What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne taking torture for Origin

Gronk

Staff member
Hayne taking torture for Origin

By David Riccio | June 15, 2008 12:00am

0,,6093144,00.jpg

JARRYD Hayne has resorted to a punishing training schedule to ease fears about his fitness ahead of the Origin decider on July 2. Despite the widespread belief that the explosive Eels winger will be rushed straight back into the NSW line-up for game three, there is some anxiety among NSW officials over his lack of match fitness.
Hayne has not played since being found guilty of a dangerous throw in round 12 against Brisbane.
Suspended for three matches, Hayne would return for the final Origin game at ANZ Stadium without a minute of NRL action since the ban.
Hayne has played just eight matches (seven NRL, one Origin) this season.
It's a factor weighing on NSW coach Craig Bellamy despite many calling for the sacking of Steve Turner, who was brought in as Hayne's wing replacement at Suncorp Stadium.
Turner's Origin capabilities were questioned after Greg Inglis toyed with the Blues' right-side defence.
Hayne's training will be heavily scrutinised by Bellamy before determining if the Parramatta game-breaker is to be recalled.
The Eels' head trainer Craig Catterick, who is also a member of the Blues' coaching staff, will be charged with monitoring Hayne's progress.
"I know not playing again before game three might go against me, so I spoke to Craig (Bellamy) about things I could do to give myself every chance of being selected,'' Hayne said.
"He just told me to work hard on my fitness, and that's exactly what I have done.
"I've been doing stuff every day, all the extras and really putting in.''
On Friday, Hayne drove from his base at Parramatta for a one-on-one wrestling session in the city.
Yesterday he was put through a rigorous session at the Eels' gymnasium with Catterick.
"Probably the only bonus of not playing is that I can do a bit of extras and then back up easier to go again,'' Hayne said.
"I really want to put myself in the frame for game three, so I'm keen to make sure I'm putting in 100 per cent at every session.
"It was hard watching from the sidelines the other night, but it was harder watching the boys lose.
"I don't know if I would've made that much of a difference, it's hard to say.''
Hayne said if he was overlooked for the Origin decider in Sydney, he would return just as determined to help lift the Eels' fortunes against Melbourne in two weeks' time.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,23864234-14823,00.html

is there anything in the rules to stop him training with the origin team? if bellamy wants to see how he is going why not get jarryd training under him it also keeps him in the loop with revised tactics etc.

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
I'd pick a semi-fit Jarryd Hayne over a fully fit Steve Turner any day. Of course if Mark Gasnier isn't going to pass the ball it doesn't really matter who NSW play on the wing.

Nikki

Coach
Get they will give Gasnier all week to get over a hamstring injury for him to run out and have a mediocre game.. This is what has turned me off Origin Footy.

hybrideel

Bench
the thing i don't like about this is except for the last line it doesn't sound like he is too bothered about playing for parra. I know there are only a couple of quotes from him and the questions would've been aimed at origin selection but still....

Pazza

First Grade
good, i think Inu looks more comfortable at centre compared to Hayne. I'd have

2.Hayne
3.Inu

thats a dangerous combination

Latest posts