What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the Sleeping Giant Finally Awoken?

Has the Sleeping Giant Finally Awoken?

• Yes

Votes: 66 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 72 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

innsaneink

Referee
Garts said:
not hard to tackle at a Junior level imo, I dont believe too much coaching is needed. I changed from soccer at that age and never had a issue.

Do you think every kid would be like you? Are there players in your team that dont/cant tackle properly?

If you havent been coached properly in defence, thats when they get hurt.

I think of all the young kids running round less that a 1/4 tackle properly, most are scared to go low, rough estimate of what I see anyway.

Provided they want to play, its easier to teach kids defense when theyre younger, when their oppositions are smallest and slowest.

melon....

Coach
innsaneink said:
You better hope they get a good defensive coach then.

I find in the main, though not all, kids that start in league later on find it difficult to go in hard and properly in defense.

You'll be lucky to find an U 12's coach that wants to teach tackling from scratch.
Well I hope my kids take after their old man. I gave up soccer at 13 and made the switch to league at 14...no problem. The thing I found easier with league was you could see the tacklers coming in most cases, so you were ready. In soccer, its 50/50, and that was more unnerving than 2 forwards running at me head on.

Its funny how many league players were freaked out because I could kick equally well with both feet. In soccer you hardly blink at that, because thats one of the fundamentals of the game. Hence its called football.

I love League. Its my fave sport. But I also think soccer can provide very good skills that compliment a league player. Balance and the dexterity are 2. And if you think getting cracked across the shins from behind when you are flying doesnt hurt, then you dont really know.

As far as league tackling goes...that again, like soccer is a technique that can learnt at any age. There are plenty of Soccer players with huge tickers, so teh heart issue doesnt even come into play.

gregstar

Referee
michael o'connor played soccer as a youngster & said it helped him as a leaguie.

craig young switched to soccer from league at a relatively old age.

innsaneink

Referee
gregstar said:
michael o'connor played soccer as a youngster & said it helped him as a leaguie.

craig young switched to soccer from league at a relatively old age.

Two exceptionally talented individuals.

Melon, for your kids sake, I hope they dont turn out like you.

Too many here dismiss defense as something secondary and easy to learn....its not, not if you wanna learn properly.
75- 80% of kids not tackling properly every week seems to support this.

Surandy

Bench
gaterooze said:
Back to the original question, has the sleeping giant finally awoken in Australia?

We'll let the facts speak for themselves...

The 1st week after the Socceroos win, 3 out of 4 A-League games posted crowds below their average this year. QLD had its worst home crowd for the year.

2nd week after the Socceroos win, both A-League games so far have posted their club's lowest crowds of the year -- 7,921 for Perth and 5,163 for Central Coast.

Oh my...

And thus the wet dream of soccer wankers comes crashing down after less than two weeks! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

melon....

Coach
innsaneink said:
Two exceptionally talented individuals.

Melon, for your kids sake, I hope they dont turn out like you.

Too many here dismiss defense as something secondary and easy to learn....its not, not if you wanna learn properly.
75- 80% of kids not tackling properly every week seems to support this.
Nobody is saying defence is easy to learn. What Im saying is Soccer players are not immune from learning it. League players arent born with teh ability either...its coached into them, and soccer players are capable of having it coached into them, Im living proof as are many converts.

I cant understand why people here are stressing out over teh Socceroos success? And why are you carrying on like Soccer is a threat...it isnt!

Garts

Bench
innsaneink said:
Do you think every kid would be like you? Are there players in your team that dont/cant tackle properly?

If you havent been coached properly in defence, thats when they get hurt.

I think of all the young kids running round less that a 1/4 tackle properly, most are scared to go low, rough estimate of what I see anyway.

Provided they want to play, its easier to teach kids defense when theyre younger, when their oppositions are smallest and slowest.

true, I guess I just had a natural ability;-) too bad that was all I was really good at.

Surandy

Bench
Great crowd over in New Zealand tonight for their match against the Melbourne Victory, who actually had a rare victory.

1,922 :lol: :lol: :lol:

gaterooze

Bench
Well then... since the Socceroos match, that's 4 teams who have had their lowest crowd this year.

The sleeping giant's already gone back to sleep.

ali

Bench
gaterooze said:
Well then... since the Socceroos match, that's 4 teams who have had their lowest crowd this year.

The sleeping giant's already gone back to sleep.

For mine it's still a fabricated league, so I find it hard to get too excited. Though it will be interesting to see how Sydney FC goes in this World Club thing next month. The A League will grow off the back off this Asian Champions League that the top 2 qualify for. However in the short term I expect it to be the weak link. The Socceroos will be the strong link, and will be a great rival to the Wallabies.

As for trolling soccer forums, that's pathetic. From these threads, it's pretty obvious that many soccer fans follow RL. So pissing them off in the name of Rugby League is a pretty stupid idea.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Dogaholic said:
There was no need to post anything with any substance because your post was that pathetic.

You claimed that all a player needs to do in soccer is to beat one man, the goal keeper.

It would be just like me saying that all anyone needs to do in Football is to get past the fullback, which in itself would be a pathetic claim.

Which code of football? Does gaelic football even have a fullback?

BTW, I never claimed that all a player needs to do in soccer is to beat one man, the goal keeper.
. More misonformation from soccer trolls. Please try harder - if you can't at least stick to an line of thought you'll never be able to find Germany!

Dogaholic

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Which code of football? Does gaelic football even have a fullback?

BTW, I never claimed that all a player needs to do in soccer is to beat one man, the goal keeper.

. More misonformation from soccer trolls. Please try harder - if you can't at least stick to an line of thought you'll never be able to find Germany!

By football I mean Rugby League, aint that right EA ;-)

Yes you did. What does the following suggest?
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=1994650&postcount=186http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/images/buttons/report.gif

Time for you to stop spinning sh*t!

Latest posts