What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the Sleeping Giant Finally Awoken?

Has the Sleeping Giant Finally Awoken?

• Yes

Votes: 66 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 72 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deacon

First Grade
Thats the question all Rugby League, AFL and Rugby Union fans in Australia will by asking after tonights World Cup qualifier (inwhich we've qualified for).
FIFA automatically gives $8 million dollars to Australian Soccer for qualifying and im sure many more sponsors will now jump onboard. So the question i'm putting to you, fellow LU posters is this the boost soccer in this country has needed to make it successful in this country, should be an interesting topic, thoughts....................

Alex28

Coach
It will never get in front of the Big 3. We still have a weak league where our top players don't play in it. We have nothing solid to follow week after week like in League and AFL, and we play bugger all international games back here.

RABK

Referee
We could learn alot from the atmosphere out there tonight, though i'm willing to bet that a soccer international in Rugby League's capital city played at the home of Rugby League was attended by quite a few thousand League diehards....time to transfer some of that atmosphere to NRL games.

choc_soldier

Coach
It will give the A-League a massive boost, but we need more than making a world cup for the "sleeping giant" to be awoken - but it's a start. This level needs to be sustained for a few years yet before any major tangible success is felt, I believe.

melon....

Coach
The funny thing is Soccer is the code with the largest junior participation in the country. If it wasnt for the ethnic greedy pricks destroying the game here, we would be in the top 20 countries in the world, not 200th.

And before one of you politically correct f**kwits gets on my case, I am one of those ethnics, just not the greedy prix.

Raider Azz

Bench
melon.... said:
The funny thing is Soccer is the code with the largest junior participation in the country. If it wasnt for the ethnic greedy pricks destroying the game here, we would be in the top 20 countries in the world, not 200th.

And before one of you politically correct f**kwits gets on my case, I am one of those ethnics, just not the greedy prix.
the problem is that australia isnt giving them caps early enough. if you were italian/australian had yet to play for australia and all of a sudden italy jumps in and wants you to play in the world cup you'd be crazy to turn it down.

girvie

Staff member
I think that from now on Australia will make the World Cup more often than not because we will be in Asia playing against Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and China who are a level below Uruguay. It will be a big threat to Rugby League in some areas.

OVP

Coach
melon.... said:

150% agree. Thankyou Guus, but really we should never have been in any doubt. Too many self-interested pricks out there.

Will it hurt LEague ? No, not at all. ONly the spastics from TFC cant see how good this will be for Australia.

And quite frankly, id take their insular opinion with a grain of salt.

markstan

Juniors
Soccer posses no threat at all to the other codes Australia wont do anything at the world cup and as soon as people realise we aren't good they will be deserted. It's an ok building block but people aren't going to warm to it once the fad factor wears off. Lets not forget that all generations haven't been brought up on soccer watching no playing yes. So long as rugby League continue's like this year, they have no problems. In fact a soccer fad is possibly just what NRL, AFL, might want, Because it's the type of thing that can potentially backfire. A good couple of months or a year then whamo reality sets in and the finances hit home.

camsmith

Juniors
If it is going to hurt anyone, it will be Union and super14, they way the Wallabies are playing atm is awful super12 (14) is crappy as and Soccer is a huge threat to it, AFL and NRL are safe.

King Tigerman

Juniors
melon.... said:

australias in the top 50 arent they

another scary thing is 1 of john safrans mischievious plans actually worked

OVP

Coach
King Tigerman said:

another scary thing is 1 of john safrans mischievious plans actually worked

hahah yeah how good was that ?

Well done Mr Safran :)

Mad Dogg

Juniors
King Tigerman said:
#45 I believe, and we're only that low because we play less games than most other countries. The quality of our team should see us in the top 30 easily, and probably pushing for top 20.

Tommy Smith

Referee
It is potentially a threat. Mainly in regards to junior playing numbers. The momentum gained from this will be huge. It will positively impact upon the A-League which will carry through to the world cup which will then carry through to all the Asian group qualifers and so on.

Football is a global sport. It has huge appeal whereas league and AFL are, lets face it, park sports in comparison. So if the kids continue to stick with football past the junior years then it can only be a good thing for football in this country.

Latest posts