What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has a team ever forfeited?

Broomball#1

Juniors
Since Nathan Brown said that his Dragons should of stayed home and forfeited rather than play against the Warriors yesterday, it has got me thinking;

"Has any team in any major compettiton ever forfeited their match".

Be it first grade, ESL, PL, jersey flegg, sg ball, whatever. Interesting question I feel.

Glenn

First Grade
Weren't there some forfeits from the teams going to Super Leauge at the start of the ARL season.

CrazyEel

Bench
I think it was Balmain that once forfeited a grand final as protest of it being played as curtain raiser to a test match way back in the 1920's or thereabouts

JJ

Immortal
Except the Warriors I think, who didn't and so won because the Broncos did

wittyfan

Referee
Seven games have been forfeited, the Balmain vs. Souths grand final of 1909, and six of the opening round games of 1996.

Danish

Referee
The Balmain vs Souths "forfeit" was surely one of the biggest forfeits in ANY sport.

You wouldn't think there would be too many teams forfeiting the premiership game..... even if it was on the grounds of a supposed joint protest which Souths decided not to go through with.

RL1908

Bench
wittyfan said:
Seven games have been forfeited, the Balmain vs. Souths grand final of 1909, and six of the opening round games of 1996.

I think to be absolutely accurate, the total number is 6 - one of the 1996 Rd 1 games was between two Super League clubs (Canterbury v North Queensland) - so that game was cancelled, rather than a forfeit.

RL1908

Bench
Danish said:
The Balmain vs Souths "forfeit" was surely one of the biggest forfeits in ANY sport.

You wouldn't think there would be too many teams forfeiting the premiership game..... even if it was on the grounds of a supposed joint protest which Souths decided not to go through with.

It wasn't an all or nothing match - even in Balmain had won, it would not have won them the premiership - it would have triggered a second Final - in effect Balmain had to beat Souths twice - given Souths had only lost two games in the League's first two seasons, it was unlikely.

The "Balmainiacs" had other things on their mind:
http://www.RL1908.com/articles/balmain-1909.htm

yobbo84

Coach
RL1908 said:
It wasn't an all or nothing match - even in Balmain had won, it would not have won them the premiership - it would have triggered a second Final - in effect Balmain had to beat Souths twice - given Souths had only lost two games in the League's first two seasons, it was unlikely.

The "Balmainiacs" had other things on their mind:
http://www.RL1908.com/articles/balmain-1909.htm

They got their own back 60 years later anyway.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Round 1, 1996:

Illawarra 8 Wests 17
Wollongong Fri,22-Mar-1996 K.Jeffes 9744

Gold Coast 26 Norths 42
Carrara Sat,23-Mar-1996 T.Maksoud 8291

Sydney City 38 Sydney Tigers 10
S.F.S. Sat,23-Mar-1996 E.Ward 5631

Manly 44 Souths 6
Brookvale Sun,24-Mar-1996 D.Manson 6532

Canberra forfeited to South Queensland
Brisbane forfeited to Auckland
Penrith forfeited to Parramatta
Cronulla forfeited to Newcastle
Western Reds forfeited to St George
Canterbury v North Queensland cancelled

Information courtesy http://stats.rleague.com

JJ

Immortal
Dodger said:
Round 1, 1996:

Illawarra 8 Wests 17
Wollongong Fri,22-Mar-1996 K.Jeffes 9744

Gold Coast 26 Norths 42
Carrara Sat,23-Mar-1996 T.Maksoud 8291

Sydney City 38 Sydney Tigers 10
S.F.S. Sat,23-Mar-1996 E.Ward 5631

Manly 44 Souths 6
Brookvale Sun,24-Mar-1996 D.Manson 6532

Canberra forfeited to South Queensland
Brisbane forfeited to Auckland
Penrith forfeited to Parramatta
Cronulla forfeited to Newcastle
Western Reds forfeited to St George
Canterbury v North Queensland cancelled

Information courtesy http://stats.rleague.com

Funny that one Super League Club, the Warriors, didn't forfeit

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They hadn't defected yet IIRC. Would've been cancelled like the 'Dogs/Cows game though.

super_coach

First Grade
Every time steve clarke refs the tigers I imagine a walk off--I think north sydney did a walk off at bear park,but went back on------not to sure many years ago--maybe 70s

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Dodger said:
They hadn't defected yet IIRC. Would've been cancelled like the 'Dogs/Cows game though.

I think they had defected by then but named a third string team of no names by the ARL due date for team listings because they knew the Broncos would forfeit and they'd pick up the points. I could be wrong, it was over ten years ago, but that sounds familiar to me. Sneaky if true.

JJ

Immortal
Dodger said:
They hadn't defected yet IIRC.

You might be right, but I thought they had - because there was the whole stink about Ridge signing for SUperLeage and going to the Warriors... but a bit hazy

JoeD

First Grade
Forfeiting should have a F/A penalty as well. Say the last game of the regular season was to be played, 8 v 9 and the only way for 8 to drop out was to lose by more than 4 points. Forfeiting with no F/A penalty would be the smart thing to do for team 8.

Latest posts