What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal

Avenger

Immortal
He's not alone, Tim Paine is another. I mean, there was a time when the Australian cricket captain was revered as the sporting equivalent of the PM. There are others.
The Tim Paine thing is between two consenting adults. Yes I get it was immoral because he is married but FFS it’s been blown (pardon the pun) out of proportion.

Eelogical

Referee
The Tim Paine thing is between two consenting adults. Yes I get it was immoral because he is married but FFS it’s been blown (pardon the pun) out of proportion.
Paine's fall from grace is more of a cliff fall rather than a slippery slope. For me, it's all about being responsible for one's actions, regardless of whether one is a public figure or not. However, being sportspersons, Paine, Hayne and others like them couldn't help themselves from doing something controversial when fame came knocking. What message does this send to young fans coming through? It shows to me that if people are acceptable of their sporting heroes dropping their standards then that sets the new standard. Too bad that a lot of people who excel at sport aren't that bright once they get off the field.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Paine's fall from grace is more of a cliff fall rather than a slippery slope. For me, it's all about being responsible for one's actions, regardless of whether one is a public figure or not. However, being sportspersons, Paine, Hayne and others like them couldn't help themselves from doing something controversial when fame came knocking. What message does this send to young fans coming through? It shows to me that if people are acceptable of their sporting heroes dropping their standards then that sets the new standard. Too bad that a lot of people who excel at sport aren't that bright once they get off the field.
I think you nailed it in your last sentence.

Most sports stars are dopey merkins. I think it’s unrealistic to expect them not to make stupid decisions. I’d prefer that we collectively drop the bullshit idea that they are interesting human beings off the field or role models even.

Chipmunk

Coach
The biggest rise and fall in Australian sport.
Ben Cousins was bigger. The Plane really just made a silly drunken mistake (yes, albeit as has now been found illegal).

Cousins fall is completely next level. If you have got 3 hours spare, check out the Crimes in Sport Podcast episode on Ben Cousins (they also do one on Todd Carney).

the phantom menace

First Grade
From the newspaper reports Hayne's grounds for acquittal or retrial seem quite... poor?

I saw extend his sentence, and strip his Dally M medals.

Gronk

Staff member
Far out, imagine having to go to trial for a third time.

His lawyer would be pretty stoked, absorbing what is left of Jarryd’s assets I guess.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Painful because like the rest of you, Hayne was my favourite player until about 2013. He's still the best I've ever seen play. You have to wonder how someone can be so good and his team consistently poor. I also used to wonder why he never played for any strong clubs. In the end there was only one logical conclusion.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Ben Cousins was bigger. The Plane really just made a silly drunken mistake (yes, albeit as has now been found illegal).

Cousins fall is completely next level. If you have got 3 hours spare, check out the Crimes in Sport Podcast episode on Ben Cousins (they also do one on Todd Carney).

All these are fails, but the most interesting fall I have witnessed is Todd marinovich. His story from birth is somewhat amazing, and the pressures and expectations eventually destroyed him. I recommend people watch his story on espn 30 for 30.

also Ryan leafs story is quite amazing also, but his fall was mainly due to arrogance. But still interesting to see how people respond when there whole life’s they have been told they are the best and have never experienced failure

84 Baby

Referee
All these are fails, but the most interesting fall I have witnessed is Todd marinovich. His story from birth is somewhat amazing, and the pressures and expectations eventually destroyed him. I recommend people watch his story on espn 30 for 30.

also Ryan leafs story is quite amazing also, but his fall was mainly due to arrogance. But still interesting to see how people respond when there whole life’s they have been told they are the best and have never experienced failure
My favourite 30 for 30 is Deion’s Double Play. Why don’t more players just be more like Prime Time?