then Melbourne/Adeliade - killing off the Reds was the worst mistake made in the aftermarth of the war.

A Wellington side would allow a home game within NZ almost every week and create a sense of competition with the Warriors. You need to only look at the number of Kiwi players in the NRL and Euro-Super League to realise the numbers are there for 2 NZ teams.

Another Brisbane/SE QLD team is a must within 10 years. By 2030 QLD will be the second largest state in Australia due to the increase of population in SE-QLD. The Broncos need an inter-city rival not only for the people of Brisbane whom dislike the Broncos to support, but so a game can be played out of Suncorp almost every week.

Snoop

Coach
music_2000 said:
A team needs to relocated to Perth NOW or sometime in the future to keep NRL interest in the western state. unless a new team can be formed the sharks played their earlier this year with positive results so they would be a good team to do so

Adeliade needs a team again too and I don't know who should move there but a likely team may be the eagles or the bulldogs.

Why all the relocations? Yes Perth needs a team and eventually Adelaide as well but why must it be relocated teams? The NRL has room to grow over time and unless a team is about to fold I see no reason to relocate it.

music_2000 said:
Ultimately I can see that the eels and panthers may eventually amalgamate. Souths may have to move to central coast too.

Why another amalgamation? That joint venture would be about as successful as the Northern Beagles.

music_2000 said:
Personally I think (as do others) there is no longer room for 4 codes of footy in Australia and I hope the NRL will the code that remains. thoughts?

How come there is suddenly no room for 4 footy codes? What size is this imaginary box we have to fit them in? Does your mum know you smoke weed?

t-ba

Post Whore
BrisVegas said:
North QLD
Brisbane
SE QLD/Sunshine Coast/Brisbane II (Possibly a relocated Sydney team)
Gold Coast
Central Coast (A relocated Sydney team)
Newcastle
Canberra
Sydney x7 (2 teams to relocate/joint-venture/go broke)
Melbourne
Perth
Auckland
Wellington

That's exactly how I would like to see it tbh. I don't see a problem with a 20 team comp though, as long as the money's there!

magpie_man

Juniors
a perth team would work well for the friday night double headers post 2006:

7:30 AEST - East Coast team v East Coast team.
9:30 AEST (7:30 Perth Time) - Perth v other team.

two games live.

music_2000

Juniors
t-ba said:
It's all over the place and barely coherent m2000.

You realise that Manly are the only team based in Northern Sydney Right? And that Northern Sydney has a population nearly as large as Adelaide's right?

We don't need Adelaide. Perth is a long term requirement, but until such a time that Melbourne can stand on its own two feet, there's no need for another money sink.

sorry I'm not saying Manly as such but a team, any team to move out to Adeliade

Azkatro

First Grade
NRL (14 team ANZ comp)

North QLD
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Central Coast
Newcastle
Sydney
West Sydney
Wollongong
Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth
Canberra
Auckland
Wellington

NSWRL Premier League (14 team Sydney comp)

Knights
Sea Eagles
Bears
Tigers
Magpies
Panthers
Eels
Jets
Roosters
Rabbitohs
Dragons
Steelers
Bulldogs
Raiders

Premier League would be well supported by Sydney, Newcastle & Canberra in the suburban grounds as it would maintain the local rivalries and interest. Grand final played as a curtain raiser to the NRL grand final at Homebush.. only thing stopping this from happening is Sydney's ego with regards to RL

gregstar

Referee
it's all nice & fuzzy to aim for a national comp - but for what?

the economic powerhouse of australia is the east coast. (more precisely sydney)
league is the winter code of choice in nsw & qld.

no need to race into a national comp again.

t-ba

Post Whore
music_2000 said:
sorry I'm not saying Manly as such but a team, any team to move out to Adeliade

No way imo. The Gold Coast and the Hunter will be as large or larger than Adelaide in a quarter of a century. It's not worth the trouble after the Rams debacle.

Perth, on the other hand, probably is, due to its large corporate sector and growing population.

NRL is king in 3 of Australia's 5 largest TV markets (NNSW > Adelaide). Just because the comp doesn't look as pretty on a map as the AFL or the A-League doesn't mean we are going to die out any time soon.

Azkatro

First Grade
gregstar said:
it's all nice & fuzzy to aim for a national comp - but for what?

the economic powerhouse of australia is the east coast. (more precisely sydney)
league is the winter code of choice in nsw & qld.

no need to race into a national comp again.
There's that Sydney ego ... "it's our game"

t-ba

Post Whore
Azkatro said:
Premier League would be well supported by Sydney, Newcastle & Canberra in the suburban grounds as it would maintain the local rivalries and interest. Grand final played as a curtain raiser to the NRL grand final at Homebush.. only thing stopping this from happening is Sydney's ego with regards to RL

Our Arrogance? I'm sorry we expanded the comp into a national entity! :roll:

Whether people like it or not, the core of any National Rugby League Comp has to be in Sydney's suburbs...and what's wrong with that? Sydney is one of the wealthiest cities on the planet FFS!

Alienate the fans here and the comp will lose an awful lot of its financial clout.

BrisVegas

Juniors
I just don't see the appeal of Adelaide. It is an absolute AFL stronghold, and its' population projection over the next 20-30 years is stagnate/negative. I don't see the market their for increasing the TV rights.

music_2000

Juniors
snoopster77 said:
How come there is suddenly no room for 4 footy codes? What size is this imaginary box we have to fit them in? Does your mum know you smoke weed?

this is not exactly a personal opinion, in fact I have just been chatting to people (online and offline) about the situation of sport as a whole. all I'm saying is that currently the NRL is running second to AFL and may continue to do so. Ever been to the website http://www.convictcreations.com ? check out the website authors view on australian sport. an absolute joke

t-ba

Post Whore
The Electric Horseman said:
I remember thinking in 1998 what a good idea Adelaide Tigers and Western Magpies (WA) would have been.

That ship, unfortunately, has sailed!

Azkatro

First Grade
t-ba said:
Our Arrogance? I'm sorry we expanded the comp into a national entity! :roll:

Whether people like it or not, the core of any National Rugby League Comp has to be in Sydney's suburbs...and what's wrong with that? Sydney is one of the wealthiest cities on the planet FFS!

Alienate the fans here and the comp will lose an awful lot of its financial clout.
Your head is in the sand. You talk like the only place RL talent will ever come from is QLD, NSW, NZ, England and maybe some of the pacific islands. Why would a young kid in Perth who could be the next Mal Meninga want to play RL if 10/15 teams are in NSW?