What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Campo re-signed?

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I just noticed on another forum that said he hasnt re-signed as of yet..

Is it true? also if its true, what are the chances that he will sign with us?

thickos

First Grade
According to raiders.com.au he is off-contract this season, and no mention has been made in the media at any stage about his contract negotiations.

brenno

Juniors
You would like to think that he is resigned. He is the most 1st grade ready out of all the Raiders prospects. I thought he was off-contract next season?

edabomb

First Grade
I think he has been decidedly average in first grade. Based on his performances this season I wouldn't make him a very high priority.

brenno

Juniors
edabomb said:
I think he has been decidedly average in first grade. Based on his performances this season I wouldn't make him a very high priority.

an 20yr old five eigths/locks with his size and kicking skills grow on trees? Turn it up Ed!

edabomb

First Grade
brenno said:
an 20yr old five eigths/locks with his size and kicking skills grow on trees? Turn it up Ed!

Well, like I said I haven't seen him in reserves or anything. But hes a liability at the moment out there in firsts. He absolutely goes missing in the opposition 20, when he does get involved he invariably kicks the ball over the dead ball line. I know we don't have many options at half, but I'd prefer to see Carney in the number 6 over him.

It is true he doesn't have much to work with in our outside backs also. But if I was judging his season on first grade form I'd give him a D-

Mal Meninga

Bench
His long kicking game is very solid, but mid-field bomb's and in-goal grubbers are appaling. Funny how we all(well most..) balked at the idea of either signing Fien or Thurston, yet they'd probably fix our halves problem, at the present and future.

Timbo

Staff member
I'm forced to agree with Ed here.

Carney and Campese both get A+'s for effort and potential, but D's for performance.

brenno

Juniors
C+ for Campese and C- for Carney. Can't understand why you some of you guys consider them as failures already. They haven't looked completely out of depth in 1sts. Carney struggled but, he still didn't look as though he should never have been picked in 1st grade. I think Camp has handled it better perhaps because he is abit older. I'm willing to be patient with them considering their age and also there not playing behind a dominant foward. Some of you guys seem to forget that the reason why players like Fittler, Lockeyer etc were able to burst onto the scene so quickly and so young was mainly due to the fact that they had the privilege of playing behind dominant foward packs. Penrith were force back in 91 while Brisbane in the mid nineties were awesome.

ausraider

Juniors
brenno said:
C+ for Campese and C- for Carney. Can't understand why you some of you guys consider them as failures already. They haven't looked completely out of depth in 1sts. Carney struggled but, he still didn't look as though he should never have been picked in 1st grade. I think Camp has handled it better perhaps because he is abit older. I'm willing to be patient with them considering their age and also there not playing behind a dominant foward. Some of you guys seem to forget that the reason why players like Fittler, Lockeyer etc were able to burst onto the scene so quickly and so young was mainly due to the fact that they had the privilege of playing behind dominant foward packs. Penrith were force back in 91 while Brisbane in the mid nineties were awesome.

I disagree little bit, our forwards have not been dominated copletely in any games this year.They make the metres,they get us in the opposition danger zone but we lack direction from there.I know comparing Campo and Carney to Lozza,Fittler and co is bit harsh but at their tender ages of 18-19 we all could see superstar in the making.I think Campo and Carney will be but so far the signs are not like the above mentioned.They neeed I hope not but from what I see another year or two.We haven't had a senior team in the GF for 10 years and it will be 11 th this year.Being a successful club of the late 80's and early 90's I know Iam and many of you out there want something soon.You can only say next year for so long and I think it's long enough.

Chachi

Bench
Daley, Fittler and Lockyer started in the centres/fullback - arguably much easier positions to handle than in the halves when starting a FG career. And the teams they started with were already filled with superstars - particularly at halfback.

Neither Campo or Carney have set the world on fire but Campo has particularly shown his defence and long range kicking game is definitely up to standard. His short range kicking game and decision making under pressure need a bit of work and time though. Carney just needs more time - and probably an opportunity to come into a winning team playing with more confidence.

ausraider

Juniors
Chachi said:
Daley, Fittler and Lockyer started in the centres/fullback - arguably much easier positions to handle than in the halves when starting a FG career. And the teams they started with were already filled with superstars - particularly at halfback.

Neither Campo or Carney have set the world on fire but Campo has particularly shown his defence and long range kicking game is definitely up to standard. His short range kicking game and decision making under pressure need a bit of work and time though. Carney just needs more time - and probably an opportunity to come into a winning team playing with more confidence.

Totally agree mate.As I said earlier Carney needs some good game time with team winning.If T Smith from Parra can do it,so can Carney cos I think he is better than Smith.Carney only needs 1 good game an dhis confidence will grow.

woodgers

Bench
I think Campo will stay on. He is a local kid from Queanbeyan and likes it here from what I have heard.

Chachi

Bench
For all you guys who haven't seen much of Campo or Carney other than the games they've played on TV...be patient. If they're still performing at the same level in 2007 then we've got problems - but I can't see that happening.

I think Campese has the same skills, size and ability as Jason Smith - he just needs the experience, which aint gonna come overnight. We have to sign him as a priority.

Likewise, I think it'll be 12-18 months to go for Carney to be ready to run a FG team. He'll be 20 then and I agree with everyone who thinks that he will well and truely measure up against what we're seeing from any other 20 year old running around today (like Tim Smith).

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Someone with a natural super boot like Campo is hard to find. He's play making ability is a little scratchy but he's only young and that will develop with time. I'd like to see him attack the line more often (ala Shaun Timmins and Trent Barett) and use his size as an assett. I thought that 40/20 on the weekend was very impressive.

Latest posts