What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*head explodes*

Timbo

Staff member
I agree bay.

If we go into 2009 without picking up two name players, we'll struggle big time.

Also, still, the big questionmark is on Furnace.

30 Year Sharkie

Juniors
Hey guys, commiserations .. was at the game yesterday and you took it up to us all night - the score wasn't a real indicator of the difference. If you keep those young guys firing you'll be a real shot next year, especially that fullback of yours...

Great sportsmanship too for (I presume) the leader of your supporters group who came over to our bay to shake hands with the C S S C. Pure class - the sort of thing that makes going to the footy worthwhile....

aussies1st

Staff member
Really gutted, I'd prefer a straight sudden death than this. Down yesterday and now even more down today. Congrats to the Warriors though, well deserved.

Chachi

Bench
I'm not to concerned about who we've lost for next season. From our end of season lineup we've lost:

Best - who IMO has probably had his day in the sun - although is probably our biggest loss.
Chalk - definition of average first grader.
Costigan - Inconsistent at best and was never really a factor this year.
Hinchcliffe - Lets face the facts, he's a hard bastard and solid player but won't ever bring us a premiership playing at number 9.

We've also lost Weyman, Withers and Zillman who we managed to replace quite well already. Carney will be a loss and Goodwin - meh.

Add to our final team Graham, Shillington, TLL, Carney, Flanagan, Thompson x2 and Turner plus maybe Fensom and Dugan plus whatever $750,000+ buys you these days and things are looking OK. We're still a young team on the way up.

As far as Furner goes, IMO he will bring more starch to our defence which has been shown up badly at times this season. He will also continue our attacking style from what I have heard and seen - remembering his time as coach of our PL team gave us some of the best attacking footy I have seen. Those were the days where I honestly preferred to watch Premier League than our First Grade team.

I'm not that worried about Furner at all...the dude bleeds green, has played for NSW and Aus (unlike Henry) and has a great deal of respect throughout the NRL. He will continue to bring guys like Daley, Walters, Meninga and Badge back into the club and we will be better off for it. He is also a fitness freak like Henry so I think our team will be just as well physically prepared as we have been these past few seasons.

nickraider

Juniors
Totally gutted! Can't believe the Storm. They're are bogey side for sure even when we're not playing them! Congrats to the Warriors though - fully deserved.

shear_joy9

Coach
I'm not to concerned about who we've lost for next season. From our end of season lineup we've lost:

Best - who IMO has probably had his day in the sun - although is probably our biggest loss.
Hinchcliffe - Lets face the facts, he's a hard bastard and solid player but won't ever bring us a premiership playing at number 9.

We've also lost Weyman, Withers and Zillman who we managed to replace quite well already. Carney will be a loss and Goodwin - meh.

Add to our final team Graham, Shillington, TLL, Carney, Flanagan, Thompson x2 and Turner plus maybe Fensom and Dugan plus whatever $750,000+ buys you these days and things are looking OK. We're still a young team on the way up.

I haven't been impressed with what I've seen from Shillington and Flanagan, and the money they are reportedly on.

Graham and TLL are too injury prone to be depended on for a season;

very curious too see who the club signs for next season. The amount of spare cash should see a few big names; but we'll have to see.

maybe a cheeky $1million to K. Hunt for a cameo season? would certainly get the crowds in, I can only dream...

Stu Flanagan is a great buy from the Tigers. This season was an incredible success, between Carney, Suspension, injury, coaching drama and the lot, they still manage to make the top 6 playing the best brand of football from any team. Gold medal performance, hold your hands up high.

Chachi

Bench
I haven't been impressed with what I've seen from Shillington and Flanagan, and the money they are reportedly on.

Graham and TLL are too injury prone to be depended on for a season;

very curious too see who the club signs for next season. The amount of spare cash should see a few big names; but we'll have to see.

maybe a cheeky $1million to K. Hunt for a cameo season? would certainly get the crowds in, I can only dream...
That's cool - each to their own. In recent years I've heard a bunch of fans express their concerns about the likes of Logan, Best, Mogg and Plum before they joined us too.

I rate these two highly and I'm prepared for them to be two of our best buys in years. They're both young and have the ability to play rep footy IMO.

Graham and TLL have both had their injury concerns agreed, but if we can get anywhere near a full season of footy out of them they are both match winners. Time will tell.

I don't expect any "big name" signings, but I do expect a few strategic moves that may give us our next origin quality players. Don't forget we dragged Schifcofske, Mogg, O'Hara and Costigan out of reserve grade from other clubs to play origin footy...and we will do it again.

Bay56

First Grade

As far as Furner goes, IMO he will bring more starch to our defence which has been shown up badly at times this season. He will also continue our attacking style from what I have heard and seen - remembering his time as coach of our PL team gave us some of the best attacking footy I have seen. Those were the days where I honestly preferred to watch Premier League than our First Grade team.

I'm not that worried about Furner at all...the dude bleeds green, has played for NSW and Aus (unlike Henry) and has a great deal of respect throughout the NRL. He will continue to bring guys like Daley, Walters, Meninga and Badge back into the club and we will be better off for it. He is also a fitness freak like Henry so I think our team will be just as well physically prepared as we have been these past few seasons.

This probably deserves a thread of its own ...

Remember Chach that Furner was our forwards coach this year. His time as the PL coach were probably the least successful ... Snoopy Collins was the man.

You cant win premierships with average to good players only .... that class of player thrives under the leadership of a few marquee players in strategic positions ... look how this years team flourished once a single player started to dominate ... the problem on the weekend was that a very astute coach in Stuart made Campo work extra hard in defence and we therefore paid for it in attack.

We must be heaps under the cap .. management have to use it wisely with a good part used to attract real talent ... the club is regaining some credibility so it will be easier to get those marquee players on board.

Latest posts