What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harawira-Naera and Okunbor suspended

dogslife

Coach
But it's not like Matt Lodge was just sacked by the Tigers, and then restarted with the Broncos the next year. He spent 1yr not playing, then 1yr with Redcliffe before being signed to the Broncos.

I'd expect the same sort of thing to happen with these guys. You can't let players do stupid stuff, and then welcome them back with open arms. That culture in Rugby League is changing for the better. Just some clubs are ahead of the curve in this department.
Don't think the moral police would allow it, it's young girls involved remember.

The same way Israel Folau will probably never play in Australia again.

blue bags

First Grade
Just received this....

Statement from Bulldogs Chief Executive Andrew Hill in regard to the standing down of Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera:

“Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor have been stood down by the Bulldogs after each was issued a show cause notice by the NRL as to why they shouldn’t face further disciplinary action for alleged breaches of the Game’s Code of Conduct.

Both players have been provisionally suspended by the NRL and neither player is available for selection for Thursday night’s NRL season opener against Parramatta.

The Bulldogs referred the matter to the NRL Integrity Unit after receiving concerning reports of alleged misconduct by the two players. The Club also initiated its own internal review.

While neither player is the subject of a criminal investigation, the Club is treating the matter very seriously. The allegations are that each player engaged in behaviour that represents a serious breach of the NRL Rules and the Bulldogs’ Code of Conduct, resulting in the NRL notice.

The Club supports the NRL’s decision to issue the breach notices and will continue to work with the NRL to conclude the process.

Both players have an opportunity to respond to the matters alleged in the breach notice before any final decision is made.”

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2020/03/10/statement-from-bulldogs-chief-executive-andrew-hill/

Seriously??? Two days away from the season and this happens SMH
Axed Canterbury winger Jayden Okunbor finally gets his chance to appeal the NRL’s decision to deregister him, reports The Daily Telegraph.

Okunbor will have a closed hearing on Tuesday in front of NRL appeals committee chief and former High Court judge Ian Callinan to discuss his fate, although a result isn’t expected for weeks.

Okunbor’s former teammate Corey Harawira-Naera is still yet to have a date set for his appeal.

Both Okunbor and Harawira-Naera had their contracts terminated by the Bulldogs and were suspended indefinitely by the NRL for allegedly bringing back school girls to the teams hotel during pre-season that has resulted in these court cases.

Even without a return date set yet for Harawira-Naera’s return to action, he is a wanted man after it was reported that a host of clubs have lined up and enquired interest in his services.

https://www.zerotackle.com/axed-bulldog-to-finally-appeal-his-nrl-suspension-56284/

aqua_duck

Coach
Even if he wins the appeal I don't envisage many clubs lining up to sign a fringe 1st grader in Okunbor after what he did

Pommy

Coach
Never in doubt. Theirs was a moral failing, not a criminal failing. Not even an allegation of drugs or any forced act. The girls were above the age of consent and willing. The players are morons but not monsters. And if we sacked every moron few clubs would be able to field a 17.

The younger guy asked for topless photos of a minor. That is a criminal offence as far as I’m aware.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The younger guy asked for topless photos of a minor. That is a criminal offence as far as I’m aware.
I am guessing that part was a media beat up or they at least didn't have proof of it. As the police never took it any further I can't imagine them using their discretion to miss out on an opportunity to nail an NRL player if they could.

blue bags

First Grade
Never in doubt. Theirs was a moral failing, not a criminal failing. Not even an allegation of drugs or any forced act. The girls were above the age of consent and willing. The players are morons but not monsters. And if we sacked every moron few clubs would be able to field a 17.
yes, but these 2 players knew the rules, by signing an NRL bulldogs contract, being trained, taught what was expected from there behavior , breach of contract, breach of trust, dragged the game through the mud , all because they were thinking with there little head, they both could be easily baited and set up . get more education, get smarter guys

Pommy

Coach
Was he charged with such a thing?
I am guessing that part was a media beat up or they at least didn't have proof of it. As the police never took it any further I can't imagine them using their discretion to miss out on an opportunity to nail an NRL player if they could.

By the same measure have they laid deformation charges against the media? Remember when they claimed Sam was sexting and then had to walk it back the next day?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha, Greenbergs gone but same sht different day. Rooting schoolgirls whilst on a school ambassador role doesnt get you sacked?