What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has there ever been a more important 3 minutes?

yobbo84

Coach
So it's Round 7. Souths are sitting at 4-2 and comfortably in the Top 8. In the 77th minute of our match against the Warriors, it's South Sydney 16 - Warriors 8. Game's in the bag you'd think. But a couple of flashes of brilliance from the Warriors and stupidity from Souths, and bang, game's over, Warriors win 18-16. What the hell happened? "We'll learn from this", J.T. says afterwards.

Fast forward 13 weeks, and that solitary game is still what separates the 2 clubs (plus for-and-against but let's not complicate things).

The Warriors are sitting in 4th spot, life's good, semi's here-we-come. Souths are sitting in 9th spot, now hoping to win the majority of their games plus hope one of the teams fails to make this year an historic one for the once struggling club.

Had Souths not had a brain fart and remembered how to tackle for 180 more seconds, the Warriors would not be in 4th, but 9th. The Rabbitohs would then be in 7th position.

So I ask you, has there ever been a more important 3 minutes of regular season football in the context of the competition?!

P.S. I think it's safe to say every Souths' supporter has known in the back of their minds that this game would come back and bite us on the arse.

tiger_nick

Bench
Should of, would of, could of, didn’t.

Every team can say that about numerous games. If Jason Moodie hadn’t tried a blind flickpass against the cowboys when we were up by 12 with 8 to go for the cowboys to intercept and a score a length of the field try. Then score again 2 minutes later, then kick a field goal 2 more minutes later, we would be in fourth spot.

lockyno1

Post Whore
every side has lost a game it should have won. Brisbane lost against the Panthers at Suncorp, Knights a couple of weeks ago..you are not alone!

stevie013

Juniors
i agree with nick.....should of, could of, didnt.

i wont talk about the sharks. the team is in charge of their own destiny, if they stuff it, it is their fault.

boo hoo, 3 minutes....that is why this comp is so close, teams that play for 80 minutes get their due rewards, teams that dont, well they dont go anywhere.

yobbo84

Coach
lockyno1 said:
every side has lost a game it should have won. Brisbane lost against the Panthers at Suncorp, Knights a couple of weeks ago..you are not alone!

No sh*t Shirlock. But has the result of just one of these games influenced the position on the ladder of one team more than the Warriors?

lockyno1

Post Whore
yobbo84 said:
No sh*t Shirlock. But has the result of just one of these games influenced the position on the ladder of one team more than the Warriors?

Not really, Warriors are playing like a top 4 side and desrve to be there. In fact they are probally the form team in the comp! The results of EVERY game influences positions on the ladder, whether you lose by 2 points or 50 points.

yobbo84

Coach
lockyno1 said:
Not really, Warriors are playing like a top 4 side and desrve to be there. In fact they are probally the form team in the comp! The results of EVERY game influences positions on the ladder, whether you lose by 2 points or 50 points.

You have no clue. How is anything you are saying at all relevant to this thread?

ByRd

First Grade
Bulldog fans are still in pain when ever they think about Mcilwain dropping that ball against the Knights in round 1.... GRRRRRRRRR

lockyno1

Post Whore
yobbo84 said:
You have no clue. How is anything you are saying at all relevant to this thread?

You are saying that SINGLE game has cost your season..um this comp rewards teams that are consistent. Every side, every year will lose a game or two they should have won, but guess what at the end you find out the most consistent side and they are the premiers.

yobbo84

Coach
lockyno1 said:
You are saying that SINGLE game has cost your season..um this comp rewards teams that are consistent. Every side, every year will lose a game or two they should have won, but guess what at the end you find out the most consistent side and they are the premiers.

No, I am saying that 3 minutes could potentially cost Souths' their season. As for your "the most consistent side are the premiers" remark, I won't even comment.

lockyno1

Post Whore
yobbo84 said:
No, I am saying that 3 minutes could potentially cost Souths' their season. As for your "the most consistent side are the premiers" remark, I won't even comment.

Guess what..if you are good enough a side will make the 8 anyway. You don't see me going off my head due to that Penrith game do you? It is footy, you win some you shouldn't win, you lose some you shouldn't lose.

As for the premiers 90% of the time the most consistent side wins the comp, I'd say that is a fair statement!

RufusRex

Post Whore
not to me ...

Friday night and the raiders last three minutes ... Had $25 on a roosters head to head raiders -7.5 combo .. would have paid $250 ... Raiders concede two tries in the last 3 minutes to win by 4 ... I was just a little bit pissed off with that

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Did Melbourne win last year?

Were Brisbane consistent last year?

Timmah

Staff member
The Roosters were the most consistent in 2004.

The Tigers were close to last halfway through 2005.

You're going back to Penrith in 2003 and even then they were neck and neck with the Roosters.

lockyno1

Post Whore
And all were deserving premiers- they were CONSISTENT when it counted. If you don't make the 8..and it aint hard as you only have to win all your home games as there is a big game between 2nd and 15th. One game should not make or break a season, if it does you are not good enough, simple.

Timmah

Staff member
:|

Consistent means the best team performing at the same standard all season you moron.

No team since pretty much Penrith has displayed that. Even the 'Dogs had a lean period in 2004.

This thread makes me laugh. Try being a Raiders fan.

At least you Souths fans weren't absolutely screwed over 3 weeks in a row by video ref decisions which decided each of those games. That's 6 f*ckin points that SHOULD BE OURS. We should be in the top f*ckin four. (The video ref even tried to screw us Vs Penrith last week by denying us 2 fair tries, and giving them 1 bullsh*t one, but we still won)

You Rabbitohs don't deserve to be in the top 8, because you're simply not good enough. You f*cked up against the Warriors. Your fault. Allthough you would be there if we weren't shafted against the Cowboys in particular.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Bobby DIGital said:
This thread makes me laugh.

At least you Souths fans weren't absolutely screwed over 3 weeks in a row by video ref decisions which decided each of those games. That's 6 f*ckin points that SHOULD BE OURS. We should be in the top f*ckin four. (The video ref even tried to screw us Vs Penrith last week by denying us 2 fair tries, and giving them 1 bullsh*t one, but we still won)

You Rabbitohs don't deserve to be in the top 8, because you're simply not good enough. You f*cked up against the Warriors. Your fault. Allthough you would be there if we weren't shafted against the Cowboys in particular.

So Dragons deserve to be in the top 8?