What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Head clash discussion

skeepe

Immortal
I don't think Miller is deliberately going out to break the rules.

I do think he needs to reconsider the way he puts his body on the line. Not the effort he puts in, just the technique he uses. There's courageous and then there's just plain silly.

Miller doesn't need to change a thing. Christ some people are softcocks.

Hanscholo

Bench
Was it the Souths forward johnson that was cited and suspended over head tackles using his head? I think it was thought that he had way too many over a short space of time and he wore head gear which made it all that much more suspicious. In his case i think they got it right, but it was very controversial at the time because of the amount of clean head clashes that are let go.

I have to admit I had my doubts over the tackle made by Carl Webb on the weekend. but its such a fine line. Id suggest that putting them to a review comittee is the way to go but they are going to let everything go until the NRL crack down on it.

The thing is, someone is going to be killed one day, its only a matter of time. The unavoidable totally accidental head clashes need to be separated out from the ones that were avoidable. Its extremely hard to do that, and do it fairly, the NRL have shown they cannot do this with any consistency.

dragonfire

Bench
its a hard thing to gauge, because if you look at Miller's one there was all the intent in the world to smash Weyman. He admitted he used piss poor technique and his head should of been on the other side, that shows recklessness and looking at the tackle there was all the intent in the world. The only problem i had was he deserved to be the one ktfo not Weyman, though thats hard when he gets him pretty flush on the jaw with the side of his head. It doesnt deserve a suspension but i think someone made a valid point that under those circumstances the attacking team should be allowed to play the ball and go from there.

AJH

Juniors
lol, I sincerely doubt any players go into a tackle with intent to cause a head clash.

I agree, but players don't (generally) intend high/lifting tackles either, which they may get suspended for. In most cases it's poor technique, same as a lot of the head clashes we see. I just wonder if the NRL will try to do something about it, same as they did with lifting tackles after a few serious injuries. The tackle on Jarrod McCracken (which he sued over) was the catalyst for that I think.

Definitely agree with saints-fireup that the team in possession shouldn't lose out if their player is concussed and drops the ball.

Cheers

Eels Dude

Coach
I agree, but players don't (generally) intend high/lifting tackles either, which they may get suspended for. In most cases it's poor technique, same as a lot of the head clashes we see. I just wonder if the NRL will try to do something about it, same as they did with lifting tackles after a few serious injuries. The tackle on Jarrod McCracken (which he sued over) was the catalyst for that I think.

Definitely agree with saints-fireup that the team in possession shouldn't lose out if their player is concussed and drops the ball.

Cheers

When it comes to lifting tackles as long as the play pulls out early enough it can be used as a defence. Or also, by avoiding placing the arm between the player's legs. Most non reckless are dismissed at the judiciary. A head clash in most cases it's going always going to be accidental from the get go. If it because an issue with specific players then I'd expect the NRL to crack down same with the way they did with knee lifting.

aussie7798

First Grade
i dont think miller deliberatley used his head in the weyman tackle but if you look at his position at contact there is a problem with his technique he is leaning forward to make the shoulder charge but his head is the leading part of his body so if the ball runner runs upright and does not deviate then the first contact will be made by millers head , this is not the first time it has happened with miller coming off the worse on previous occasions he needs to do something about it for his and others safety

Raider_69

Post Whore
Miller does. It's not the first time I've seen him go in like that and he's come off worse for wear more than once.

Absolute bollocks
Miller comes in for big shots, occasionally there is a head clash, occasionally he comes off worse for it, occasionally the attacker does. Thats the risk he runs and he plays the game hard and fair.

Cant control headclashes, part of the game, short of it being deliberate head but, nothing can or should be done. i Do agree in instances like the Weyman one, where its clear he was out cold before he even hit the ground, he shouldnt lose possession

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
i dont think miller deliberatley used his head in the weyman tackle but if you look at his position at contact there is a problem with his technique he is leaning forward to make the shoulder charge but his head is the leading part of his body so if the ball runner runs upright and does not deviate then the first contact will be made by millers head , this is not the first time it has happened with miller coming off the worse on previous occasions he needs to do something about it for his and others safety
Not the first time it has happened with Weyman either.

Miller doesnt have to change anything

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Absolute bollocks
Miller comes in for big shots, occasionally there is a head clash, occasionally he comes off worse for it, occasionally the attacker does. Thats the risk he runs and he plays the game hard and fair.

Cant control headclashes, part of the game, short of it being deliberate head but, nothing can or should be done. i Do agree in instances like the Weyman one, where its clear he was out cold before he even hit the ground, he shouldnt lose possession

I like the raiders and miller in particular - good honest hard working toiler.

But from a couple of games I have seen him attempted stupid kamakaze - and dont call me a softcock because I dont mind blokes putting on big hitts.

Surely as a fan you have seen him launch himself - head first - so you can prevent some headclashes - you dont lead in head first and dive at the bloke.

Latest posts