What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henry learns nothing: Tongue still hooker. (Team Named)

Timbo

Staff member
Monaghan on standby for NSW
r13_preview_pic.jpg-ce9c09032726e3ecb96e23646f4e2c7c.jpg
03 Jun, 2008
spacer.gif
The CFMEU Canberra Raiders have named an extended bench for this weekends clash with the Eels at Parramatta Stadium, after centre Joel Monaghan was called into the NSW squad today for the second state of Origin match in Brisbane.
Monaghan is on standby for the injured Mark Gasnier, and will come into the side if the St George-Illawarra centre is ruled out through injury. With NSW winger Jarryd Hayne also in doubt through the threat of suspension, Monaghan may also find himself on the wing if Hayne is suspended later this week.
Despite the chance of selection for the Blues, Raiders Coach Neil Henry named Monaghan in the Raiders line-up to face the Eels on Saturday, with Brett Kelly named on the extended bench.
If Monaghan is drafted in the NSW team Kelly will come onto the wing for the Green Machine, with Colin Best moving infield to the centres.
Henry said the Raiders would prepare this week as if Monaghan was already in the Blues team, with Colin Best moving infield.
"There's a chance Joel could still play, but we trained this morning with Colin Best in the centres," Henry said. "We're preparing as if Joel will not be here, but there is a chance he could play."
Henry said Monaghan's selection was well deserved, for both him as an individual and for the Raiders.
"He's been good for us this year and created some attacking opportunities for us so if he does play it's a great opportunity for him," he said. "It's a great thing for both him and the club, and reward for a good start to the season."
A small injury to Scott Logan was the only other concern for the Green Machine, but Henry said an extended bench gave the Raiders options for Saturday night.
"Scott Logan has a small hip flexor problem so we'll see if he's Ok, but Troy Thompson's knee has come good and after some swelling he ran quite well this morning," he said. "Michael Weyman comes into contention this week as well, so it depends on the fitness of Logan."
After serving a six week suspension Michael Weyman was also named on the extended Raiders bench, and said he's looking forward to getting back on the paddock this weekend.
"I'll just have to wait and see what happens by the end of the week," Weyman said. "I feel alright I suppose but it's been a fair while since I had a run.
"I've been training pretty hard over the last few weeks and I feel good."
"It's going to be real hard. I may struggle for the first game or so but once I get my timing and fitness back it will start to come and I'll feel a bit better.
NRL
CANBERRA RAIDERS V PARRAMATTA EELS
PARRAMATTA STADIUM, SATURDAY JUNE 7, 7.30PM

1. BRONX GOODWIN
2. COLIN BEST
3. ADRIAN PURTELL
4. JOEL MONAGHAN
5. DAVID MILNE
6. TERRY CAMPESE
7. TODD CARNEY
8. SCOTT LOGAN
9. ALAN TONGUE (c)
10. DANE TILSE
11. GLEN TURNER
12. NIGEL PLUM
13. JOE PICKER
14. JOSH MILLER
15. GLEN BUTTRISS
16. TREVOR THURLING
17. TROY THOMPSON
18. BEN JONES
19. BRETT KELLY
20. MICHAEL WEYMAN
COACH: NEIL HENRY
TOYOTA CUP
CANBERRA RAIDERS V PARRAMATTA EELS
PARRAMATTA STADIUM, SATURDAY JUNE 7, 5.15PM

1. LEVI FREEMAN
2. STEVE NAUGHTON
3. JARRAD KENNEDY
4. JUSTIN CARNEY
5. DRURY LOW
6. MICHAEL PICKER
7. MATT SMITH
8. NICK SKINNER
9. TRAVIS WADDELL
10. ANDREW EDWARDS
11. ZAC MERRITT
12. JOEL THOMPSON
13. SHAUN FENSOM (c)
14. BROCK DUNN
15. DIEGO CODYRE
16. TODD RHEINBERGER
17. MATT BRITT
18. TODD GRACE
19. DAN SCANLAN
COACH: TONY ADAM

Macko8

Juniors
what an absolute joke.
i think henry is just trying to run us further and further down the ladder.
seems like he couldnt care less.

skeepe

Immortal
I'm a big fan of that team. I think stability is important. Bear in mind the fact that that's exactly the same team that flogged Souths. They're due for another good performance. I think we'll win, and win well.

Timbo

Staff member
Seriously what a shocking call. Our terrible dummy half service killed us last week.

Buttriss should have started, and where the hell is Hinchcliffe, he's due back by now surely.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
That team punished South a couple of weeks back so I guess I'm not too surprised. Actually not really fussed about the selection as a whole either. I don't think Buttriss and Hinchcliffe can handle lengthy periods on the field at the moment so picking Tongue at hooker seems like the option.

julian87

Juniors
I'm a big fan of that team. I think stability is important. Bear in mind the fact that that's exactly the same team that flogged Souths.

Souths are the dregs of the league atm, and anything less than a convincing win against them in Canberra would have not been acceptable. We were hardly world beaters againt the liks of Beau Champion and Kidwell in career best form.

Yeah stability is really important, especially after such a brave and cohesive performance against a 12 man side for 50 minutes, at our home ground, which is meant to be a fortress.

green eyed mike

Juniors
Tough call with this team. I would prefer to see Hinchy in there but I think that he won't have the match fitness to go for 80 minutes. In some ways I would prefer to see Buttriss start with Tongue at 13 and then move him into dummy half when Buttriss got too tired. At least that way the service would be good at the beginning as it was against the Storm.

Without Monas our outside backs look pretty soft although Best at centre is probably a better spot for him.

This pack can do the goods but it depends if they turn up or not.

I am going to the game but will be taking the Eels in the tipping comp and screaming for the Raiders.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Don't think there was any footy in Qld cup last week besides a rep match. Souths Logan have the bye this week so it is hard for the others to get game time. I think we will be stuck with this lot for at least the next 2-3 weeks.

Cryptic

Juniors
Come on taking the Eels in tipping? Have you seen the players they are missing this weekend thanks to injury, origin, and Eric Grothe sucking (and being dropped, hehe)...

So far this season we have had 2 decent games , the Souths game and half a game against the Tigers and the half against the Storm, all at canberra. We have been touched up nearly every other game, with pretty much the team we are fielding this weekend, how long do we need to keep under performing before we see changes, I hope we smash parra and I'll will be cheering my heart out till fulltime ,but I cant see how we can field the same team the same halves pairing that we can pull a total form reversal no matter what players parra fields.

colly raider

Juniors
Come on taking the Eels in tipping? Have you seen the players they are missing this weekend thanks to injury, origin, and Eric Grothe sucking (and being dropped, hehe)...

With our away form over the last couple of years, I think Eels will win easily. I hope that I am worng, but hard to look past them.:(
I have never tipped against the Raiders, but it may be time.

edabomb

First Grade
FFS I'm absolutely sick of seeing Tilse in first grade. Seriously, what has he ever done to warrant all these chances? I can barely remember five good plays he's made in his time here.

Bay56

First Grade
Henry would have to be the thickest brick on the pallet.

Some players just walk their way back into the team after injury either by the fact of talent or coaches pet ... Tilse would walk his in, Weyman doesnt.

Tongue at 9 ... nothing more needs to be said.

The sooner management drop henry the better.

azza

Juniors
If you were locked in a room with Elliott and Henry, and had a gun with only one bullet (non-lethal of course), what would you do?