What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Herald employs dickheads!

mean

Juniors
Article in today's paper, that I just couldn't resist replying to.

Rugby should clean up in Storm aftermath

By Gregor Paul

The timing is perfect. Just as rugby signed off on a massive broadcast deal that will help fund a new venture in Melbourne, rugby league in that city discovered it was sitting on dynamite.
No one in rugby will feel the slightest sympathy for a code that pillaged at will during the amateur days.
And for many in the 15-man game, what has happened at the Storm is comeuppance not only for historic grievances related to recruitment, but it is also comeuppance for a sport that has become morally and ethically bereft.
Rugby, while far from being squeaky clean these days, does at least try to adhere to core values of honesty, humility, respect, tolerance and compassion.
In Dan Carter and Richie McCaw they have two of the best role models any code could have and there are plenty more.
League on the other hand seems to be barely able to go five minutes without discovering yet another bampot in their midst. And it's not hi-jinks kind of stuff, either.
Alcohol is clearly a problem in the NRL. A big problem. Booze and league players have proved the most volatile mix in recent years with quite staggering revelations last year being made about Cronulla players involved in group sex.
Before that there was the Bulldogs scandal in 2004; Mark Gasnier's ghastly phonecall that same year; Greg Bird; Craig Gower; Willie Mason; Nate Myles; Todd Carney ... and even Alfie Langer.
What the Storm have done is confirm that league is a sport rotten to the core. Even the white collars in a blue collar sport can't be trusted now.
Rugby couldn't ask for a greater opportunity to not only establish itself in Melbourne but also within league's strongholds.
It's Melbourne, though, where rugby must pounce. Australia is the obvious growth market for rugby in the Southern Hemisphere and Victoria is virtually untapped.
There are corporate dollars to chase in a city with a rich financial services background. Even with such a strong AFL presence, an established and growing football culture as well as Formula One and the Australian Open, Melbourne can financially support a Super 15 side.
The Storm and the questionable culture of the NRL should make it that bit easier for the Rebels. Melbourne is a city with a burgeoning, educated, middle class and rugby is a sport with a culture and values that will appeal to those sick of NRL, and to a lesser extent AFL, boof-heads.
Surely rugby will be rewarded for its promotion of ethically sound, well-balanced young men?
The arrival of semi-articulate, polite, community-spirited Rebels players in Melbourne will help rugby win hearts and minds.
When the top end of a sport has respectful, courteous and inspirational people on show, it does much to persuade parents they should push their children in that direction.
League had its chance. It blew it. Now it's rugby's turn and all the sport has to do is be itself.

Link to some of the responses:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10640643&pnum=2

League only has to worry when Union gets rid of 3 point drop kick and 3 point penalty, just ask NSW and ACT fans who watch a boring as bat sh*t game last night, with only 1 try in 80min!
Sky News openly stated it was hard to find any highlights in the game!

MKEB...

Staff member
I cant help but nearly wet myself reading the last line, "... all Rugby needs to do is be itself" :lol::lol::lol:

Micistm

Bench
That article articulates why i detest union. Snobs and wankers infest the code.

Post of the year! I have no issue with Union as a game, and watch the odd game...it's the media. That holier than thou, superior attitude just rankles you. If there are chips on the shoulders of League fans, it's journalistic morons like this one that do it

Micistm

Bench
Lol, the more i read that the more I'm shocked. Pricks that biased at least make some vague attempt to hide it! That's close to being the worst one I've ever read.

Skinner

Coach
Skimmed it this morning, it's sanctimonious bullsh*t. Jeez I hate that code purely and simply because of wanker hacks like Gregor Paul. Folks with reverse names are always dodgy (with apologies to Motu Tony....).

mean

Juniors
I just had to post my reply to that alien!

mean (New Zealand) 12:22PM Sunday, 25 Apr 2010

Do you realise how pathetic your anti-league diatribe comes across?
Not only do you lack impartiality, but you also come across as a desperate advocate for a code obviously threatened by it's own inadequacies and progressive shift of allegiance. It's difficult to determine whether your rant is childish or the fact that you're inebriated by rugby's arrogance. You too, should adhere to the "core values" otherwise you'll mirror the similarities or being boring and ineffectual.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
This is sort of a more general point, but re: his comments about players getting drunk, drugs, group sex etc- the sad truth is, wealthy and successful people in general, in all fields, are out there on the weekends snorting coke and getting off their face and smashing bitches left right and centre. These are the trappings of success, whether you are rich or poor, middle class or working class, whatever.

Personally I think it's grotesque that this is human nature; others will see it otherwise. But I think it's ridiculously naive to assume that anyone with a high profile and access to the trappings of success lives a life of tee-total abstinence- and certainly ridiculous to assume that a whole group of people act that way.

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Mate unions had its fair share of sh*t, wife beatings by current ABs to legends stealing wifes to players getting sent home for "indiscretions" but the bottom line here is no one gives two flying f**king hoots about union and that the only way they can attract attention outside of the "cant admit union is sh*t" club is to call on another sports bad publicity to make their sport sound saint like, typical.

Tell us what is good about 1 try by pick and goes in 80mins instead of saying why league is bad, they sound like a religion. Hows that for stereotyping!

Micistm

Bench
I just had to post my reply to that alien!

mean (New Zealand) 12:22PM Sunday, 25 Apr 2010

Do you realise how pathetic your anti-league diatribe comes across?
Not only do you lack impartiality, but you also come across as a desperate advocate for a code obviously threatened by it's own inadequacies and progressive shift of allegiance. It's difficult to determine whether your rant is childish or the fact that you're inebriated by rugby's arrogance. You too, should adhere to the "core values" otherwise you'll mirror the similarities or being boring and ineffectual.

I followed your lead and sent in a comment too- I reckon we should go a step further, cut n paste and email it to the Footy show so they can take the piss out of it. If you didn't know how self righteous our Rugger media is here you'd think it was a tongue in cheek joke

Micistm

Bench
This is sort of a more general point, but re: his comments about players getting drunk, drugs, group sex etc- the sad truth is, wealthy and successful people in general, in all fields, are out there on the weekends snorting coke and getting off their face and smashing bitches left right and centre. These are the trappings of success, whether you are rich or poor, middle class or working class, whatever.

Personally I think it's grotesque that this is human nature; others will see it otherwise. But I think it's ridiculously naive to assume that anyone with a high profile and access to the trappings of success lives a life of tee-total abstinence- and certainly ridiculous to assume that a whole group of people act that way.

Ain't that the truth. Any number of VH1 behind the music or Hollywood shows show this, as do numerous sports stars in many codes internationally.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
i added my two cents online

the biggest problem with rugby union are people like gregor paul, who believe that rugby union players and administrators are squeaky clean angels, and then deliver a pompous, holier-than-thou attitude over everybody else. anybody with some self respect involved in rugby union would do well to distance themselves from this kind of utter gutter trash writing. you should be embarrassed to write such drivel, mr. paul, and the herald should be just as embarrassed for being mad enough to print it. for shame.

Latest posts