What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heavy metal welcome angers Lyon -- Sportal

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/League-news-display/heavy-metal-welcome-angers-lyon-32217

Manly star Jamie Lyon lashed out at coin-throwing Parramatta fans after they targeted him following the Sea Eagles' emotional 32-24 win at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday.

Lyon, making his first appearance back at the club he walked out on in 2004, condemned supporters for endangering players and staff.

Lyon was uninjured but Manly replacement forward Luke Williamson - along with team trainers - reported being hit by coins.

"A few of the boys got coins thrown at them. I don't think that is very good," Lyon said after scoring two tries to sink his old club.

"I think they should pull their head in about throwing coins and stuff like that onto the field."

"It got our trainer and Luke Williamson in the head."

"You don't go throwing coins. It could take an eye out and do some damage."

Williamson joked: "Unfortunately they were only 20c coins. If they were the gold colour, you'd be going back there."

But he then added: "Thankfully it wasn't in my head. Fortunately no-one was hurt."

"When I went back on the field in the second half, one of our trainers noted there were plenty of coins in the ground around us."

Manly CEO Grant Mayer will file a report with the NRL over the incident, labelling the coin throwers as 'cowards'.

"It's a cowardly act to sit behind the players' enclosure and throw metal objects at people," he said.

"These people have small minds and I hope they take a good, hard look at themselves."

"You must also question the security at the ground. I know it was an exciting match but surely there was enough security at the ground to identify the culprits."

I suppose I didn't expect any better...

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I saw a few do it, just near where we were sitting, and suprisingly enough they all had Manly colours on.

PJ Marshal

Coach
CliffyIsGod said:
http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/League-news-display/heavy-metal-welcome-angers-lyon-32217

Manly star Jamie Lyon lashed out at coin-throwing Parramatta fans after they targeted him following the Sea Eagles' emotional 32-24 win at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday.

Lyon, making his first appearance back at the club he walked out on in 2004, condemned supporters for endangering players and staff.

Lyon was uninjured but Manly replacement forward Luke Williamson - along with team trainers - reported being hit by coins.

"A few of the boys got coins thrown at them. I don't think that is very good," Lyon said after scoring two tries to sink his old club.

"I think they should pull their head in about throwing coins and stuff like that onto the field."

"It got our trainer and Luke Williamson in the head."

"You don't go throwing coins. It could take an eye out and do some damage."

Williamson joked: "Unfortunately they were only 20c coins. If they were the gold colour, you'd be going back there."

But he then added: "Thankfully it wasn't in my head. Fortunately no-one was hurt."

"When I went back on the field in the second half, one of our trainers noted there were plenty of coins in the ground around us."

Manly CEO Grant Mayer will file a report with the NRL over the incident, labelling the coin throwers as 'cowards'.

"It's a cowardly act to sit behind the players' enclosure and throw metal objects at people," he said.

"These people have small minds and I hope they take a good, hard look at themselves."

"You must also question the security at the ground. I know it was an exciting match but surely there was enough security at the ground to identify the culprits."

I suppose I didn't expect any better...

if we had of thrown food u wud of been first in line cliffy

Dutchy

Immortal
League fans are cheap...at the soccer beers are thrown...no matter how much is in your cup

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't agree with throwing coins or anything for that matter. Abuse him, swear at him all you like (I did) but that's as far as it should go.

big boppa eel

Juniors
CliffyIsGod said:
Trust the Parra fans to only throw 20c coins. Cheap f**ks.
I think 20 cents was pretty good for this wanker when u consider how much the prick earnt in the off season and the one game he played for us that year we still payed the wanker a sh*t load for dogging it and walking out on his team mates, now f**k OFF.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
he did alot worse to this club and us supporters alot worse than throwing coins at us, he deserves all the crap he gets

PJ Marshal

Coach
most of the manly players wud of pocketed them, now they will be a few cents over the cap the cheating assholes

Dutchy

Immortal
hindmarsh4pm said:
he did alot worse to this club and us supporters alot worse than throwing coins at us, he deserves all the crap he gets

verbally yes. But off field physicality..big no no.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
PJ Marshal said:
most of the manly players wud of pocketed them, now they will be a few cents over the cap the cheating assholes
a few cents over the cap? hahaha they are already a few million over the cap. Toovey went and picked up those coins, he and ben kennedy are going halves

Parra R 4 Me

Juniors
In these days money is hard enough to earn, then go and throw it away, no matter how small the change way. I rather spend it on something worth while.