What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's a thought...

Chachi

Bench
I wonder if our management have considered purchasing a number of those new units/townhouses that are being built in Bruce next to the stadium. They could then rent them out to potential recruits at, lets say, "around about" market rates as a bit of an incentive to sign up. The player would then be able to live right near the stadium and training facilities in a brand new house, maybe already furnished (if required) and it doesn't mean they have to go through the hassle of buying here if they don't want. They can then spend all their contract on playstation games, poker nights, scantily clad women and fast cars or whatever the hell rows their boat. :p If the players don't take them up as an option then we could just rent them out to the general public for the year. Either way it's probably a good investment.

I know that sort of stuff gets included in the salary cap in some way, but I'm sure there are some creative accountants out there that can make this sort of proposition more attractive to players. Meh, I don't know if it'll work - maybe they're doing something similar already (I saw Zilly riding his bike to training around there the other day), but I just thought it's something they should consider if not already.

Timbo

Staff member
Chachi said:
I wonder if our management have considered purchasing a number of those new units/townhouses that are being built in Bruce next to the stadium. They could then rent them out to potential recruits at, lets say, "around about" market rates as a bit of an incentive to sign up. The player would then be able to live right near the stadium and training facilities in a brand new house, maybe already furnished (if required) and it doesn't mean they have to go through the hassle of buying here if they don't want. They can then spend all their contract on playstation games, poker nights, scantily clad women and fast cars or whatever the hell rows their boat. :p If the players don't take them up as an option then we could just rent them out to the general public for the year. Either way it's probably a good investment.

I know that sort of stuff gets included in the salary cap in some way, but I'm sure there are some creative accountants out there that can make this sort of proposition more attractive to players. Meh, I don't know if it'll work - maybe they're doing something similar already (I saw Zilly riding his bike to training around there the other day), but I just thought it's something they should consider if not already.

I was thinking the same thing.

If we did it ala the Brumbies it'd work magnificently, the players wouldn't 'live' in Canberra at all, they'd just play and stay during the season, and their 'home' could still be in Sydney/Brisbane etc.

raidersforme

Juniors
Can be done very easily and Raiders would benefit with tax deductions they buy a complex or building it is official Raiders Branded housing they can then lease it out at as liitle as 1 dollar per week and take say 120 off salary take the negative gearing aspect with depreciation as tax offset and have happy youths and seniors in the building together all players could then rent out there own house's and earn extra income

Great idea have as timbo struck me before but these inepts (management)won't do or not enough REAL MONEY return for them

Bay56

First Grade
raidersforme said:
Can be done very easily and Raiders would benefit with tax deductions they buy a complex or building it is official Raiders Branded housing they can then lease it out at as liitle as 1 dollar per week and take say 120 off salary take the negative gearing aspect with depreciation as tax offset and have happy youths and seniors in the building together all players could then rent out there own house's and earn extra income

Great idea have as timbo struck me before but these inepts (management)won't do or not enough REAL MONEY return for them

I dont think the ATO would take too well to non-arms length deals such as this with respect to claiming deductions associated with negative gearing.

The NRL would also scrutinise the deal out of existence.

Quite frankly I'm not in favour of this mercenary type approach of recruting players. I'd prefer they live here and contribute to the community and be role models to our younger genera... yea OK maybe your idea has merit :lol:

PRKLCD

Juniors
It's a good idea. BUT other clubs would also do it.

Imagine the roosters offering players a Bondi beach apartment or Manly or the sharks or the gold coast - we would be in the same position as were are in now. Hard to get players to come here

jed

First Grade
Timbo said:
If we did it ala the Brumbies it'd work magnificently, the players wouldn't 'live' in Canberra at all, they'd just play and stay during the season, and their 'home' could still be in Sydney/Brisbane etc.
Brumbies season goes for 4 months, plus pre-season training. NRL season goes for 7 months plus pre-season. It's a little different, although their "home" might be in Sydney, they'd spend more than 2/3 of the year in Canberra.

raidersforme

Juniors
Bay56 said:
I dont think the ATO would take too well to non-arms length deals such as this with respect to claiming deductions associated with negative gearing.

The NRL would also scrutinise the deal out of existence.

Quite frankly I'm not in favour of this mercenary type approach of recruting players. I'd prefer they live here and contribute to the community and be role models to our younger genera... yea OK maybe your idea has merit :lol:

They could not care it all comes down to FBT where there is a 48% tax so player is owing .48 cents who cares there are legal ways to make this happen easily

On the nrl issue i realise it is part of total salary and that's what they scrutinize know but to say to a player hey here's your salary rent out your place and live in our village for free has a lot of pull to it no stamp duty agents fee's or conveyancing spend the money where you want

In america all professional sports clubs have there own "Village" where they send rookies for cheap living versus what they are paid the club wins

legend

Coach
This is nothing new. The Parramatta Eels own half of North Parramatta and use the units they own to house the young kids they bring down from the bush.

Tim Smith lives about 100 metres from Parra Stadium in a house owned by the Eels.

Raider Azz

Bench
we used to do it back in the day too, daley, stuart and others used to stay in a boarding house on seiffert oval.

jed

First Grade
Raider Azz said:
we used to do it back in the day too, daley, stuart and others used to stay in a boarding house on seiffert oval.
but then they tore it down so they could use the oval for footy

thickos

First Grade
:lol:

Not a bad idea but don't we already have a few share houses going for juniors?? The guys on big coin will just buy/rent a nice place anyway.

I rememeber when the 2003 bushfires went through, didn't one of the junior share houses almost get burnt down or something?

woodgers

Bench
I don't recall Thickos.

I know that Joel and Michael Monaghan got caught up in it though. Joel used to have brown hair and eyebrows before that terrible day :D

Bay56

First Grade
thickos said:
:lol:

Not a bad idea but don't we already have a few share houses going for juniors?? The guys on big coin will just buy/rent a nice place anyway.

I rememeber when the 2003 bushfires went through, didn't one of the junior share houses almost get burnt down or something?

We definitely had them in the past with some nice ol lady cooking for the boys or something

And yes one did burn down in the Great Fires of 2003

Philby

Juniors
jed said:
but then they tore it down so they could use the oval for footy
The Taj mahal is still there. Now the Quenbeyan Blues use it to rent out to players. Its the same house that Croker and Daley shared when they came down as young pups

reptar

Juniors
Philby said:
The Taj mahal is still there. Now the Quenbeyan Blues use it to rent out to players. Its the same house that Croker and Daley shared when they came down as young pups
You're not used to Jed's sense of humour, are you? :lol: