What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helping game officials get it right

Boxer

Juniors
If the NRL wishes to minimise controversy with game officials then isn't it about time they made it easier for them to control a match.
The first thing to do is go back to basics. Minimise & simplify the rules of the game. Nobody knows what a knock on is these days, just make Any Dropped Ball just that, a dropped ball, whistle blows. no arguments.

No more of this Surrender tackle, Dominant Tackle, bullsh*t, a tackle is a tackle. When a player's FORWARD Movement ceases, so does the tackle.
There is no more tackle gangs taking players backwards or sideways if the tackled players legs have ceased their Forward direction, that's it call "HELD"

In the play the ball, there are so many breaches of the rules that we start afresh here. the ball player must stand to play the ball, he must roll it under a raised leg, does not have to propel the ball with his foot. He must also play the ball where he was tackled Not 3 steps to the side or forward as is happening at times now.

The markers Must be square. Front marker Must Not interfere with the player playing the ball "AT ALL" Even if he just puts a hand on the player then a penalty is awarded
Second marker Must be located no more than 1 meter behind front marker.

As now, the defending side should be 10 meters from the play the ball area. without the referee shouting HOLD, HOLD, GO. if players don't know how it works by now they shouldn't be there.
If the players Do Not line up alongside the referee then either he or the linesman make it known they are offside and the whistle blows, penalty. Irregardless of the offending players position on the field.

ANY PLAYER, that commits an offence that requires "That's going on report" should also get 10 minutes in the SIN BIN let him think about what got him chucked off the field.
In Fact the Sin Bin should be used a lot more than it is. Persistent penalty givers get 10 in the SB, not just proffesional fouls in the last minutes of a game.

I expect there will be entries lodged stating that the penalty counts will kill the flow. They might At the start, but it wont take long for coaches & players to learn that if they break these rules they get punished.
Things will change.

Add whatever you think should be done to help the game's officials cope, I tend to think the game we love should be just that "a game" not a frustrating rampage that causes all the grief we are seeing at the moment

Bench
Officials will continually get it wrong while ever the ref boss keeps blindly backing them with help from the citings commitee.:x

Nickeel

Juniors
Boxer said:
No more of this Surrender tackle, Dominant Tackle, bullsh*t, a tackle is a tackle. When a player's FORWARD Movement ceases, so does the tackle.
There is no more tackle gangs taking players backwards or sideways if the tackled players legs have ceased their Forward direction, that's it call "HELD"

Thereby destroying one of the few true contests left in the game?

If a side is pumped up and has a big set in defence, getting men in the tackles and driving the man with the ball back, why should they be punished? There's nothing I like seeing from my side at the start of the game or after a restart than a rousing first set in defence. And an attacker who dives at the legs of the defenders should be punished with an extra hold-down, IMO.

In the play the ball, there are so many breaches of the rules that we start afresh here. the ball player must stand to play the ball, he must roll it under a raised leg, does not have to propel the ball with his foot. He must also play the ball where he was tackled Not 3 steps to the side or forward as is happening at times now.

Agree with pretty much everything here. The moving off the mark is one of my bugbears - the markers move with the play the ball to try and counter it and get penalised for interference, or stand their mark and get penalised for not being square... or, fail to get to the dummy half who is collecting the ball three metres away.

Hardly anyone uses their foot to PTB anymore, unfortunately, so that suggestion has merit.

Nick

jamesgould

Juniors
It could do with a few tweaks, but the idea is right.

I also agree with the penalties - we need HEAPS more awarded to get players to conform - then once they are playing by the rules it will naturally decrease. All the refs want to have a low count now, but they are not giving penalties where they need to be awarded ... this worked for Bill Harrigan, but it seems he was one of the few with the authority to pull it off.

Fatdog

Juniors
Kids copy what the first graders do. I watched a u/7s knockout on the weekend and out of the 10 games I watched i can count on one hand the times the kids played the ball with their foot. 99% just roll it through their legs just like the big boys. I think we can give up on trying to enforce that rule.

Christmas Ape

Juniors
I reckon the 3 main ones to change are -

1. Diving at the tackler's feet or diving out from your own in-goal - Voluntary tackle, penalty.

2. Moving off the mark. Most play the ball infringements these days are due to the tackled player moving forward or sideways. The markers are disadvantaged and usually concede a penalty. This used to be a rule, what happened to it?

3. If you can't hang on the ball, bad luck.

Latest posts