What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heffron Park Training Base

PHIL ROTHFIELD THE DAILY TELEGRAPH AUGUST 07, 2013 12:00AM
BE THE FIRST TO RESPOND
TOM AND GEORGE BURGESS RE-SIGN WITH RABBITOHS

KEVIN Rudd is pitching his election campaign on buying the votes of NRL fans.

A day after pledging $10 million to revamp Brookvale Oval, the government will today announce an even bigger grant for the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The money will go towards building a $20 million centre of excellence in Maroubra that will become the club's training headquarters. It will accommodate the club's entire operation - including football, administration, charitable arms and merchandise.

Not a bad gift from a Prime Minister who famously didn't know the difference between Origin and NRL when he congratulated the Brisbane Broncos for winning a recent Origin series.

Still, Souths are overjoyed to be getting the handout. "Being in Maroubra, in the heart of Souths territory, it's perfect for us," said Souths CEO Shane Richardson recently, when asked about the possible move from Redfern to Maroubra.

NSW Minister for Sport Graham Annesley said the Labor Party knows it's in trouble in NSW.

"You couldn't pole vault over the current national debt but they know rugby league is hugely popular in this city," Annesley said.

"So they are throwing money around like confetti in an attempt to buy votes.

"I'm always happy for sport to receive funding but I think league fans will say thanks very much then vote exactly as they originally intended."

The Rabbitohs' facility will be built on land at Heffron Park and be completed in two years. The move is unlikely to affect South Sydney's ongoing schedule to play home matches at ANZ Stadium, although their average crowd is down by 2000 a game this year, despite the team's success.

Parramatta and the Canterbury Bulldogs are winners, too. The Eels have been given $20 million to upgrade Parramatta Stadium and the Bulldogs will receive $4 million for improvements at Belmore.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...new-headquarters/story-fni3gki8-1226692387651

Rabbitohs Delighted with Plans for a High Performance Community Centre in South Sydney District
Words: Rabbitohs Media Release
Wednesday 7 August 2013 12:00 PM
Rabbitohs Delighted with Plans for a High Performance Community Centre in South Sydney District
The South Sydney Rabbitohs are delighted to be able to proceed, in conjunction with Randwick City Council, with planning for the building of a High Performance Community Centre in the centre of the South Sydney district, following the announcement today that Council had received a $16 million grant from the Federal Government for the historic development at Maroubra’s Heffron Park.
Federal Minister for Sport, Senator the Hon. Don Farrell, made the announcement about the funding at Heffron Park today.
The Rabbitohs have been in discussions with Randwick City Council, the Federal Government, Marcellin College Randwick, Souths Juniors and the National Rugby League about building a 5000-square-metre facility at Heffron Park.
This state-of-the-art centre will include a gymnasium, indoor sports arena, a high altitude chamber, rehabilitation pool and a community centre with theatrette seating for up to 120 people.
The centre will also provide a new home for Souths Cares – the community service organisation established by Souths in 2007. More than 5,500 young people in the South Sydney district will benefit from education, training and employment programs administered by Souths Cares annually, with the High Performance Community Centre to house classrooms from which Souths Cares will run its many and varied community programs.
This High Performance Community Centre will establish Heffron Park as one of the major sporting precincts in NSW and provide a wonderful sporting and educational facility in this densely populated area of Sydney.
This initiative is in line with the overall development of Heffron Park as a Multi Regional Sporting Precinct and is expected to create employment opportunities during the development of the site, as well as post-completion which is expected to take approximately two years.
“This is an exciting project for the Club, truly a watershed moment for the future of the Rabbitohs, and it will allow us to go to the next level both on and off field, whilst staying in the South Sydney district,” Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson said today.
“We’re very excited about this project and we will be working closely with Randwick City Council, Souths Juniors, Marcellin College, the NRL and the team at Souths Cares to make it a state-of-the-art facility that suits the needs of all parties involved.
“We want to make sure we can help Randwick City Council build the best Rugby League High Performance Community Centre and administration offices under one roof in the NRL in our district, whilst also providing great community facilities for the people in the South Sydney region.
“Souths Cares and the Rabbitohs have worked closely with Randwick City Council over the past three years so they know firsthand the impact our Club and Souths Cares can have in the community.
“As a Club, we thank the Federal Government, Randwick City Council, Marcellin College, Souths Juniors and the NRL for their assistance in getting this project started and we look forward to a long and rewarding partnership with all parties into the future.”

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news-di...mmunity-Centre-in-South-Sydney-District/81263

Last edited:

ek999

First Grade
How are Souths supposed to train with all these business people standing around on the field and talking on their phones.

Good news for Souths. I'm not a massive fan of the overall design but that's just personal preference. Does this mean you are moving away from Redfern?

How are Souths supposed to train with all these business people standing around on the field and talking on their phones.

