What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne to 5/8th ain't happening for 5 years and that's the final word - Hayne

Craig Johnston

First Grade
JARRYD HAYNE insists he won't change a thing after his shock Origin omission and predicts any move to five-eighth is at least five years away.
Hayne, who claims he already plays like pseudo pivot while wearing the No.1 jersey, spoke to NSW coach Ricky Stuart about his reasons for leaving him out of the team. While the Parramatta star said the discussion would remain ''private and confidential'', he was adamant there was no need to change his game as a result.
''I'll keep playing the way I do, whether I play Origin again or not,'' Hayne told The Sun-Herald. ''I am who I am. Just because I didn't make the team, it doesn't mean I'm not playing well. That's why I said I was confused with the call that I was playing too much as a five-eighth - I was playing that all the time I played fullback. I played fullback last year in State of Origin, I've done great things playing fullback.
Advertisement: Story continues below
''It was very confusing to have a call like that. I just want to enjoy my footy and keep playing. Life goes on, I'll move on.''
Hayne, who had mixed success at No.6 under former Eels coach Daniel Anderson, conceded it was likely he would end his career as a pivot.
''Obviously it's an option down the track,'' Hayne said. ''One day, when I lose a bit of speed and agility when I get older, I'll definitely make it an option. But for the next five or so years, I'm going to play fullback. That's pretty much the final word.''
The 23-year-old said his stint as a pivot had improved his fullback play. ''For sure,'' he said. ''I'm a ball-player now because of that experience. I enjoy watching Darren Lockyer play, what he does, and I try to implement that in my game. We've spoken about [switching again with Eels coach Stephen Kearney], it's something he's openly suggested. I've made it pretty clear that I'm not ready for it.
''I don't feel I have the composure to be a five-eighth. I understand you need to live and learn before you can go anywhere, but I haven't given everything as a fullback yet. I've played full-time fullback for only 2½ to three years - I really want to knuckle down. I feel I'm doing a pretty good job.'' The Eels host Cronulla at Parramatta Stadium tomorrow night and the Sharks are bracing for a backlash from Hayne. However, the former Dally M medallist denied his snubbing had given him extra motivation. ''Something like that shouldn't give you motivation, you should have motivation already,'' he said. ''I have motivation to play good and do well for Parra.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ge-his-ways-20110521-1exrh.html#ixzz1MzvkXqt3

Craig Johnston

First Grade
PARRAMATTA coach Stephen Kearney will persevere with Jarryd Hayne at fullback despite the 2009 Dally M Medallist being overlooked for NSW selection.

Blues coach Ricky Stuart dropped a bombshell by omitting Hayne from Origin I and suggesting the Eels custodian plays more like a five-eighth than a fullback.

But Parramatta coach Kearney has no intention of reopening the five-eighth experiment with Hayne in the immediate future. He will be at fullback for tomorrow night's match against the Sharks at Toyota Park.

The Eels unsuccessfully tried Hayne at five-eighth for the opening four games of 2009 under former coach Daniel Anderson.

But after mixed results, Hayne was moved to his preferred position of fullback.

"For Parramatta at the moment, Jarryd's best position is fullback," Kearney said.

"I'm very pleased he's available for us. He's our fullback and that's where he's going to be playing this weekend."

Kearney was reluctant to discuss Hayne's Origin snubbing or Stuart's assertion that he plays more like a second receiver than a fullback.

Against the Cowboys last Saturday night, Hayne had six line-break assists and one try assist, along with making four tackle busts and two offloads.

"It's not for me to comment on. Jarryd has spoken to Ricky and he knows what he's got to do and where he's got to get to," Kearney said of Hayne's Origin axing.

"Of course he's disappointed but it's not going to change anything by me saying anything or (Hayne) saying anything."

On Monday, Hayne conceded five-eighth may eventually be his best position and admitted studying video of how Brisbane captain Darren Lockyer had made a smooth transition from fullback.

But The Sunday Telegraph understands the bigger issue behind Hayne's omission is the perception that he needs to adjust his attitude.

Aside from making no try-saving tackles as the last line of defence for Parramatta this season, there is a belief among rival NRL teams that he can be baited into brain snaps.

The recent evidence is his headbutt confrontation with Bulldogs forward Corey Payne and last year's similar flare-up with Melbourne Storm's Billy Slater.

Against Cronulla at Parramatta Stadium tomorrow night, Hayne has the perfect opportunity to send a message to Stuart.

His on-field performance will make the loudest statement about how he has responded to his axing.

Former NSW and Australian halfback Greg Alexander supported Kearney's call to ignore the push to shift Hayne to five-eighth.

"There's no doubt he plays like a five-eighth, but fullback is his best spot," Alexander said. "Some of the things he does are from second receiver, but having him pigeonholed at five-eighth in the front line just wouldn't give him the freedom that fullback offers."

Kearney confirmed Parramatta would continue to be active on the recruitment front after last week adding Bulldogs five-eighth Ben Roberts and Gold Coast's Esi Tonga to the club's roster for next season.

