What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne missing. Spags pissed off. Our crap in the Tele again !

Gronk

Staff member
PARRAMATTA'S champion fullback Jarryd Hayne is being paid $600,000 a season to skip matches and go shopping on game day.

The Eels superstar was spotted in the aisles of Baulkham Hills Woolworths at 3.40pm on Sunday while his team was being annihilated by Manly.
Surprisingly, Hayne had the blessing of besieged coach Stephen Kearney, who gave him permission to have the weekend off after Origin.
Kearney is now at odds with Eels chairman Roy Spagnolo, who told The Daily Telegraph Hayne should have been at the game.
The Eels had a debutant in Jake Mullaney playing at fullback but Hayne was not at Brookvale to encourage him.
"Jarryd should have been there," Spagnolo said, "I was asking where he was at the game yesterday.
"These players are being paid a lot of money and they have responsibilities to the club. It wasn't a home game but it was at a suburban ground. You could understand if it was out of town.
"Jarryd is a leader at this club. We had a young bloke playing his first game and these youngsters need support and mentoring.
"I'll be speaking to the coach about it."
Kearney yesterday confirmed Hayne was granted leave after the Origin campaign with the Blues.
"We spoke about it after Origin," Kearney said.
"I agreed to give him the time off. It was a six-week campaign so he wasn't required to back until today.
"He's been here getting his injury treated this morning. He's broken no rules."
The Daily Telegraph was contacted yesterday by a Parramatta fan who spotted Hayne shopping while the game was on.
"He was leaving Woolworths about 3.45pm so maybe he was going home to watch the replay on Channel 9," the fan said. "But why wasn't he at Brookvale? Surely he should have been there.
"No wonder the club is struggling when the best player doesn't even bother watching them."
Hayne could not be contacted for comment last night.
All Origin players from other clubs are understood to have attended their club games last weekend.
At Kearney's former club Melbourne Storm, Maroons stars Billy Slater and Cameron Smith watched the match from the coaching box with Craig Bellamy.
This latest episode puts even more pressure on Kearney as he fights to save his coaching career.
The Eels board recently appointed former premiership coach Chris Anderson in a mentoring role for Kearney. It is unclear if Anderson was consulted before the decision was made to grant Hayne leave.
Even though he was granted five days off after suffering an ankle injury in the Origin match, officials were shocked he didn't attend the game.
"You'd think he'd want to be there to at least support the boys," an official said.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...flogged-by-manly/story-fnbhnhw5-1226421978467

oldmancraigy

Coach
SUCH A geniusED ARTICLE.

It's made out as some kind of attack on Hayne or used to demonstrate that Spags has no idea.

Really the title of the article should be: "Clueless Kearney doesn't care."

Then it should be a write up of how Spags is angry that he wasn't kept in the loop re: Hayne. And that Kearney told Hayne to have a weekend off and not to come to the game.

It's really not fair to blame Spags (he was deceived) or Hayne (he was told not to be there). Fair enough if people are angry that Hayne wasn't at Brooky, but don't blame Spags or Hayne, it's all on SK. Why the dud wasn't called in Monday morning and sacked is beyond me... Mind you, I've been thinking that for 10 weeks now.

strider

Post Whore
well it's nothing to do with hayne, he was given leave .... seems its just that Spags didn't know

and i don't blame him going shopping, I was on the verge of giving up at half time and pissing off to do the Franklins run myself

oldmancraigy

Coach
well it's nothing to do with hayne, he was given leave .... seems its just that Spags didn't know

and i don't blame him going shopping, I was on the verge of giving up at half time and pissing off to do the Franklins run myself

I think he just needed to freshen up his potato chips so he could make it through the second half.

Gronk

Staff member
It's only a story because the Chairman prematurely ejaculated without first checking Haynes's situation with the coach.

I thought we didn't speak to the media anymore ? Just today we have Bentley & Spags both making dicks of themselves.

#shuthef**kup

strider

Post Whore
I think he just needed to freshen up his potato chips so he could make it through the second half.

screw the potato chips, I wouldn't be knocking him if he was spotted in woolworths liquor in the hard spirits section after sunday's first half :lol:

strider

Post Whore
It's only a story because the Chairman prematurely ejaculated without first checking Haynes's situation with the coach.

I thought we didn't speak to the media anymore ? Just today we have Bentley & Spags both making dicks of themselves.

#shuthef**kup

have to agree with that .... Spags shouldn't have said anything to the media about it - its Media Relations 101 to button up and keep such things in-house ..... unless of course he has a plan behind it????

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
if your boss gives you the day off do you still turn up for work ?

the only issue I have is with the journalism and the misleading headline

PARRAMATTA'S champion fullback Jarryd Hayne is being paid $600,000 a season to skip matches and go shopping on game day

Kornstar

Coach
:lol: missing? He was spotted at Woolworths by a "fan", would hardly call that missing!

I fail to see why Hayne is in the title?

hybrideel

Bench
Obviously Hayne didn't do anything wrong but it needs to be asked why didn't he want to be there to support his teammates

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
But SK told him not the be there..... Your reaction is why I think the article is so stupid! It should be scathing towards SK, but instead Hayne and Spags come out looking like the bad guys/ incompetent.

I agree it is a stupid article and if spags is not happy it should be directed at Kearney .

But as a eels fan I expect our highest paid and best player to be with the team. Gee imagine how the players are feeling knowing there best player was out shopping when they were playing , it isn't a good look. To me it shows signs of immaturity on hayne at time when he should be showing some leadership. Gee hayne is one of the superstars in the game, would gallen, thurston, smith miss watching a game. Also i imagine jake would have been on cloud nine if hayne was there to give him his jumper and offer support/advice.

I dont care Kearney said hayne could have time off , hayne should have shown leadership and been there. He could have sat in the coaches box and he may have learnt something.

Latest posts