What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henson Park Hotel.

boo_boo

Juniors
Just read in today's paper that there is a gathering at the HPH today to protest it's intended closure.
Bit to late for me to show up but i hope whoever gets there today makes some noise & lets the owners know that we oppose it's closure & wish for it to remain open & kept as a viable community asset.

silverfox

Juniors
problem is they dont sponsor the jets which they should as if it wasnt for the jets they would of closed long ago, Dont know why the jets are supporting them as well. And i read the paper - whats the sale of KB got to do with the HPH??? thats a bit strange but so is the whole jets support for them.

boo_boo

Juniors
silverfox, i dont want to get into the politics of what's currently happening at Newtown but i just think it would be a real shame to see the Henson Park Hotel get sold.
It seems like the big corporates dont think of the 'little people' anymore & we are losing all those iconic treasures that we once thought we would never lose.
Your entitled to your opinion but i support keeping the HPH open just for the prosperity of the community if nothing else.

silverfox

Juniors
yeh boo boo i do agree with that - and its happening more and more which it shouldnt due to big corporates. The jets should try and take it over as it would then be a true club house and better than the one they have a tempe!

boo_boo

Juniors
Well you never know mate.
It could happen if these threats to close down the HPH gain any further momentum.

bluebag43

Juniors
Let's hope the Jets think about buying HPH.

It is the ideal location for the Clubhouse and with a decent bistro menu it could turn around financially!

boo_boo

Juniors
Yeah with memorabilia, photos, jerseys, posters the whole lot.
It would be a massive boost for the club to know they have this hotel as it's own clubhouse.
Maybe we should start up a fund to show them were serious.

silverfox

Juniors
jets have a $1m they got from narallen properties - wouldnt take much to take over the license and turn it into a community club.

Don't have much sympathy for the HPH after they stopped sponsoring the Jets. I mean, a couple of thousand bucks isn't much in todays world of pubs but it would have provided a stack of publicity that they could have used in getting fans though the door on game days.

Did the HPH ever do anything for Newtown since they returned to the lower grades? I have been taking my brother for the last 3-4 years whenever I'm in Sydney, and I have never seen anything from the HPH regarding the football club. Not even a blue streamer or balloon on game day.

By the sound of it, they were happy to take the local punters $$$ but gave sweet bugger all in return.

At the end of the day though, they are a small hotel away from public transport and a fair walk up that bloody hill from any main road. Not exactly the ideal location for a pub in this day and age.

stumped

Juniors
Well you never know mate.
It could happen if these threats to close down the HPH gain any further momentum.
well the question still remains to the missing $1.1M, now that would be a great starting point when it comes down to paying a deposit, then again if we could only find out where the funds are??? perhaps just perhaps someone might find it in their heart and fess up as to where it is...............

stumped

Juniors
Did the HPH ever do anything for Newtown since they returned to the lower grades? I have been taking my brother for the last 3-4 years whenever I'm in Sydney, and I have never seen anything from the HPH regarding the football club. Not even a blue streamer or balloon on game day.

By the sound of it, they were happy to take the local punters $$$ but gave sweet bugger all in return.

At the end of the day though, they are a small hotel away from public transport and a fair walk up that bloody hill from any main road. Not exactly the ideal location for a pub in this day and age.
c'mon, are you serious? they have some out dated merchandise on display for sale in the HPH, oops, I forgot, profits from merchandise goes the owners and family of the merchandise company and not the Jets

stumped

Juniors
Yeah with memorabilia, photos, jerseys, posters the whole lot.
It would be a massive boost for the club to know they have this hotel as it's own clubhouse.
Maybe we should start up a fund to show them were serious.
if you get enough people together and do gat a fund started, I will happily donate, however I would insist that the funds are not held or managed by the Jets in any way, shape or form.
I am reliably informed that the person who looks after the clubs accounts just can't cope.

c'mon, are you serious? they have some out dated merchandise on display for sale in the HPH, oops, I forgot, profits from merchandise goes the owners and family of the merchandise company and not the Jets
That's right, I forgot about the dated + faded gear behind the bar!

Whenever I got gear for my brother, it was either from the website, game day at the ground, or at the stall on King St that springs up on game day.

boo_boo

Juniors
We could also start up a Facebook page just to let people know of what's happening, any developments etc.
I'm still having withdrawal symptoms from the Hopetoun Hotel's closing so to have another fine establishment down under the corporates hammer is very hard to accept.

condochook

Juniors
we could also start up a facebook page just to let people know of what's happening, any developments etc.
I'm still having withdrawal symptoms from the hopetoun hotel's closing so to have another fine establishment down under the corporates hammer is very hard to accept.

i just did on my page
james spiropoulos is my name

NZ Jet

Juniors
I'd hate to see the HPH no longer operate as a pub. A beer there after the game is a true part of the Netwown Jets / Henson Park day out. The current licencee may not be supporting the Jets, but the HPH have supported them in the past and licencees change over time so who's to say they wouldn't get behind the Jets in the future - in the meantime we have followed those who do support the Jets and gone to the pub in Marrickville Road, The Bowling Club and The Golden Barley. We can return to the HPH one day when they are supporting the Jets - but not if it's no longer there.

BooBoo - know what you mean about the Hopetoun. Felt the same when they redeveloped the 3 Weeds at Rozelle 10 years ago - and don't anyone tell me its still a pub!:x

boo_boo

Juniors
Yeah NZ Jet it's a shame that these old pubs have to die under such circumstances.
After seeing Redfern Oval go through a sex change courtesy of Clover Moore & Peter Holmes a Court then seeing venues like the Hopetoun Hotel die & Henson Park Hotel livelihood get threatened i just hope that some common sense goes through these peoples minds when addressing these things.