"We are still actively out there just seeing what we need and we're still working through that," Kearney said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ted-jarryd-hayne/story-e6frep5x-1226060246949

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
f**kin oath.

Who the f**k's Ricky Stuart anyway? He's the Origin coach for the same reason Meninga is - because he failed coaching at club level.

guruminga

Juniors
As much as I admire Hayne as a player and a person (and I do), I don't like the way he says "this is where I want to play, and this is where I will play". I would have thought most players will let the coach decide these things, and work their guts out to do well in the position they've been given, just happy to be in the side.

As far as whether Hayne should change to 5/8, I don't really mind either way as long as he's playing for us.

G

hybrideel

Bench
I don't get how he has supposedly made no try saving tackles this season. I'm sure I remember seeing a few

oldmancraigy

Coach
He made at least one.

Against the Cowboys, he and Hindmarsh held up a player over the tryline.
I guess only Hindy got credit for it.

He definitely got two in that game (the one at Parramatta stadium) - one held up with Hindy, the other he switched positions with Burt for 1 defensive set (good thing too) - held up Tonga out wide.

He also made a try saver up in North Queensland (did he make 2 up there as well?)

I'm pretty sure he made one against Souths earlier in the season.

However many it is, the journo is DEFINITELY wrong.

strider

Post Whore

While he is arrogant, I can't disagree with jarryd in what he's said here

there's nothing stopping him from playing the type of fullback role ricky f'n wants irrespective of whether he plays a bigger role for parra week to week .... jarryd has played a great winger role for nsw in the past despite being the parra fullback at the time - he's a quality player and he will adjust to what's needed - he lives for rep footy and has always done everything needed/asked of him at rep level

ricky just favoured one player over another (and dugan is a very good player too - just gotta pick one) ..... of course even with dugan fullback I still would have put hayne on the wing over morris - morris is just a catch the ball and put it down for a try winger - hayne could offer that and so much more - hayne+uate would be such a dangerous wing combo for NSW

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Who gives a f**k what Stuart thinks, the guy flicked De Gois for an over the hill Nuffy like Corey Hughes. I still think the going to 5/8 thing is just to cover up Sticky and Dugan sick love affair.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
firstly I think Hayne should shut up and play footy

secondly who gives a rats arse what Sticky thinks, he wont be around for much longer

mickdo

Coach
LOL, we lose 5 Origin series in a row and now Stuart thinks we should bring in a completely untested Dugan because one of the most experienced Blues in Hayne can be 'baited into brainsnaps'? Sure Ricky, that must have been the problem all along... despite Jarryd being the best player for the Blues during that time, winning two player's player awards. Genius.

What a class A f**kwit. I don't often wish cement trucks on people, but Ricky I hope you meet one very soon.

True EEL

Bench
I don't agree with players telling coaches where they will play. Especially when Hayne admits SK has openly suggested the move to him - even if its Jarryd Hayne

Phil Gould recently sat down with Petero at Penrith and told him in no uncertain terms.....players play, coaches coach and administrators run the club.....
Gould's quote after having said that was along the lines of I didn't see any division in Petero's eyes after that.....

Having said that, I couldn't give a rats what Ricky Stuart thinks.....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't agree with players telling coaches where they will play. Especially when Hayne admits SK has openly suggested the move to him - even if its Jarryd Hayne

Put it this way - if the coach doesn't like it he can let Hayne go. I'm sure there are plenty of clubs willing to take over his contract.

Your boss might be your boss, but you've still got the right to tell him what you want and what you expect. And if he doesn't like it you're free to find a better boss.

Stagger eel

Staff member
lets be frank about this, there are 2 members of our full time squad who are probably entitled to make those sort of statements in the press 1 is Hindy the other Haynzie, every club has them and we need to be concious of their status at the club.

spartan2153

Juniors
lets be frank about this, there are 2 members of our full time squad who are probably entitled to make those sort of statements in the press 1 is Hindy the other Haynzie, every club has them and we need to be concious of their status at the club.

Exactly what i think. He is our team. No hayne no points. He can say & play whatever & wherever he wants.

Stagger eel

Staff member
and I think you'll find that blokes like Marshal, Cam Smith, Lockyer and Prince are given the same sort of latitude at their clubs, it just makes sense.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In Guus Hiddink's biography, he talks about the time he coached the South Korean national team.

In one bit he's talking about having to overcome the attitudes of the players and Jeong Hwan Ahn is mentioned as having a higher profile than his ability should allow.

The book tells how Ahn turned up to training like a prima donna, and Hiddink's reaction:

Hiddink didn't flinch, telling him that he need not bother coming to training if he did not change his attitude.

"I would accept something like that from a player like Zidane, but Jeong Hwan Ahn is a player who has been made by the media."

So whether or not you think Hayne's profile has been blown out of proportion by the media, the point is that coaches shouldn't treat all players the same - different players have earnt different levels of treatment from the other employees of their clubs, including the coach.

Everyone's getting paid different amounts; that means everyone's worth different amounts. They should be treated correspondingly.