What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne eyes move after Penrith humiliation

yy_cheng

Coach
Jarryd Hayne will approach Ricky Stuart about a potential move to five-eighth a day after the coach dumped two senior players and named three debutants, including Frank Pritchard's brother, Kaysa.
Hayne, who described Monday night's humiliating loss to Penrith as the lowest point for the club for the past five years, admits he's been thinking about making the switch to five-eighth and will sit down with Stuart to talk about the change.
Half of them were Windsor Wolves players. For us to play the way we did, it was terrible.

In 2011, Stuart - the then NSW Origin coach - did not pick Hayne at fullback for the Blues because he believed the 25-year-old was best suited to five-eighth.

"The last five years have been awful. That was clear cut last night. No one player is going to turn it around": Jarryd Hayne. Photo: Brendan Esposito
With the Eels slumping to their fifth loss of the season, Hayne is giving serious thought to the idea of another stint wearing the No.6 jersey. ''I'm thinking about it,'' he said. ''It's something me and Sticky will have to discuss and see what he thinks. He obviously has the last call on it all. I'd love to play fullback as long as I can but if [five-eighth] is what best suits the team then I will do that.''
Advertisement
Stuart has dumped Ben Roberts and Ben Smith back to Wentworthville, calling up Api Pewhairangi to play in the centres, as well as Peni Terepo and Pritchard on the bench.
The pint-sized Pritchard, 18, is a complete contrast to his older brother, weighing in at 84 kilograms and 170 centimetres in height.
The Eels have a high opinion of the crafty dummy-half, who has been called in to replace the dumped Roberts as Matt Keating's back-up.
Given the recent history of the success-starved club, Hayne's summation of the 44-12 defeat at the hands of a second-string Panthers side is a new low for the Eels.
It was not the embarrassing scoreline or the fact they left Centrebet Stadium without the two competition points, it was the calibre of the football team they so easily rolled over against that has frustrated their co-captain the most.
''The last five years have been awful,'' Hayne said. ''That was clear cut last night. No one player is going to turn it around. It wasn't the scoreline, it wasn't the loss, it was the players they had.
''Half of them were Windsor Wolves players. For us to play the way we did, it was terrible … it's just not good enough. I really don't know what to make of the whole thing.
''Just with the players they had, we definitely had the talent and the experience last night, we had everything. For our team to have that, given we are inexperienced and have little depth, to have that on a team and especially in a rivalry against Penrith, to play like we did was nothing short of embarrassing.''
Hayne was at a loss to explain what went wrong at the foot of the mountains on Monday night.
As far as the future is concerned, he is all out of answers: ''I'm not sure what to do,'' Hayne said. ''The last five years have been awful. That was clear cut last night. No one player is going to turn it around. The whole 17 need to do it.'

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...humiliation-20130430-2iq3b.html#ixzz2Rxe5LUMu

yy_cheng

Coach
Finally Kelly at 9 and get rid of MK

BTW, when is Tonga back?

1. Mullaney
2. Tautai
3. Morgan
4. Tonga
5. Sio
6. Hayne
7. Sandow
8. Fui
9. Kelly
10. Mannah (if fit)
11. Loko
12. Kelepi
13. Matua

14. Pritchard (might change after his debut)
15. Allgood
16. Lussick
17. Peni Terepo (might change after his debut)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the big problem I have is that Sandow doesn't lead the team around the park, neither does Hayne

having both those guys in the halves we would be like a ship without a rudder

atm we are relying on Kelly and MK so we need to address that and leave Hayne at FB for now

84 Baby

Referee
''The last five years have been awful,'' Hayne said. ''That was clear cut last night. No one player is going to turn it around. It wasn't the scoreline, it wasn't the loss, it was the players they had.
''Half of them were Windsor Wolves players. For us to play the way we did, it was terrible ? it's just not good enough. I really don't know what to make of the whole thing.
''Just with the players they had, we definitely had the talent and the experience last night, we had everything. For our team to have that, given we are inexperienced and have little depth, to have that on a team and especially in a rivalry against Penrith, to play like we did was nothing short of embarrassing.''
TBH this is another issue with our club attitude and coming from a captain and superstar no less. It could have been St Mary's U9s, Melbourne, Cumberland Hospital Psych Team or Warriors, playing like that is unacceptable against anyone, had nothing to do with the players on the other side of the park

strider

Post Whore
maybe we just need to learn from Penrith - that giving Windsor Wolves/Wenty Magpies players a chance might actually bring in some enthusiasm ..... then again we'd probably fail at that too

the big problem I have is that Sandow doesn't lead the team around the park, neither does Hayne

atm we are relying on Kelly and MK so we need to address that and leave Hayne at FB for now

putting hayne at 6 also puts him closer to the refs at fullback he has a minute to cool down as he walks up to them

TBH this is another issue with our club attitude and coming from a captain and superstar no less. It could have been St Mary's U9s, Melbourne, Cumberland Hospital Psych Team or Warriors, playing like that is unacceptable against anyone, had nothing to do with the players on the other side of the park

i think what he meant was that playing against a second string side like that made our performance even worse

84 Baby

Referee
i think what he meant was that playing against a second string side like that made our performance even worse
So they and we should feel better if they trotted out the same ineptitude against NQ this week because NQ are better than Penrith?

yy_cheng

Coach

Kelly does not lead the team around the park.

So there is no difference.

I really think if Sandow was given the mandate to be 1st receiver and organizer, he could do it.

Bigfella

Coach
IMO It's pretty obvious from the way Hayne has changed his style this year that he has been instructed not to try to lead the team around so I'd be far more critical of Kelly and sandow in that regard.

Most good sides are also largely directed by their dummy halves as well. Manly and roosters maybe less so than say Melbourne, Souths and dogs

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Kelly does not lead the team around the park.

So there is no difference.

I really think if Sandow was given the mandate to be 1st receiver and organizer, he could do it.

so your saying no-one directs the plays in our team ?

born an eel

Bench
reading how Hayne rated the penrith side might be more of an indication how they mentally approached the game and thus got the result they did.

It is still the NRL no matter who you play and you should not expect a win against any team.

T.S Quint

Coach
So they and we should feel better if they trotted out the same ineptitude against NQ this week because NQ are better than Penrith?

No not really.
But there is an expectation when you play against certain teams - you expect to play well and beat a team like the Panthers. Getting flogged by the Roosters is no easier to watch, but in the end you don't feel as bad because we weren't expected to do well against them.

Let me ask you....do you feel more excitement when we beat the Storm, or when we beat the Sharks.
I feel a greater sense of pride when we beat the better teams - and a greater sense of disappointment when we lose to the lesser teams.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I just want to win...

Are we in a position that we should be concerned who we're beating?

The Colonel

Immortal
I'd take a win over the Young Cherrypickers at the moment.

I still believe that

1. Hopoate
3. Hayne
6. Norman
7. Sandow is the way forward.

Hayne can play a similar game to that of Lyon.