What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard decisions need to be made

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Objective One said:
Not your girlfriend it seems Willow. Don't know if this guy has an axe to grind. It's in the online version.

Thompson may be shown the door after walkout
By Brad Walter
October 13, 2005
She got a big boost when she helped to break the Oasis story and the Bulldogs rorting the salary cap. Since then, if there's anything remotely negative about league goining on, she will write about it and put a spin on it.

She has also been covering this Thompson vs Doust story for the SMH.

Same paper offcourse.

The implication is that Thompson is being sacked while Bickerstaff is being signed. They're two different stories.

Interesting to note that the Jacquelin Magnay also wrote a story, here, last month about player manager Greg Willet. The words 'money laundering'. 'crime figures' etc were uttered. The impression that dodgy deals were taking place. Sharks sponsor JLB Developments, who went belly up last month, were also involved.
The story implicated the Sharks and mentioned a number of NRL players in the same breath as the Bulldogs and Sharks CEOs... even innocent old Woolooware Primary School got a free plug. There was just enough there in the article for the casual reader to join the dots, without actually defaming anyone.

Unfortunately its far too complicated to get the hollywood treatment it deserved. Much better reporting on players doing push-ups in their undies. ;-)

Objective One

Juniors
Willow said:
The story implicated the Sharks and mentioned a number of NRL players in the same breath as the Bulldogs and Sharks CEOs... even innocent old Woolooware Primary School got a free plug. There was just enough there in the article for the casual reader to join the dots, without actually defaming anyone.

Think you are right to dump on the style but I don't think she actually did "implicate" the Sharks successfully if that was what she was trying to do. But I agree with your fundamental proposition that she is pushing a bandwagon that there's lots of dodgy deals/dealers around the somewhat dodgy game of RL.

Reality is that this seems to go on around lots of professional sports globally these days - alluring mix for the "intermediaries" of young people getting paid relatively significant money but not possessing the life/investment/common sense skills to make very good judgments on how to spend/invest it.

Best one liner that ALL the players should remember when it comes to their money is "there is no free lunch" - deals that sound too good to be true almost always are!!! Of course, it's not only sports people that fall for it.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
One thing that could be a conspiracy is Bronco's originally wanted Ennis and Ennis chose the Dragons. Bennett picks Creagh for Aussie team and Saints are over the cap which means Ennis can end up at the Bronco's. Bit suss to me.
Lockyer will be Fullback and Ennis the new 5/8 for the broncos. problem solved for them. Ennis will be an international in a year or so if he plays at the Bronco's with Bennett as head coach of the Aussies.

Would not be suprised to see Bronco's approach Thommo as well. Would rather Thommo than the old man Darren Smith in the back row.
Bickerstaff is a good player from memory.
Bennett will keep Hunt, Bott and Stagg as far away as possible from reps to keep their prices down.
Anderson did the same a few years ago to the Dragons, chose Gaz and Blacklock in the Aussie team which put their prices up and never played them just that 1 game against PNG. That then stuffed the Dragons chances of getting Kimmorley and Kimmorley signed for guess who? Anderson.

I am probably being paranoid and stupid but you never know. Bennett was in the "Saint's cant play" brigade.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Bennett's record in big games in the last 5 years speaks for itself - it's pathetic

He's lost SOO's and the Broncos have folded like a cheap suit in every semi series since 2001.

drake

First Grade
Slippery Morris said:
One thing that could be a conspiracy is Bronco's originally wanted Ennis and Ennis chose the Dragons. Bennett picks Creagh for Aussie team and Saints are over the cap which means Ennis can end up at the Bronco's. Bit suss to me.
Hey that's my conspiracy theory!

Latest posts