What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here we go again - Raiders stand Joel Thompson down

Chachi

Bench
Sober your judgement supresses it you think about the consequences of your actions, drunk you dont care about the consequences of your actions.

Agree to disagree Pauly, I think that if you behave in a particular way sober or drunk it is part of your character.
I tend to agree. To keep the footy theme running I can't imagine a bloke like Alan Tongue would do that sort of thing in a million years even if he was as pissed as a newt.

Being drunk just suppresses any inhibitions you may have otherwise. You don't magically turn into a different human being just because you've got alcohol in your body. It's a piss poor excuse for bad behaviour and if you know you have a tendancy to act differently when you're drunk it's probably an even worse endictment on who you are if you continue to do so.

I've done some stupid things when I've been drunk (not anywhere near as stupid as hitting a woman though) and you can't blame anyone or anything else for the consequences.

Last edited:

skeepe

Immortal
Well I hope some people are embarrassed about going off prematurely...

Charge dropped against Raider Thompson

The Canberra Raiders say they are keen to move on with Joel Thompson's rugby league career now an assault charge against him has been dropped.

The 21-year-old forward was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm after it was alleged he hit his girlfriend during an argument in January.

Thompson returned to training in February after entering a plea of not guilty.

The case was due to be heard in the ACT Magistrates Court later this month where Raiders chief executive Don Furner was to be called to give evidence.

But the Director of Public Prosecutions has now formally dropped the charge.

A spokesman for the Raiders says the club is glad the matter has been dealt with and is satisfied with the decision.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/10/08/2708001.htm

A timely reminder not to judge players before they've had their day in court, I would think.

Noa

First Grade
Well I hope some people are embarrassed about going off prematurely...

A timely reminder not to judge players before they've had their day in court, I would think.

They know who they are.

_Johnsy

Referee
On a technical point, it does not mean he did not assault a person, just that the charge was dropped.

It could have been a evidence issue (footage, positive identification of the alleged assaulter, etc), complaint may have been withdrawn by the complainant. There are literally many reasons why a charge has been dropped.

skeepe

Immortal
On a technical point, it does not mean he did not assault a person, just that the charge was dropped.

It could have been a evidence issue (footage, positive identification of the alleged assaulter, etc), complaint may have been withdrawn by the complainant. There are literally many reasons why a charge has been dropped.

Sure.

But from a legal standpoint, it means he's not guilty and that's good enough for me.

Latest posts