Good news for Souths. I'm not a massive fan of the overall design but that's just personal preference. Does this mean you are moving away from Redfern?

No.

We will never move away from Redfern and the facilities at Redfern are still state of the art. It just means we will have two seperate sets of training facilities.

ek999

First Grade
Reading through this whole thread with the earlier stuff it does appear as though they will be moving away from Redfern completely.

Rabbitohs Announce Building of New High Performance Community Centre
Words: Tom Skolarikis I Video: Patrick Brady
Wednesday 7 August 2013 4:55 PM

Rabbitohs officials and politicians took time out today (Wednesday) to announce the building of the Clubs’ new High Performance Community Centre at Heffron Park.
The Honourable Don Farrell, Minister for Sport, was joined by current Member for Kingsford Smith Peter Garrett, Labor Candidate for Kingsford Smith Matt Thistlethwaite and others to announce the Government’s $16 million contribution to the project.
“The Rabbitohs are of course an iconic club in the NRL – and we’re very pleased to be here today to support them in what will be their new home here at Heffron Park,” the Minister for Sport said.
Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson, said the announcement is an important one not just for the Rabbitohs, but for the South Sydney community, with all of the organisation’s positive initiatives set to be housed all under the one roof.
“It’s a really important day for South Sydney, and for the community in general,” said Mr Richardson.
“We’ve been working with Souths Juniors and the schools in the area, through our indigenous programs (indigenous employment), through our teacher’s aide with our top 25 players working among the community in the district to deliver healthy lifestyle messages. But we’ve done all these things sort of ‘ad-hoc’ at different locations all over the area.
“What we’ve been able to do here, with the assistance of the Juniors and Marcellin College – who have been fantastic in working with us – is to bring them all under the one roof.
“This could never have happened without the tremendous support of Randwick Council, and also without the support of the Government today.
“This truly is an opportunity for us to increase what we do in the district on a far larger scale, to make important contributions to the area on a far larger scale, and this is a really positive step forward for not only South Sydney, but the South Sydney community, and I really want to thank Randwick Council for allowing us to do that today."
Mr Richardson also went on to thank the NRL for their support in making the project a reality, citing that their support will allow the Club to continue to make good on the positive work being done in the community with Rugby League as the vehicle.
To watch the video from today’s announcement, please press play on the video player.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news-di...f-New-High-Performance-Community-Centre/81343

Last edited:

ek999

First Grade
Sounds like what we have at Belmore with the same sort of tech as far as training and recovery goes. Not sure if any other clubs have an altitutde chamber besides our two clubs. This is the sort of thing that really seperates the top clubs from the rest with how the salary cap is. Can't see Souths being anywhere but near the top going into the near future. It's good that everything is finally coming together for them on and off the field

ash the bash

Juniors
Cheers ek999,

Seen some new photo's of Belmore and its impressive, it can only be a good thing for the game overall. Very happy about this, tbh one of my fantasy's allways has been a 30k all seater at Heffron park. This is the next best thing dho still only 5 mins to go and watch them train when im back home :)

Robbie 12

Juniors
Who needs another redfern...if they planning to turn Heffron park into a stadium ok...but there is no mention of it at all....need a stadium ....that way we can attend souths games in the south sydney area( a true home game ) that would be so cool ... A true souths home game ... not in homebush....bulldogs area

adamkungl

Immortal
Who needs another redfern...if they planning to turn Heffron park into a stadium ok...but there is no mention of it at all....need a stadium ....that way we can attend souths games in the south sydney area( a true home game ) that would be so cool ... A true souths home game ... not in homebush....bulldogs area

If only there was a decent stadium somewhere along Anzac Pde :( Alas, Souffs are forever forced to play in nearby Homebush. Heartbreaking stuff.

:roll:

As for the new facilities, anyone have an idea how this affects the Coogee Randwick Wombats? Will they be booted from Heffron?

Robbie 12

Juniors
If only there was a decent stadium somewhere along Anzac Pde :( Alas, Souffs are forever forced to play in nearby Homebush. Heartbreaking stuff.

:roll:

As for the new facilities, anyone have an idea how this affects the Coogee Randwick Wombats? Will they be booted from Heffron?

Stadium .... Stadium ..... Stadium stadium ..... South sydney....south sydney ... Don't worry ....there will be a push for it ...why not ... These councils always take from the community time to give back ..

....the council where I live a treble pot holes in my street ...they then come to patch them up 3 weeks later they reappear ... I complain again they I get told some crap on the phone by a council member that my street is not in the 4 year plan.... And they are not going to lay a new road ....I said fine I tell everyone my street and they can tell all there friends in the surrounding streets and community to vote for you next time ....can't wait for election time ..how come you gone quite on the phone ....there are no words that I can express in welcomed company that can describe your incompertence....