What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harawira-Naera and Okunbor suspended

If they developed a long term relationship I would still question the same power imbalances. Maybe that power imbalance would change over time, maybe not, but since the start of relationships usually set the tone for the long term nature of it, I don’t think the two are separable.

The other examples that you gave appear to have started without these issues.

yep - I think the key here is one is a well-known footballer while the other is an 18 year old girl going to school.

The examples I gave didn’t involve known footballers (although one was playing at the sharks in lower grades), visits to schools in an ambassador capacity, nor the media and fan scrutiny. So my examples aren’t as controversial.

I’d argue that it’s not impossible, and in many cases likely, that an 18 year old girl can be more emotionally mature than a 23 year old bloke. But no way of knowing that in this case.

Mostly we will judge the situation based on the simple categorisation of who the people are.. one a footballer and the other a school girl.

As for how it would be viewed I personally believe in 5 years time it would be viewed in a far far different light, and positively.. something Lara Pitt might do a couple interview about...

The issue I have is simply it’s just dumb dumb dumb what the player did here... while he didn’t break the law..He did break a policy of his club and employer. He was around during the previous off-season...

Simply ask yourself the question “if I bring back this girl to my hotel and the club/media knew about it, what is likely to happen?”...

And know that it’s likely the club and media will find out, especially if you leave a trail of crumbs like he did...

Dumb dumb dumb.

Haffa

rashays have just saved themselves 2mil in sponsorship cost, and have gotten more publicity than they would of being a sponsor for the dogs.

very smart business.
I'd never heard of them before. I just looked up where they are located in the Brisbane region and could see why they'd be a good fit for the Dogs.

Pommy

Coach
The

The fact is they didn’t meet on tinder, they didn’t meet in a club...

he met her whilst being an official visitor at a school and representing the bulldogs and NRL. All of these ‘what if’s’ are bloody pointless...

it’s like saying, “what if pommy had a moral compass and half a clue” it’s a irrelevant comment which clearly isn’t true.

my guess would be that the majority of those not seeing a problem with this are the same people that think it’s okay for a person to be raped depending on what they are wearing.

the daily telegraph has put out an article saying that Jayden will get the boot

Yeah you’ve clearly read half a conversation before you came out with this reply.

myrrh ken

First Grade
They're as bad as each other in my opinion.

The game looks bad because of both of them, the club looks bad because of both of them, they lost 2 mill sponsorship because of both of them.

I don't think CHN went to the clinic though so there might not be any school connection

Meth

Staff member
They're as bad as each other in my opinion.

The game looks bad because of both of them, the club looks bad because of both of them, they lost 2 mill sponsorship because of both of them.

I hear you, but I think Okunbor is decidedly worse. It is not a trivial thing if he met the girl at a school visit, whether the girl is of the age of consent or not.

adamkungl

Immortal
I hear you, but I think Okunbor is decidedly worse. It is not a trivial thing if he met the girl at a school visit, whether the girl is of the age of consent or not.

I would say it's the key issue, with the team ban on bringing women back being the second. The age is the least important issue here.

A 23-24 yr old hooking up with a legal-age high school girl he meets on tinder or at a bar or whatever - a lot of people will find that age/maturity gap kinda sleezy but there's not much to say if it wasn't in any official role or capacity.

Breaking team rules about conduct on tours is always grounds for disciple, adding sex and schools into the mix amplifies it significantly given the image the game is trying to project.

But hooking up with girls he literally met on an official visit to the school, and then chased up afterwards knowing full well that fact, is what pushes this into very bad territory. All the dumb hypotheticals of "what if they met in a bar" and "other people hook up with 17 and 18 year olds" are irrelevant, because the facts of this case are he met her in an official club role then deliberately pursued it afterwards. He's lucky that she's over 16, I doubt he bothered to check, and he's lucky that a footy visit probably isn't legally considered a position of power. But his professional football career will be rightfully over for a while.

AND if it turns out she sent him nudes which he asked for, the possibility suggested by this article, then he could be in far bigger trouble than NRL suspension.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...-images-snapchats-reveal-20200312-p549b4.html

Meth

Staff member
I would say it's the key issue, with the team ban on bringing women back being the second. The age is the least important issue here.

A 23-24 yr old hooking up with a legal-age high school girl he meets on tinder or at a bar or whatever - a lot of people will find that age/maturity gap kinda sleezy but there's not much to say if it wasn't in any official role or capacity.

Breaking team rules about conduct on tours is always grounds for disciple, adding sex and schools into the mix amplifies it significantly given the image the game is trying to project.

But hooking up with girls he literally met on an official visit to the school, and then chased up afterwards knowing full well that fact, is what pushes this into very bad territory. All the dumb hypotheticals of "what if they met in a bar" and "other people hook up with 17 and 18 year olds" are irrelevant, because the facts of this case are he met her in an official club role then deliberately pursued it afterwards. He's lucky that she's over 16, I doubt he bothered to check, and he's lucky that a footy visit probably isn't legally considered a position of power. But his professional football career will be rightfully over for a while.

AND if it turns out she sent him nudes which he asked for, the possibility suggested by this article, then he could be in far bigger trouble than NRL suspension.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...-images-snapchats-reveal-20200312-p549b4.html

Yes. But the breaking of team rules is a loooong way behind the key issue, hence why Okunbur is possibly in more trouble than CHN. If he doesn't meet this girl in a school, then it's a wrap over the knuckles and internal discipline, albeit with the possibility of some public outrage if it gets out there.

gUt

Coach
Much the same as the present case. People just can’t get their head around that some school girls are sexually active and if they’re of the legal age, it’s their prerogative.

Just like Carney they couldn’t get their head around him doing a silly prank.

It’s funny how sanctimonious people get when a footy player does something unsavory.

This may be true but it won't - and shouldn't - save their careers in this case. It's damaging to the code, the NRL/bulldogs brand in just about the worst possible way at the worst possible time. Argue the moral rightness of this all you like but it won't change a thing about it on the ground.

Vee

First Grade
I liked Turd's statement for a change. Leaving no doubtevery player IS a role model and the respect for women is at the heart of the NRL mantra.

Anyone else think the Dogs might cop a few raspberries from the crowd tonight?

I think it would play well if Andrew Hill said something like, "We don't accept this behavior as a club and I'm sure our fans will expect and support our stance" , putting the onus on fans to back and applaud the club's position.

Well, I assume no one expected them to 'smash' school girls they picked up on a school visit either. :rolleyes:

Ok mate , who would you rather bang tonight ? Some sexy over age chick who just happens to attend a School? Or a sick kid in a hospital ward, if you really have to think about that you have a problem